Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what kind of mileage one would expect to see from a 2005 999 R I have a shot at picking one up at a great deal, except it has only 1 black key and if I run into any issues with the ecu or dash it will cost me about 4K to go with a new set up for the ecu ,lock,dash and so on. The bike has 41,000 kms on it and looks in fairly good shape. Just wondering what some other people have in the way of milage on their 999 R's ? Thanks for posting. Steve

·
Registered
601 Posts
A guy I used to ride with (DZucati999r on here) Road his over 32,000 miles.. I Believe he then lost rod bearings and had the rotating assembly redone. He's back on the road and still going as far as I know! His was an 05 Model 999R I do believe..

·
Registered
56 Posts
4k for a new red key, ecu, etc? I know it I an "R" , but a frien of mine has his redone because he didn't have a red key and Ducati only charged about $750 (from what memory serves). HUD was an 05 749s though. Wouldn't think there was a difference minus a different flash on the ecu...

·
Registered
27 Posts
When was the last time the major service was done? As I recall every 12,000 mi major service the case has to be split and the titanium rod bolts need to be replaced along with the belts. Yep the "R" is a different animal.

561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When was the last time the major service was done? As I recall every 12,000 mi major service the case has to be split and the titanium rod bolts need to be replaced along with the belts. Yep the "R" is a different animal.
I've never heard that one before ? I would imagine that has been done already......hoping like hell it did . It just had a service done on it when it got to where it is now, belts,valves,fluids all done. Thanks guys for the friendly info ,please keep it coming as I am still quite interested as to how many miles these motors last without a total tear down.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Fwiw first I have heard rod bolts should be replaced as well,and consider the s model has the ti rods as well.
really I would think how hard the bikes been ridden really comes into play.a street ridden bike has an easy life compared to a bike that's raced.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
For the amount of money a lower mileage 999R can be had for, I would pass....
IF the rod bearing or main bearing should go your into it for a small fortune. I just had the left main bearing go in my base 999. It ended up costing me over $3K for all new bearings, crank balancing, new rod bolts, etc. A 999R is quite a bit more expensive parts wise vs a base model.
One small issue and your spending a fortune to fix it, not to say a lower mileage R won't suffer the same fate, my 999 had 16,500 miles when the bearing let go.
There are just too many Rs out there which are a better buy.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Just FIY, for those missing the red key there's several options other than buying a new everything. Of course a new everything has few benefits but it's not a MUST...

For example you could get your existing key cloned by this guy: AL&K | Motorcycle and Scooter Keys and Key Blanks | Transponder Keys

You send him your stock key and he makes an exact copy, not only cut, but also with the chip cloned. I'm sure others can do it, but I've used this guy and he works.

This doesn't solve everything, I know.

An alternative would be removing the immobilizer check from the ECU. In my case I've used the flasher developed by JPL (the guy who coded ducatidiag). That way you can have a key cut but not coded and be able to start the bikes.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
That's not true. Otherwise the 999S would have to do the same thing since they use the very same Ti rods: that's not mentioned anywhere in the workshop manual nor is something I've ever heard....

The only thing with Ti rods is that they can be opened up so many times. I do tend to skip conversation about blinker fluid, oil change intervals, gasoline choices, and alikes: probably there you would find similar suggestions

561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you share the price you will get a better indication from the knowledgeable BM's here how great a deal it is.
$7500 clean title , never down, no scrapes or scuffs,full leo system.PS I'm still looking to see some mileage for these bikes guys . Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Thats about as cheap as I ever heard of for even an S bike. My first question is why would he sell so low when he doesn't have to? Do you know this person? I would be suspicious. Sounds like an 05 bike, is it? I don't think my 03 has ti rods, don't know for sure.

561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it's a 05 why do you ask ? How many miles on you 03 ? That was the main question here. If worse comes to worse I can always part it out,I'm not going to loose $ on it in any way shape or form, I would like to ride it as my 1198s is a bit uncomfortable compared to my old trusty 999s was.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My 2006 R has about 12K miles of hard riding but with tender loving care given on a regular basis.
Problems: a little dribble of coolant from a hose fitting, a really crappy headlight and that's it.
As most may know the R motor is different in many ways from the S and base.
Valve retainers are different as well and are a PIA to adjust.
Are you certain it is a true R?
One sold here recently with low miles for about $9K US. that's as cheap as I've ever seen.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a 06 999r currently, I will give you my experience with it so far.

05-06 999R reliability; a love story.

I bought it november of 07. I bought it new from the dealer with a 57 mm termi, stripped the street stuff off, sold that to finance race stuff, drained the coolant, took off the kick stand, bought a headlight off a MadAss Sachs scooter from a friend, (think tiny halogen piaa), cut a nice circle in the race upper, painted the body work and fitted the race bits, and You got a race 999r that can very easily convert to a street bike (with the addition of the headlight and a bar end mirror.) For a kickstand.... What ever is close to lean it against will work!

I rode it hard and fast everywhere those first 2 years of owning it, Racing OMRRA and doing an occasional thunder hill AFM weekend. I did road trips to canada from my home in Portland Oregon, with my numbers covered with white duct tape, (which was funny at the border), and all over the twisties in the eastern Oregon desert, as well as Northern California. I even rode it to work pretty much every day in the portland rain in the off season. And raced it in the Portland rain durning the race season, ha! But I also took care of it.

So at the end of 09 I had 10 thousand miles on it, about 5 thousand of those were hard race and track day miles on it, and the majority of the rest was fast street riding and touring, with a little commuting about as it's only 20 blocks to work.

It was bone stock off the showroom, motor, exhaust, and ecu wise. We checked the belts at recommended intervals, checked the valves at the normal recommended intervals from break in, I think it went 3000, 6000 to 12,000 (we never got to 12,000 but more on that latter) I changed the oil every thousand miles with whatever fancy silkolene my mechanic hands me, and the filter and screen every other oil change.

Chassis wise I raced with stock suspension, and spring weights till the middle of the 09 season when I found myself leading a class championship and runner up in another and needed to find a second or so to give myself the best chance. It wasn't tired at all, just needed the fork oil changed so we sprung it for my weight and revalved the front, and went from the stock spring in the rear, which was an 8, went slightly stiffer at I think 8.5, or 9, can't remember what we did in the front other than we went slightly stiffer. I weigh 170 as a guide.

Late in the 09 race season the stock clutch started slipping from race starts and clutching up wheelies, so that got replaced.

There were problems here and there, and some happen fairly regular still. I have replaced the rear master cylinder 3 times, as the heat off the exhaust cooks them over time. Went thru a few clutch and front brake masters that first year till I got some good ones that didnt leak (I use stock as I concentrated on supersport). but other than that, I can't think of anything.

Knowing that it is usually cheaper to do preventative maintenance than rebuild a blown motor, at the end of the 09 season we tore it down. I worked that bike over, and over, my mechanic was amazed at the condition of the cylinders, gears, bearings, everything looked great when he opened it. We did a proper freshen up, which included checking the balance of the crank, rods, replacing the bearings seals and yes, those TI rod bolts are 300 a piece, I remember that for sure! I only wish we had of replaced the pistons. I made a gamble, they looked fine, but had been heat cycled a million and a half times and turns out had some fatigued despite looking fantastic. No hard feelings tword my mechanic. He warned me, but we were already getting tword 5 grand in parts and labor and that is with good sponsorship discounts. So I saved like 900 on new pistons and that is good tire money right there!

We started the 2010 race season and the first weekend the termi header cracked in a big gapping way at the vert cylinder during practice. Got it welded up at the track luckily. I did a closer look at the exhaust latter and there were more cracks in and around the bread box. I would go on to weld that exhaust up 6 more times, just waiting for it to pop again now in fact. Race exhausts turns out aren't supposed to have 20,000 miles on them.

2 race weekends after the rebuild my rear Piston skirt let go in turn one at T Hill, which is a fast 4th gear left hander. That was a little spooky, but I managed to keep it upright.

I kinda wish I never opened it up, lol. It might of gone for a few more thousand miles!

Funnily I checked the boards here when i got home from california and found a low milage 06 999r motor thought to have about 5 thousand on it. Bought it got it shipped to the mechanics, after checking the valves and giving it new belts my mechanic threw it in the night before a race.

The bike is now retired from racing but still gets out to tear up canyon or 2 and commute to work, but the exhaust is just too brittle after 20,000 miles on the chassis and 2 motors to handle high revs on the track without blowing a whole somewhere on it, and to beat the 1198s out there you have to really wring the 999r's neck.

Although the exhaust is brittle, the bike and motor certainly are not. 10,000 race and street miles on one motor, 10,000, on another, and 20,000 on the chassis. That's my 999r story.

I love That bike. Its gots soul, i never downed it racing, it looks amazing, it means business even leaned up against a telephone poll, it's done a lot, got me bunches of smiles and trophies and some speedy moto prototypes parts may have been tested by myself, on that bike. I love that its had water wetter in it since new. And there are pics of it on the 09 speedy moto catalog.

As far as price goes I can't tell you if it's a good deal for you. But I can say that my experience has been good, fun to money wise it's paid off well. I did the normal maintenance and for the most part it was unusually heavy wear and tear that ultimately was its downfall, but in my case no more wear than a gsxr or r1 could crack under. Yea, the parts are more expensive but i would think if your not racing that your problems would be less.! Plus you got this great community as a resource!

I am stoked to have enough spares with my original blown motor to build another motor when I get around to it! Or maybe sell to you if you need something. :)

I hope that helps!

·
Registered
405 Posts
red key and myths dispelled

Where did you hear such nonsense? The only time the cases need to be split is because of a catastrophic failure of a bearing, rod or other act of God. Also, the Panklel rod bolts need special grease but can be re used. Mine had a big end rod bearing failure on the horizontal cylinder, which then caused a cracked piston. All back together and working better than ever.I'd be concerned about that bike being hot because R owners are pretty careful about that red key.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Where did you hear such nonsense? The only time the cases need to be split is because of a catastrophic failure of a bearing, rod or other act of God. Also, the Panklel rod bolts need special grease but can be re used. Mine had a big end rod bearing failure on the horizontal cylinder, which then caused a cracked piston. All back together and working better than ever.I'd be concerned about that bike being hot because R owners are pretty careful about that red key.
Dealer told me this when I said I was looking for an "R".

561 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks DRAT for the good read, and if you'r ever up in BC(Kelowna area) give me a shout and I can take you on some of our roads here(not sea to sky)as it's pretty straight since the Olympics and covered with cops and nowhere to run. Yes it is a REAL R (I do know my bikes) The dealer here bought it when they first opened up as it was going to be a month or so before they got a shipment of bikes from Ducati and with no Ducati's in the showroom on an open house would look kinda weird , so they wholesaled this one along with another 998 sp out of Vancouver. The teck there(a good friend of mine) did the valves,belts,fluids and gave it a good run through and when it was hooked up to the Ducati computer to finalize the service , it wouldn't communicate with their computer without the red key , and they didn't have the red key to complete the service so there it has sat for the last 2 years ( I know I know the belts are 2 years old now) as they can't sell it without the red key to any Joe customer. It does have some nice bit's and pieces on it ,like brembo master pumps with folding levers, full Leo Ti system, rear wave rotor and probably a couple other bits .

I plan on selling the stock front end bodywork(nose, right and left side) as I will probably paint it like my last 999S . I like my bikes to look like I want them to look like , not like someone else intended them to look and I'm not a big fan of red.....sorry. Lucky for me I have a good friend that is one of the best painters in the area and he enjoys a challenge......minus the Corona, that one took for ever .I'll post some pictures of it when I get it home later this morning.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts