Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The saga continues...After finding my Shorai battery drained, I was able to revive it with advice from Forum members. So I reinstall it and now the headlight is on with the ignition switch in the off position. The last ride had me stuck out in heavy rain for an hour. Now I have problems right? Any advice?
I really don't know where to start.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

I know that's what I get for getting it wet. I was dreading it and thought I would be okay. But noooo! Any ideas or help would be appreciated. I really don't know where I should even begin.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I don't have my 03 749 wiring diagram in front of me but I know there is some sort of light relay inline from the dash to the lights. It may be shorted out or getting a bad signal due to water. Try to unplug it and the dashboard looking for water before putting back together.

·
Registered
152 Posts
like Craighjr said start with the relay for the headlights, they aren't sealed and water gets in them and often either don't work at all or short out and switch on the headlights regardless weather the key is on or not. The later relays look to be much better sealed and should not be affected by water like the earlier ones.
From memory i think the relay is mounted around the headlight area.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help!

I'll check those out. I have the wiring diagram. Are the replacements better sealed? Or use the relays off a later model? Or a generic relay?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By "generic" i meant a relay sourced from an auto parts store. I haven't even had the time to take it apart and look to see if it is a Ducati specific part. I probably posted too soon.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The relays that Ducati supply (updated part) appear to be sealed with some kind of resin around the terminals and should give much better service. Look at them before you buy, it's easy to see the difference. On the one that's giving you trouble you will most likely see green corrosion around the terminals, where the water has gotten in.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Had the same problem with my ST4s. It was the relay. I changed it out and no problems since.

Don't have experience in relays for the 999, but I assume it's the same deal. My parts manual for the 2005 999/999s lists all its relays as 541.4.007.1A The Ducati Omaha website states that this number has been replace by part 54140101A. Only [email protected] so I might buy a few to keep in reserve. Good luck.

Ron

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the advice. I love this forum! Now I need to take apart the headlight assembly. Any advice? I probably won't have time until the weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts