Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured instead of paying the 150 dollars the Ducati dealership wanted for an oil change I could do it myself for much less.

I already have ordered my filter but now i need to buy an oil filter wrench

#1 Is the oil filter exposed enough to where I can just buy any adjustable strap oil wrench or do I have to by one of these adapters you stick on the bottom of the oil filer and take a torque wrench to it?

#2 What kind of oil grade should I use... I def will use full synthetic but should I use the Ducati reccommened Shell 10W- 40 or something else?

Thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
244 Posts
you can get a oil wrench around the bottom of the filter.

I us 20/50 Amsoil or Mohtul (spelling?)

·
Registered
357 Posts
It's worth doing yourself.

Firstly warm the bike, not hot, just warm, then take the sump plug out (size 10 Hex IIRC) and let the oil drain into oil pan, look for debris on the magnetic sump plug and take care of the crush washer. Next take the oil filter off, it should not be more than hand tight, but if it is there should be sufficient filter outside of the engine case to use your strap wrench. I take the oil radiator off too if changing the brand type or spec of oil and because I always get oil out of it although some say it is self draining, on my 999 that is not the case. Then take the oil screen cover off with a hex and then insert a hex to remove the oil screen from deep inside. Be careful 'cos it's fragile. Look for debris on the screen.

Once the oil has stopped dripping out of the sump, take your clean oil screen (check O Ring) and oil screen cover and put them back, torque to the required amount - screen cover and screen 42NM. Replace the clean sump plug and torque to 42Nm also. You may need to change the crush washer depending on how you've handled it. NI'd just change it anyway. Now pour the new oil into the oil filter slowly allowing for it to settle as slightly below the inner rim. This is how you found the old oil filter when you removed it so to avoid oil starvation on start up put the new one in in the same state i.e. full of oil, not half full. Use old oil to lube the oil filter o ring not new oil. Then replace the oil filter by hand to avoid cross threading and tighten by hand as much as you can. If the engine is still warm, you may need to tighten more when it is cold. Replace the 400 - 700 ml of old oil that came out of the oil radiator with new oil of about the same amount. Then replace the radiator onto the bike. Torque the oil radiator hose connectors at no more than 12NM on the radiator side or 32NM on the engine side depending where you disconnected. Now fill the engine with the balance of the 3.7l of oil you have left watching the oil glass window stopping between the two lines. Don't overfill and so pour in and wait to see where it levels out before adding more as you come to the end of the 4 litres of oil you bought for the job.

Check again now to make sure that all the oil isn't on the floor cos you forgot the part about replacing the sump plug before you start the bike. Then if you're happy, start the bike, but watch the oil light. If after 5 to 10 seconds it is not out, turn the bike off and check the oil level again and the floor..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
btw guys i have gone from not knowing how to change the oil a few months ago to now I just had to change the fuel filter. Before ya know it ill be able to take the engine apart ;)

I did get the oil changed btw very simple

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
You really don't need an oil filter wrench....just punch a screwgie thru it and twist it out. If you use a wrench....this is an option if it won't come off.
Best thing to do if your an oil chnage nut is to preuse Ebay. I've purchased about 4 over the past couple of months. Sometimes the crush washers for the engine oil drain bolt and the side screen come w/ the bidding, anyway, buy a couple xtra crush washers for the oil drain bolt and side screen.
You'll save a good bit of money doing it this way rather then pay a dealer.:)

·
Registered
302 Posts
K&N makes an oil filter that has a "nut" attached to the bottom. You can use a standard socket to install and remove the filter. Makes it much easier - and you won't need an additional tool to change your oil.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Double check the torque if it is a deep sump motor as the torque is not 42nm and people have stripped the drain plug hole...John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts