Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last few months I've been riding later model standard 999 with Termis etc - no other changes. The bike is 3 years old, one owner, 12k in kilos. Idling has never sounded right to me - really lumpy with right side exhaust cold - seems obvious that it isnt firing on both pots until she gets wound up - even warm the idling goes back to lumpy. Dealer found oil overfilled from previous service with gaskets and seals blown. Now she feels more responsive mid range but still has that lumpy idle.

Anyone had similar issue, or am I worrying about nothing?

Considering fitting a Power Commander to see if that makes any difference - at least I can then get it on a the local dyno.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
It's a V-twin engine... they tend to idle lumpily (it that a word?) If anything, I'd suspect the throttle bodies out of sync. If the bike was missing on one cylinder, it would be very obvious and wouldn't be described as "lumpy". The colder right side exhaust (asuming it's the "slip-on" Termi is because the right side goes to the forward cylinder and has more area to cool before exiting the pipe; normal. I would'nt lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matt, I've had, still have, quite a few V and L twins, but this has that (dare I say) Subaru Prodrive lumpiness until its on the move - it certainly shifts once in the midrange though and is brilliant on the track. The M1100 still wins hands down on the grin factor though!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts