Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been messing around trying to aim the low beam on my 2005 999S. I can spin that upper black knob from one extreme to the other (which must be 7000 turns) and I see no apparent change in the aim-point of the horizontal beam limit. It is aimed at the ground about 20' in front of the bike and is completely valueless in the dark!:think:

Is there some secret to the 999 aiming process?

Is there some known common mechanical defect with this unit that I don't know about?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
When the knob is working , with just an 1/8 of a turn you should notice movement in the headlight aim. It can take as many as several full turns if you need a really huge adjustment. If your turning it that much then I suspect at some point it was completely unthreaded. There may be a retaining clip that keeps the knob attached but effectively your not connected anything. I'll see if my parts breakdown shows how that parts goes together and if it can be correct with having to remove the fairing or not to get to the headlight bucket.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Brian the way I understand is the knob is only for small changes "on the fly".
If your headlight is pointing down that much I think you need to look at the adjustment screws on the side of the bulb.
I know that the specs for the lighting is in the manual.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
The knobs are held on by a screw....just make sure that they are tight. You might hve to remove the nose to get at them both. You'll definately feel the knob turning the adjustment gears-I believe that's the only way to adj. the beams up/down.
That said there's a neat little trick that can be done to keep both high and low beams on at once w/o any electrical issue's. You can still turn the high beam off if needed. Check the "Halls of Wisdom" for this mod-it will take about 10 minutes to complete!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts