Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

looking at buying my first duke in the next few weeks,

been offered what the seller says is a 999s which is the one i want, however when i just looked at the photo again there I noticed that the fairing only has 999 testastretta on it.

Would I be correct in assuming that this bike is just a stock 999, or did some of them not have the s on the fairing, and on another note, would i really notice or would it matter?

the bike will be set up properly for my weight when i get it so im just wondering does the s mean much?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Can you post a picture? that would help a lot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah no problem,

here is the photo from the ad

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I am pretty sure that the S model having Ohlins suspension will have a greater range of adjustability in the suspension for specific weight and riding style. Lighter wheels could make a differnce in turn in effort, braking and acceleration to a lesser extent. If I were you I would look to get the S model just for those two things.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The s model will Olin's all around - gold colored front shocks are dead giveaway. I would base it on price - as Olin's stuff is prob just under 2000 to add on after.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahh of course didnt think to check the forks, tbh if the stock stuff was decent enough it wouldnt really bother me, its proving hard to get a decent 999 over here, nevermind within my budget or an s

that one there has 10k miles on her and is smack on my budget, im kinda swaying towards that one,the only one that i can find thats post 2005 has 3k miles at the same price but the belts havent been changed for SIX YEARS ffs !!

·
Registered
136 Posts
The picture you posted leads me to believe that the Duc is a base model. The farings should have 999s on them as you suspect and the bike should have Ohlins suspension front and back which it appears to be missing both. It may be an S model but the fairing could have been replaced due to a crash or just because of some reason the owner had. The suspension could have also been sold off and the Showa suspension installed may have been tuned for the owner and swapped out. You should follow up with the seller.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
That is without a doubt a base model. No ohlins, no radial brakes. It is a good bike, but not an S. If you can hold out and afford an S, do it. If you just want a weekend cruiser for fun, then the base model is a great bike. Up to you on what you want to use it for. Then again, I am a hypocrite. I bought a full blown 749R (almost 749RS) track bike and am turning it back to a street bike...having something unique is nice...but not necessary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i suppose for my riding style i would benefit from the s, as in i rather enjoy stupid speeds on country roads lol. but being 6ft 2 and suffering from a dodgy hip and back thanks to a nice 4x4 driver, i was planning on spending some extra money on comfort mods, would love an s but would hate to spend the extra on an s and not be able to ride it due to discomfort.

as has been said the stock is a good bike, and im used to muscleing bikes around to make them do what i want, im telling you trying to keep up with an rsvr and a zx7r on a 1200gs isnt easy lol. So i think i will just go for this one and work with it, thanks to my uni course i have some decent enought connections with performance parts people.

so thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have an 06S, and this sure looks like a base model to me also. Another thing it should have is a "deep sump" motor. If this is a base model bike, and it's being listed as a S my first question would be "why" does the seller not be honest about it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the seller lives on a tiny island that is 1 hr flight or 4hrs boat away from england, so few buyers would consider the bike worth the time. i suppose that would lead him to want to make it seem more desirable. the other posibility is that he thinks its an s due to it being a monoposto

other than that im happy with what he is selling, and that is fsh, 10k miles, its definatly a 2005 model so its got the deep sump engine and the more ergonomic upper fairing, and tbh thats all that i insist on with it. he also seems to have bin honest with all of my qustions to dat, and rather easy to speak to

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
My base '03 999 was my street bike for several years and basically a track bike for the last few. It will do whatever you want it to. The S will have a stronger motor and the Ohlins suspension will be nicer. I often wished I had waited for an S (grass is always greener on the other side), but since I had never ridden one and didn't really know what I was missing it didn't bug me too much.

·
Registered
474 Posts
That's a base model 999.
The S has full Ohlins and a few other stuff.
Having said that, I rode a buddies base model 999 and it was amazing.
You can't go wrong if the price is right.

·
Registered
303 Posts
That is without a doubt a base model. No ohlins, no radial brakes. It is a good bike, but not an S. If you can hold out and afford an S, do it. If you just want a weekend cruiser for fun, then the base model is a great bike. Up to you on what you want to use it for. Then again, I am a hypocrite. I bought a full blown 749R (almost 749RS) track bike and am turning it back to a street bike...having something unique is nice...but not necessary.
Close analysis, but needs details:

The 999S was as far as I know introduced in 2003. Difference to "plain" model was forged Marchesini wheels instead of cast, Öhlins front fork and rear shock, deeper sump and slightly different internals assembled with tighter tolerances (factory blueprinting, you may call it). The radial brake calipers were introduced in 2005 I think, it may have been 2006 in some markets - until then, the S had "traditionally" attached brake calipers. In te picture you can't tell if the rear shock is really an Öhlins or a BOGE. they both came with yellow springs. The latter has no reservoir, obvious from the left hand side, not visible in the photo.

OK, if we take the liberty to speculate a bit, and if this bike is indeed being sold as a 2006 999S then it has the wrong year model front fork for starters. Öhlins - yes, but should have radial calipers. that fork looks like from a 03/04 999S (not a bad bike!...:) The swingarm looks correct for the year but could be either S or not, as do the cambelt covers (the ventilated, as on the 999R, were fitted to later S but not to plain 999). Bodywork is certainly non-S, as is a small detail like the heat shield on the exhaust pipe. The wheels look correct for an S.

Pure speculation: this bike is a plain 999 which has been retrofitted with an early 999S suspension, for some reason. Or, it is indeed an S, which has had a spill and the fork and bodywork was replaced, but not with exactly the right parts. But this is just speculation.

Taking down the engine and frame numbers and dropping an email to the factory would soon confirm or rebuke my rude speculations.

Also, turning the ignition on, it should say "999s" on the dash display...

Oh, forgot to say: whatever the model it is and whatever the reason it is the way it is, I would walk away from this one...

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Fwiw the pic is a regular 999. And it has stock wheels ,suspension exhaust etc.also base and s models have the same wheels,only the r models got forged.showa forks and shock are also quality pieces, and very adjustable..being newer it has the braced swinger,and the deep sump.but not the tii con rods. Also any model 749-999 can have the dash read 749 - 999 s or r with simply scrolling through the menu

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Close analysis, but needs details:

The 999S was as far as I know introduced in 2003. Difference to "plain" model was forged Marchesini wheels instead of cast, Öhlins front fork and rear shock, deeper sump and slightly different internals assembled with tighter tolerances (factory blueprinting, you may call it). The radial brake calipers were introduced in 2005 I think, it may have been 2006 in some markets - until then, the S had "traditionally" attached brake calipers. In te picture you can't tell if the rear shock is really an Öhlins or a BOGE. they both came with yellow springs. The latter has no reservoir, obvious from the left hand side, not visible in the photo.

OK, if we take the liberty to speculate a bit, and if this bike is indeed being sold as a 2006 999S then it has the wrong year model front fork for starters. Öhlins - yes, but should have radial calipers. that fork looks like from a 03/04 999S (not a bad bike!...:) The swingarm looks correct for the year but could be either S or not, as do the cambelt covers (the ventilated, as on the 999R, were fitted to later S but not to plain 999). Bodywork is certainly non-S, as is a small detail like the heat shield on the exhaust pipe. The wheels look correct for an S.

Pure speculation: this bike is a plain 999 which has been retrofitted with an early 999S suspension, for some reason. Or, it is indeed an S, which has had a spill and the fork and bodywork was replaced, but not with exactly the right parts. But this is just speculation.

Taking down the engine and frame numbers and dropping an email to the factory would soon confirm or rebuke my rude speculations.

Also, turning the ignition on, it should say "999s" on the dash display...

Oh, forgot to say: whatever the model it is and whatever the reason it is the way it is, I would walk away from this one...
I believe the "S" also has Titanium connecting rods (and valves?). The Ducati website does not say.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay so asked the guy about wether it was an s or a stock model, i said the picture made me think it was stock ( thanks guys) well his reply was what i thought, he had no idea, he just knew it was a 999 and presumed it to be an s as its a monoposto.

Ill probably end up buying this one, as the only other post 05 model that is forsale within my budget is the same price but like i said the belts havent been changed for 6 years ffs

·
Registered
34 Posts
... as the only other post 05 model that is forsale within my budget is the same price but like i said the belts havent been changed for 6 years ffs
I wouldn't been put of by the lack of belt change, as long as the oil and filters have been changes regular.

An old belt does not increase wear on the motor, it only increases risk that if it breaks that it causes dramatic engine failure. If you buy it and change the belts, you are back to zero and have nothing to worry about.

Most has been said on "S" vs. base. However, first gen "S" (2004) had axial calipers, but with 8 individual brake pads, titanium rod (not valves), deep sump, hotter cams and cast wheels.

Later the deep sump and cams got introduced to the base model, but without the titanium rods.
From the later years the titanium rods also got removed from the "S" models, hence the later base deep sump motors are the same as the "S" motors of the same vintage.

Only "R" models had forged wheels from the factory.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts