Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a link showing the Magnesium Single side Swingarm setup on the 999. Saw it on the Motowheels site but could not find the part info. Did a few searches but couldn't find any more.

It's the one part of my bike I don't really care for looks wise, even though I understand the benefits. I would want to look into doing this mod as it looks pretty nice.

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
and expensive. But what the hell, you only go around once.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I posted some pictures and information on my conversion here:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=57295

The Mag swingarm your talking about is the RAM. Its about 3,000 bucks.

If you have any questions hit me up. if you need parts for the speedo to work, I can hook you up on that too.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, that works.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Save up a few more bucks and buy the Pierobon WSBK street swing arm! Pierobon offers 2 swing arms: A street version which will accept standard Termignoni exhaust from stock to 60mm. Whic solves the problem of guys who want to replace their older model swinger w/ a newer "Box" style one. This will allow you to use a full exhaust system. The second is the real deal WSBK arm used by TB's 999 Ducati.
Very expensive but complete w/ caliper bracket, axle and adjusters.
$4500 shipped:eek: but sooo cool!:)
Check out the "Motion" Ducati 999 for sale on Ebay for pics of the RAM arm...also very cool! $25,000.00
Geez the black 749 SSSA conversion uses a OEM arm. They can be had for less than $100....that is a very well done conversion...I really like the 999 w/ a SSSA.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Save up a few more bucks and buy the Pierobon WSBK street swing arm! Pierobon offers 2 swing arms: A street version which will accept standard Termignoni exhaust from stock to 60mm. Whic solves the problem of guys who want to replace their older model swinger w/ a newer "Box" style one. This will allow you to use a full exhaust system. The second is the real deal WSBK arm used by TB's 999 Ducati.
Very expensive but complete w/ caliper bracket, axle and adjusters.
$4500 shipped:eek: but sooo cool!:)
Check out the "Motion" Ducati 999 for sale on Ebay for pics of the RAM arm...also very cool! $25,000.00
Geez the black 749 SSSA conversion uses a OEM arm. They can be had for less than $100....that is a very well done conversion...I really like the 999 w/ a SSSA.
The pierobon Swingarms (shown here - http://bellissimoto.com/Swingarms.html) are sweet, but a 999 with a SSS can look awesome when done correctly.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Not sure how it is on the 999 mag swing-arms, but the mag swing-arms for the 916 series factory bikes were prone to crack at the pivot point, and were considered "consumable" by the race teams.

Keep in mind that magnesium is not generally a material you want to use where there is repeated (cyclic) loading, such as torquing a swing arm at the pivot. This is also why it is not used in airframe applications. YRMV.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't forget, if you buy a SSSA, you're also buying a new rear wheel...
That's what kinda got this whole idea going. I was thinking about new wheels first and then just started going from there. Looks really sweet, but the SSSA is a little inefficient cost wise. $3700 for the mod then $1400 for the wheels. For that money I can put a good dent in the acquisition cost of 1098r and just get another bike.

If it was around $2000 then it would be do-able. I think I'll stick to powdercoating the OEM swingarm and go for the wheels and put some nice bits into the fittings. I am not seeing any performance benefit from the change other than looks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If it was around $2000 then it would be do-able. I think I'll stick to powdercoating the OEM swingarm and go for the wheels and put some nice bits into the fittings. I am not seeing any performance benefit from the change other than looks.[/QUOTE]

Thats how much I spent on my bike, but its not the box style swingarm. The wheel was cheap off ebay. I found one the other day on Gotham Cycles for 600 bucks. Its not a cheap mod but it looks so good once its all done. I had an RC-51 that I was going to buy a RAM swingarm for. Then the 749 came in at the salvage yard and sold it and picked up the Duc. Im glad I traded up because most Duc parts are interchange throughout the different models.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Keep in mind that magnesium is not generally a material you want to use where there is repeated (cyclic) loading, such as torquing a swing arm at the pivot. This is also why it is not used in airframe applications. YRMV.
I don't know...Japanese Zero used a magnesium wing spar in WWII. It kicked ass until the F4U Corsair and the Lockheed P-38 lightning.....came into play. Bigger motors and more guns and armor.

Today we use plastics to build Airplanes......go figure?

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
The pierobon Swingarms (shown here - http://bellissimoto.com/Swingarms.html) are sweet, but a 999 with a SSS can look awesome when done correctly.

Randall thanks for all your help w/ the Pierobon swinger. You had to go and post pics of it you dog!...and thanks again for the Ferodo pads ...HolyS*#T do they work well! As much as I dig the RAM SSS the Pierobon DSSA is the one!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I don't know...Japanese Zero used a magnesium wing spar in WWII. It kicked ass until the F4U Corsair and the Lockheed P-38 lightning.....came into play. Bigger motors and more guns and armor.

Today we use plastics to build Airplanes......go figure?
Good point, and I admit I was thinking commercial, ie., long life.

Re: the Corsair and Lightning, just goes to show a good big man beats a good small man. Or something like that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts