Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Long time Japanese bike owner, and most recently converted to the wonderful world of Ducati (and never plan to return to the 'dark' side again!)

This past weekend, I installed HID's on the 999, as well as did the mod to my switchbox whereby the running light stays on when the hi beam turns on.

Now, I am having all sorts of funky issues.

Sometimes, when I turn the bike on, the running light chooses not to turn on at all. I know this isn't an HID issue or a ballast issue, they have both tested fine.

As well, when I switch from my running light to hi beam, my running light 'sometimes' turns off, and simply won't turn back on at all!

One thing that is strange that I have noticed (that may help diagnose this problem). When I turn the key on my bike, the headlight comes on like it should. When I actually 'start' the bike, it has always turned off for a few seconds, and then turned back on. This was regardless of halogen or HID's. Is this normal or could I have an electrical bug?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. It could be I have a defunct switch, or perhaps need to go back and recheck my soldering. I am 100% positive the HID's themselves are not the issue.

On a side note, I am having a tough time finding the 03-04 service Manual (mine is an 04). I have found the 749 service manual though, since they are relatively the same bike will the specs be the same? In particular, engine specs (belt tolerances/valve specs etc)

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I have installed HID's on my 2005 999S and have also done the always-on low beam mod. I have experienced occasional no-start when hot issues with the HID but find that cycling the ignition will restart it. I find this happens more frequently with the cheaper HID units.

My issue is that I cannot get sufficient low-beam aiming movement to get the cut-off high enough for my current chassis setup....

During the starting cycle your lights will extinguish to make all battery power available to the starter motor.

You might notice that your lights extinguish if you leave the key on too long without starting, as well. This is apparently a battery saving feature.

Finding a 999 service manual online is a challenge. You can find owner's manuals and parts books easily enough. Even the pay sites often don't have the 999 manual. I ended up buying a hard copy from a ebay seller.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I actually got my bike in Calgary and travel to Edmonton frequently!

My main concern is not so much the no start issue, it is the running light intermittently turning off when I click the high beam on. That pointed to switching issue. As well, a couple of times last night I noticed I had to flick the high beam on a few times before it actually turned on?

Thanks for letting me know about the delayed light. I assumed it may be a battery saving feature as well.

Such odd quirks these things have :D

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Yes, the hot restart of the high beam is going to be an issue I fear. I have the same experience with all of the HID transplants in any vehicle I have tried. It is certainly a good reason to do the always-on low beam mod!!

Perhaps that is why you find OEM QH lights on the high-beam side and HID on the low beam side in some vehicles.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hi Folks,

Long time Japanese bike owner, and most recently converted to the wonderful world of Ducati (and never plan to return to the 'dark' side again!)

This past weekend, I installed HID's on the 999, as well as did the mod to my switchbox whereby the running light stays on when the hi beam turns on.

Now, I am having all sorts of funky issues.

Sometimes, when I turn the bike on, the running light chooses not to turn on at all. I know this isn't an HID issue or a ballast issue, they have both tested fine.

As well, when I switch from my running light to hi beam, my running light 'sometimes' turns off, and simply won't turn back on at all!

One thing that is strange that I have noticed (that may help diagnose this problem). When I turn the key on my bike, the headlight comes on like it should. When I actually 'start' the bike, it has always turned off for a few seconds, and then turned back on. This was regardless of halogen or HID's. Is this normal or could I have an electrical bug?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. It could be I have a defunct switch, or perhaps need to go back and recheck my soldering. I am 100% positive the HID's themselves are not the issue.
recheck your soldering. I soldered mine 3 yrs ago and no issues after 15K miles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas.

The only concern I have at this point is it HAS to be a switching issue.. Either that or there are some gremlins further down that have yet to be discovered :rolleyes:

Worst case scenario, perhaps its not getting enough power thus shutting off the other system occasionally, therefore I may install a relay directly to the battery?

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
You shouldn't need a relay. The HID draws either 35W (most common) or 50W, and the OEM bulb would be a 55W halogen unit. No reason to require extra current carrying capacity.

I'd look to your switch-jumper mod first off.

Optionally, HID ballasts can be/go defective. I have had a couple of bad ballast units out of the box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts