Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All
Just installed the Hicap kit for my 999, the install went ok, but now the bike is dead, dash all lights up etc, cant hear the fuel pump prime, press the starter and nothing, pulled it all apart and double checked everything, cant find anything wrong, i do have error codes 38 and 37.3, the ecu earth looks good, please help.

Update:
won't turn over
engine light on
no nuetral light
flashing key on lcd

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I think the 999 install instructions were not perfect. You don't remove the main wiring harness and ground and positive leads you double over them with the new cables. It been a long time since mine were done, do search on ZDM or my userid for threads we had...or a key search on hi-cap cables or motoelectric. Sounds like you have a grounding wire issue.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Doesn't the flashing key icon have something to do with the immobilizer? Don't have a XX9 bike myself, but I think I remember something like that... Do you have the red key? Are you using it when you try and start it? GL

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
The EOBD would come on first and stay on (the little engine icon) if there was an error leading to engine block/immobilier.

The key icon stays on when the key code is wrong or not acknowledged. It only flashes after the immobilizer has been overridden. To override you need to follow the procedure using the throttle grip and the electronic key code.

So, something is not adding up here if the key is flashing.

Are you the original owner or did you purchase the bike with proper keys (2 black, one red) and the key code card with the electronic and maintainence codes ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys
Thanks for all the replies, yes i have all 3 keys and the code card, when using the red key the flashing red light shows as all 3 keys are acknowledged.
I get one short flash - pause - 3 quick flashes- pause - 1 long flash

I have tried the throttle method but it wont work, open the key pin the throttle until the orange light starts to flash, but i cant get it to flash no matter how long i pin it.

After a good nights sleep i have come to the conclusion that it was working fine before i touched it, so i have done something wrong/disturbed something, so after work today i will spend the rest of the evening pulling everything apart checking for corroded connections especially the ecu connectors as that is where the problem stems from

Will let you know how i get on

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I would not use the red key. Use the black key you use normally and follow the procedure to use to electronic key code to override the immobilizer. That should get you to the point where you can start the bike presuming no other wiring issues. You can find the owners manual on line at the ducati site, I think Ducati Omaha web site also has them online. Process is on page 22 of the owners manual

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi
I have tried the throttle reset, the bikes not having it, the orange light stays on no matter how long i pin the throttle,

Also have tried all 3 keys.

Just stripped the bike down checking all connections they are all fine, i even tried to connect to Ducatidiag but its not working either.

I am starting to regret fitting these Hicap cables, should of never touched the bike in the first place.

Any way to reset the ecu
Will another 999 ecu work on my bike

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
wow that sucks, turning the key on and twisting the throttle to full and holding for 8 seconds should turn the EOBD light off. It only goes off for a second or so, so you need to release the throttle as soon as that happens.

If the EBOD light never turns off I am at loss to help. Try using the black key and turn off, leave off then turn on again. If your still not having luck with the EOBD light you exhausted my expertise in how to handle.

My only suggestion would be to remove the cables you installed and replace the factory cables and try again.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
read this, maybe it will help

Here's what I found on the UK board, someone with a 999 and the same error code :

Ok, Back now and the latest is:

1) Battery voltage 12.9 V (have borrowed a mates optimate anyway)

2) Following Error codes- Error EF 1 : 38.0 - cannot find a descriptoin of this code anywere on the net. Does anyone have a list that includes this???
Also code 37.3 which is listed as - Immobiliser (serial cable disconnected).

3)Checked all the dash connections, all the plugs around the head stock and they are all dry and corrosion free!

4) Checked all fuses and they are all ok! All have power across them too.

Any suggestions??

1st suggestion from someone else that help a bit :

I know more about mechanical stuff than electronics but I’ve got the Ducati manual for my bike and this is what I’ve understood. The ignition key contains a transponder which is energised by the electromagnetic field from the aerial which is near the ignition lock. The transponder sends its code to the decoder in the instrument panel and if they match a signal is sent to the ecu by a serial cable. The ecu checks this code and if correct enables engine start.
LT Snyder’s book (that Jim is always plugging :wink: ) agrees with you that code 37.3 is immobiliser-serial cable disconnected, and code 38 is CAN line error. CAN stands for Computer Assisted Network but, as I’ve said, I’m not too well up on electronics and don’t bull**** if I don’t know
It sounds like the serial cable from the instrument panel to the ecu should be checked.

OP coming back when problem is solved :

:p 8) Good news! I managed to get to the bottom of the problem!!

Checked out all the harness resistances and found that all the bike harness was ok. Removed the engine ECU and noticed what looked like glue/ gum on a couple of the terminals (could have been skuzy old grease though) - removed this carefully. Also noticed the ECU earth connector, the bolt on one to the ECU body was a bit corroded, so cleaned that up the reinstaled and applied some high temp grease to reduce risk of more corrosion.

In addition to all that I tidyed up the installation of the after market Alarm / immobiliser and retaped the harness so it looked a bit better then reassembled everything and all is well with the world!!

Straight away the Code for the key was recognised and it started first press of the button! Had to shut it off quick as it is still in my lounge though...

So all I need now is salt free roads..

Just like to say thanks for the technical feedback from this post! Saved me a fortune in dealer charges. Have also been able to give it a good clean up with the plastics removed.

24/7 Roadside Assistance for only $1 a month. Now that's Progressive.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks DMCTRUBY for all the help

I had seen that tread already, as a last ditch fix i have pulled the battery box and the complete harness off the bike and will spend the next day or so checking each wire one by one, i have already found a fuel relay wire was broke even though the insulation looked ok and was intact, connected it back up but its still the same, hears hoping i can find a fix for this.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys
heres the latest

I have just spent 3 days checking the loom (off bike) all the wires start to finish they all ohm ok, so there is no break in them, ecu earth is clean and corrosion free as are the rest of the connectors.

I have Ducatidiag connected before this with no problems, but now i cant get a connection to my bike, i have tried everything and am now running out of ideas.

Ok been trying to get Ducatidiag to connect while on the bike no joy, made up some cables and connected the ecu on my desk, all is ok connected right up, so i guess the ecu is ok, my next question is the unlock ecu question, i put in my code and press the unlock ecu, does that mean its unlock now for ever or is it a temporary unlock, also what does ecu virginity test do, when i press that i get this

ECU stored
Ecu doesn't allow start
Code unknown
ECU stored
Ecu doesn't allow start
Code unknown
Code recu 0601020507

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
**it lives again**

Well i got the second hand loom today, connected it all and it fired up right away, i then took it apart again to fit the Hicap leads (total bitch of a job, and again all is well, i even re flashed my ecu with the immobilizer off and it still works..

I want to thank all those who took the time to help me out, its was appreciated guys, i promise i will not touch the bike again for the rest of the season.

Many thanks all

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Masterbish - glad that it worked out for you. The whole electrical thing can drive a person up the wall, across the ceiling and down the other side in no time at all. Almost invariably, when I have a real problem and take it to my mechanic, it turns out to be a real problem for them as well. :eek:

Ron

·
Registered
388 Posts
glad to hear it worked out. odd that there was a problem with your old wire harness. i wonder how it got affected with the hicap install.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts