Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Hello,

I have a 2003 999. I went to start it and it sputtered a bit but didn't start, no big deal, haven't started it in a while. Tried to start it again and dead as a door knob. I then noticed my neutral light will not come on when in neutral. Light, lights up during the start up sequence. Bulb is good. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I know this is a dumb statement/question..... Any reason I can only start the bike in neutral and not with the stand up and the clutch pulled in?? Is this an issue as well??

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hello Hello,

I have a 2003 999. I went to start it and it sputtered a bit but didn't start, no big deal, haven't started it in a while. Tried to start it again and dead as a door knob. I then noticed my neutral light will not come on when in neutral. Light, lights up during the start up sequence. Bulb is good. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I know this is a dumb statement/question..... Any reason I can only start the bike in neutral and not with the stand up and the clutch pulled in?? Is this an issue as well??
my999ducati,
Based on your initial description, I'd check the neutral switch which is located on the rear (aft) end of the right half of the crank/gear case. Disconnect the switch from the main harness. Turn on your ignition. The neutral light should be off even if the trans is in neutral. Ground one of the pins in the connector on the harness side (try both). The light should come on simulating neutral. If the light comes on then that means everything is functioning normally except your neutral switch so replace that.

You normally should be able to start the bike with the clutch pulled in and the kickstand up when in gear. I confirmed this with the safety logic table in the service manual just in case Ducati did something weird; they didn't in this case. If your neutral switch checks out, I'd check the continuity and function of the sidestand and clutch switches.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
neutral switch has got only one cable to it, as far as i know,
this should be the ( negative ) ground cable for the neutral light.
thread op should probably just pull the plug out of the switch
directly at the engine case, and have some contact cleaner
sprayed into it.
neutral light check would be to ground that mentioned cable
anywhere on the engine, neutral light should light up then.

:think:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sticky?

I've had mine stick before. Just run the bike through the gears a couple of times with the engine off and it should free the switch up.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
this is the gear shift drum, see left part of it ( right in the engine .. ),
where the drum is isolated with rubber all around but where the
neutral switch hits the drum in neutral gear, the switch gets grounded
and the light goes on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts