Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As in the title, looking for real-world input from 999 owners.

I've found a 2004 monopost for sale with 7,000 original kms. Price is also attractive. Always liked the look, but never seriously considered one because I have "enough" bikes already. However, I sold a 250 today, so there is a conspicuous absence in the garage. A test ride is unfortunately impossible.

So, Trip 9 owners, what are they like to ride? Any regrets?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I recently bought an 05 999s. I have only put a couple thousand miles on it. After 16 years on a GSX-R750. I love the 999. It is very different than the Suzuki, in every way. Mine is the S so it has Ohlins, and also forged Marchesini wheels. It has great smooth power delivery. I love the sounds, the engine, clutch make. the vibrations of the motor. It's not going to compare to the modern bikes for power. But the chassis can't be beat. It is a dream to ride. I have no regrets buying mine. It is a completely different class of bike from my GSX-R. My Ducati makes me appreciate my Suzuki more for what it is. I love them both because they are so different.
duc.jpg

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Compare to a 916/996, super comfortable but still Superbike feel.
Overall, well build bike and the maintenance is also much easier done than earlier bikes. I had a R and a S and now only a S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Enablers! Seriously, thanks though! Your comments mesh with what I've read and been told in the past. I'm mostly interested how they handle, but Twin Torque is always a good thing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
05 Nero 999S here. Since you are already getting "Buy It" encouragement I'll add mine to that group. I also have a 96 900SS/SP and 01 Triumph Tiger 955i in the stable.
You are already familiar with Ducati-land and all the delights and some frustrations that go along with ownership. I can only add a couple observations:
1. It really helps if you live in a area with little or no traffic and light LE activity.
2. Did someone mention heat? Once the outside temps get over about 95 degrees F, the fun factor declines somewhat as your butt and right leg begin to simmer. It's lovely in Winter.
3. As much as you may know about suspension tuning, invest in having the bike set-up by a Pro. I had Dave Moss do mine and it made a huge improvement. The S has the Ohlins suspension group.
4. Be prepared to develop a long term relationship with it. Narrow re-sale market and not everyone cares for them.

I love mine, have been on the fence about selling it. It just turned over 33K miles on yesterday's ride, and has no real service history. So every potential buyer offered silly low money. And I don't need to sell it, so I'm keeping her.
Best of luck, hoping you enjoy your 999 as much as I do mine.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mmm... black. Shit. Now I want a black one.
I live in the Alps, so tight and twisty is all we have. Yay!
Hadn't thought about the heat. I put full titanium exhaust on my S4R, it melted the chain guard off.
Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
44 Posts
The heat factor is real. It's much hotter than my 750. If you can keep moving, its a non factor. But if you are in a city, in traffic. It's very much a factor on which bike i will ride. I don't even notice heat on my GSX-R until the fan comes on at 220 deg. Then I will feel the heat blowing out the side of the fairing, but it's not an issue. The 999 will start cooking my butt, and leg at about 185 deg. And get worse in traffic. I don't want kids, and I figure Mr. Terblanche is only helping that situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts