Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the option of purchasing a new 2005 999 in Gloss Black right now for $14595, or a new 2006 749s (my choice of color of course) for sticker price. Which one would you go for? I'm leaning towards the 999, but being it's my first Duc, and all I've driven is Japanese 600's, I'm nervous that a 999 might be too much for me to handle.

Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Kate

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Go with the 999, for sure.
I don't think it's not much for you to handle it (if you're coming from a 600cc jap bike) and the black 999 is way :cool: , IMO.

Besides, there are no significant differences in a standard 999 and a 749S (i.e. the 749S still comes with Showas and non radial brembos, just like a standard 999).

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I like the looks of the Black Duc myself, but looks arent everything, or so I have been told

·
Registered
234 Posts
Another vote for the 749! Its all the bike I need..but i wouldn't have been mad if i got the 999,but i used the money I saved to buy the aftermarket stuff I have on my bike now!

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
It all depends what kind of ride you like. There are a lot of arguments for both being the better street and/or track bike.

Tony

·
Registered
48 Posts
Depends on the primary purpose of the bike. On the track the 749 is a lot of fun and very capable when pushed hard. On the street, if you don't want to push as hard all the time the 999 is a lot more relaxed/forgiving to ride. Coming from Jap 600s you surely know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
C'mon guys, lets face it........ unless money is the issue the 999 will be a much better choice overall (street or track).

I have both and love both equally. I bought the 749R after the 999R, just for track use. But if i only had one bike and money was not an issue it would the 999R, no doubt about it.

Again, go with the 999 unless the 749S is a lot cheaper and money is an issue.

·
comrade moderator
26,775 Posts
Wow. You're quite the authority, huh? I guess I really screwed up by buying my 749, huh? BTW, I could have bought anything I wanted...I prefer the handling and revvy nature of a smaller displacment bike...always have...always will. More is not better. Bigger is not better. And finally, more expensive is not better.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Chuckracer said:
Wow. You're quite the authority, huh? I guess I really screwed up by buying my 749, huh? BTW, I could have bought anything I wanted...I prefer the handling and revvy nature of a smaller displacment bike...always have...always will. More is not better. Bigger is not better. And finally, more expensive is not better.
:rolleyes: You know it all....

·
Registered
130 Posts
i have a 749 and love how it handles. to me, more weight and power would just take away from why i bought it, but i don't know what you want your bike for. if you want power, maybe look at the japanese literbikes. however, if the prices were equal (749 vs 999)and i was to only have one bike, i'd likely get that black 999. my perfect solution seemed to be a 749 dark and 06 gsxr750...with the power of bikes today, i don't think i'll ever need/want another liter bike.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i've got a 749.considering how effortless it is to go fast on it, i'm a bit scared to think how much trouble i could get in with the extra 25 mph the bigger duc is good for.btw don't look at the black 999s with the white rear numberplate ,wow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
WOW a female that wants a 999 I think I'm in love :p ok just kidding
do you know how many guys are going to be mad if they see you ride up on a 999! I mean WOW!!! I would flip if I owned a gsxr 600. but anyways back to the issue here, I think that you would be happy with either of the two no matter which one you picked and I don't think the 999 is to powerful (coming from someone who only rode jap 6's before I got my 999), I think the real question is that when you close your eyes at night which one are you thinking about the 999 or 749s, and get which ever one makes you happy cause isn't that all that really matters. :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Keep in mind the 749 - unlike the Japanese 600's - is not a purpose-built middleweight. For all intents and purposes it's a 999 with less displacement and less power. Now whether that's a plus or a minus is something you have to determine. Ducati NA has demo days and there may be one coming to a town near you some time soon. Good dealers (if you're serious about buying, have cash or good credit, etc.,) won't have a problem with letting you test ride both in order to help you decide what's best for y-o-u.

Regardless, the big twins have a pretty friendly power delivery and unless you're doing something you really shouldn't be doing with the bike, the large-displacement Ducs are not terribly difficult to ride and will probably be a piece of cake after riding a 600.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Chuckracer said:
Hmm, I sure do like my Xerox, but that is just me, lol, I do have a 996 and it is like apples comparing and oranges. And I would have to say, yes, more expensive was better in this case

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well The 999 is used...Does it have any problems have you taken it for a test ride...The 749 is new....If the 999 has no problems or still in warranty...Get the 999 since you have been riding powerful Japanese bikes...The 749s is nice but it wont satisfy you on power cause of your previous japanese 1000 cc bike experience..But it will satisfy you in the ride and aggresive handling....The 999 will satisfy you in power and all else....But its not brand new!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts