Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I came across this bike for pretty cheap b/c the original owner was moving and needed to unload it pretty quick.
It is due for the 12k service and is needed pretty bad. I started by pulling the fairings off and giving it a good hose down and see if there were any leaks or anything of that nature. Found one that was from not tightening the drain plug and just alot of grime everywhere. I drained the gas and it was strait brown! Very old, bad gas that had been sitting for quite a while I assume. The funny part is that it started up and ran when I picked it up. I then pulled the fuel pump and replaced the filter but I think I will go with an OEM unit instead of the Napa one.
Does anyone know which way the flow is going? I assumed it was coming from the pump out. I may have to pull the pump out and recheck the filter flow direction.

I pulled the air box...all I can say is that is a PIA! i have never spent that much time removing and installing an air box on a motorcycle. I am not looking forward to doing it again.
The whole inside of the air box looked like the inside of my old YZ250F air box after riding in sand. It looked like a foam filter had deteriorated inside it and it was all sticky an such. Everything was coated. I pulled everything out and then cleaned it with TB cleaner. While I was spraying the TB's I had it on a white t-shirt and soo much crap came off that it turned it greenish-yellow and brown. I threw the shirt away.

I got everything back together and went to put gas init and the original o-ring for the fuel pump broke and gas went all over the back of the bike. I did get a new one the next day and its all sealed up now.
I went to start the bike and I think there is an issues with the starter switch b/c when I hit the button it doesn't engae the starter but then sometimes it will and keep going until without the button pushed in. I got another one ordered and on the way.
I then found that there was a hole in the started switch when I rotated it backwards so i am hoping this is the culprit. I will be taking it in to have the valves adjusted and the belts changed and a once over if needed.
I am going to change the plugs today and look at them as well as change the oil.

Are these the same as the 996 series bikes as far as issues/maintenance go?
Looking for experience and info from anyone.

Thanks,
David

Attachments

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The starter is supposed to keep cranking after one push of the button. It stops after the bike starts or if it goes for too long. The air box comes off simple . You loosen the two clips on the intake and it all comes off in one lump . If the battery isnt in top form then the starter will have difficulty engaging . its a clutch type mechanism with oval roller bearings they need to be snapped in quick. From what you are saying it sounds like the battery is a little worn.

·
Registered
388 Posts
one issue you might find is stalling when you come to a stop. you will need to raise idle, reset tps, and adjust co levels.

airbox is actually easy if you loosen the throttle body boots, and relocate the key switch.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If the airbox was as dirty as you say...the rings may be worn excessively. A compression check wouldn't hurt while you're working on everything else.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put new plugs, fuel filter(Not an OEM Filter), cleaned the airbox, TB's and put in fresh gas to start it. I switched out the stock battery to my ballstic 8-cell to help with the starting and still nothing. The fuel pump is priming when I turn the key on just like it should. One thing that I did notice was the "Red" FI button when I switch it on and off it does not do anything. Meaning typically the furl pump will cycle but it does nothing. I have a new switch coming in the mail b/c there is a hole in the side of it.

It really sounds like it is not getting any fuel to it. I even pulled the air intakes off to have a look at the injectors while it was starting and didn't see any fuel mist.

I am starting to scratch my head at this point. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed it!!! I noticed that I did not connect the TB harness to the back of the air box. Duhhh! I am way to used to working on my 996 where everything is a little more visible.

I'll wear the dummy hat today.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Are these the same as the 996 series bikes as far as issues/maintenance go?
David,
Had mine for about 9 months, and it appears that starting issues are endemic to this model. I was at a shop today where another 999 was sitting, dealing with starting problems. Don't know exactly what your issue is, but there are any threads here that discuss starting problems and their solutions. I've already installed a Shorai battery and Mike Heth's Hi-Cap wires, which helped (although the directions that came with them were not good). Didn't like the Shorai at first, but Shorai didn't reveal the cold starting procedures at that time, now better understood. If you go the lithium-ion route, you'll want the proprietary battery charger - standard ones don't work so well. I also replaced the sprag starter clutch, which helped. Others have had similar issues, all of which can be overcome. Once the problems are solved, it is reliable.

It appears that the flaking rocker problem has mostly been solved with the testastretta, but I have heard of occasional issues. My bike has fewer parts than my ST4s (996 engine) and the valves are easier to work on, for sure.

Very forgiving ride, easy to adapt to. Lots of good fun, once you get it sorted out.:D

Ron

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I paid $4,200 for it. Clean title. That's why I am parting my 996 project bike. With the wife getting a masters there is no way to have two bikes at the present time.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Lucky find.. Being a newer bike it should be more reliable. Flaking rockers and electrical charging issues are gone. Checking and adjusting valve clearances is way easier. Belts are about the same to change. As you discovered, getting through the airbox to the TB is a PIA but once you are done no real reason to reenter. Put some DP air filters in it. Also inspect the screw threads holding the air tubes in before you button the airbox down, they are prone to cross threading from carelessness during remounting. Check and clean the screen located at the bottom of the sump for debris. Be prepared to fight with the button heads holding on the plate if they never been replaced, they tend to easily round out the hex.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Haha and I thought I was the only one that couldnt believe how ducati put together the airbox on the 999 series.

I started taking apart my bike again to find my starting issues and decided to take a look at the airbox... (oh and those damn crimp on things on the gas tank vents? %$#A$$# whoever thought of that, I spent 45 minutes trying to get one of them to come undone. I was worried the whole time about scratching or dinging the tank)
anyways, after seeing everything involved after I thought I was close to getting it off, I quit. Its not at all like the 996... Maybe I will continue the project tomorrow.. or maybe just give up all together... almost to the point of parting it out. :mad: its next trip on the road maybe in hundreds of pieces in boxes...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts