Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My 999S headlight dips to the right on low beam. I need left dip.

Is it possible to disassemble and change reflector to left or do I need to buy another light unit.

My low beam is top light so I guess a US market one. I read on euro bikes (left dip) the bottom light is low beam?

Will a left dip light (Euro) fit in top housing?

cheers

Wayne

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I've never changed out a single light assembly so have no idea how easy or hard it is but an easier solution may be to just put up a WTB thread for the entire headlight bucket. I have seen those for sale (particularly the R model magnesium ones) and may be just as cheap if not cheaper than buying a new "low beam" as new. I've seen 'em for around $300 US. Just a thought.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Might look like it drops to the right but might only need to be adjusted upwards a bit. This can be done by rotating the coresponding black knob on the left hand side of the headlight bucket. You might have to take off your fairing if you need to do both. It's all laid out for you in the owners manual, including how to set up the correct beam height.
You can't adjust the beam side to side.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
He needs an AUS/UK/NZ/ etc. setup (i.e. lh drive), and they are different, so he needs a unit from one of those countries.

Euro has the same dip as the US, UK, etc. are different.

And yes, US is low-beam in the upper position, unlike the rest of the world.

Tom

·
Registered
167 Posts
After getting my 999, noticed (US-top beam) low was pointing wayy too low. So, put it in garage-facing door, had wife sit on her and measured/marked on the door where the flat line-cutoff, was hitting the door. The adjustment knob is pretty accessable and started to turn. What a PITA!! The worm gear must be tiny as it too forever to come up:(-but it finally came up to where it was perfect:). Made a big diff in day and nite riding. Oh, BTW, did that little trick of splicing both low and high beams so that when U flip or use high-both beams are on--really lights up the road-don't understand why some badmouth our elipitical beams.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
If the lights are a reflector type unit (like a 916) then they will have a plate inside that is shaped to deflect the beam to whichever side required.

My 916 was a Euro model dipping to the right (I needed to dip left) so I removed the plate and made a mirror-image copy from stainless steel to get the correct dip.

Cost = 0

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies but they donot really answer my question.

Can the lense be removed from the front of light? If so how?

cheers

Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I have read that the low beam cut-off is the result of a shade inside the projector housing. Apparently you can reach inside through the bulb mounting hole with needle-nose pliers and pull it out. I don't know if you can just realign it, though.

Still doesn't answer the question...:p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts