Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed the fuel filter I didnt want the old petrol back in , Been standing for 8 months , so I tipped into my car , I typically didnt have much in my can only about a pint but it was new. I put that in and ignition on and primed and fired straight up . After refitting the fairing I wanted the bike on my ramp so tried to fire it up to put it in gear and walk it up. Wouldnt start just cranked . I switched it off and then on again and pump is no longer priming theres a click coming from the relay but no prime. Everything is refitted good and it did start but theres very little petrol in it . Whats your thoughts .Could it be a lack of petrol has stopped the pump spinning or maybe worse.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just been trying it again and I think it may well be a dodgy side stand switch as it will prime with the clutch pulled in.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
check the fuel pump relay

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Sounds like the issue I had...but mine was intermittent, so I replaced it anyway....and it is behind the battery box. Looking at it from the front it's left side mid/lower. Is your battery good to go? Some times just turning the key off/on a few times resets things for some reason.
Did you seat the electrical connector to the tank fuel pump lead properly? Maybe that pulled apart.
The 999 is w/o a doubt the most fickle motorcycle I've ever owned. Seems to behave w/o any rhyme or reason...

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes thats what it was the fuel pump relay was only working when it felt like it . New one on now placed tightly in a finger part of my wifes rubber glove . She,l never miss it im sure. TY.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
It is very common have spares. 2 weeks ago I was at the track hauling ass down the front straight the bike just died. Good thing I was on the inside and nobody behind me. I had picked up a spare the week before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts