Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I would like to get some insight on what everyone knows about the 57mm Full-Termignoni for the 999.

I purchased my 2006 999 3 years ago and ever since have wanted to upgrade the exhaust. I have always had two major problems with stock Ducatis. They all seem to run very lean out of the factory, and they don't sound like a true Ducati should. So for the past few months i've been investigating Termignoni, Zard, Arrow, and a long list of exhaust systems that could not only solve both of these problems but give my bike a more race-bred look. I settled on Termignoni and decided that it was perfect for me. It comes with the ECU, and everything else, plus Ducati backs it up. I also decided to go for the full system. I loved the idea of getting the extra hp and basically having the meanest pipes made for the 999. So heres what happened...

I got the system and immediately decided to polish it and have it installed on the bike. All I have to say is that this pipe is amazing! The noise it gives off and the larger look it brings really gives it a right off the track look that I love! The only thing is that right after my first good ride with it on there I noticed that the lower section of the fairing closest to the kickstand has started to melt! (Picture Below)

I know there are other threads covering this but I had a really hard time finding them so sorry if things are repeated here. I called Lexington Motorsports where I had it installed and they are working on a solution for me and contacting Ducati North America but i'm not sure what happens now. Have any of you had this problem? Is it an instillation problem or a bike design defect? Being that my bike is not an *R* it didn't even occur to me that the bike this exhaust was designed for had carbon fiber fairings. However Ducati sells this as an accessory for all late model 999 superbikes. Please let me know what you think about this and if you have had this problem in the past what would you recommend doing?

Thanks everyone!

Ciao!

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
hmmm

If you look closely someone welded a hole in your pipe.... def. not good man...
It actually looks like the bung is leaking and the hot as hell gases are leaking onto the plastic. Reseal that CO bung.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey duc_duc thanks for the reply. I looked at that very closely and it is the CO port. It looked identical to the port on the stock pipe so I just took it to be normal. Are you saying that that could be leaking gasses which come out and melt the plastic?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
maybe it's the picture or the angle, but it looks like you have an open hole there.
Why is it open? If it's, in fact, open the exhaust gases are melting your fairing. If that's the only melting issue, you are better off than most others with full termi's.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jcns, Your right it does look open. I just went and checked and it looks like the plastic has now bonded with the pipe so ill have to start her up again to get that to release so I can tell if the cap is even in the hole. Thanks for the observation! I have a feeling the dealership will be buying me a new fairing. Oh and what problems have you heard other people have had with the full pipes?

Thanks, ciao!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Had something similar happen to mine...my pipe was touching the fairing and burning it. Might sound odd, but I took some chicken wire, about 12in long by 5in wide. Folded the wire several times and safety wired it to the pipe where it meets the plastic. The chicken wire pushes out the fairing a bit and doesn't get hot enough to burn the fairing. Works perfect!

·
Registered
771 Posts
jcns, Your right it does look open. I just went and checked and it looks like the plastic has now bonded with the pipe so ill have to start her up again to get that to release so I can tell if the cap is even in the hole. Thanks for the observation! I have a feeling the dealership will be buying me a new fairing. Oh and what problems have you heard other people have had with the full pipes?

Thanks, ciao!
Those CO2 sensor ports have plugs in them on all the factory pipes. My aftermarket Arrow full system on my S2R monster has them as well. The problem is they have a tendency to loosen and fall out if not installed properly initially and if threadlocker is not applied. Check that your plug hasn't fallen out. The allen wrench to install/remove it should be a 5mm.

However, looking at your second picture, even though I can't tell if the plug is there or not, it appears to be just a proximity issue and the heat radiation is too much for the plastic at that distance. You may need to look into some exhaust wrap or putting heat-reflective tape on the inside portion of the fairing.

Let us know how it turns out!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Install exhaust heat tape around the pipes as well as put heat reflective pads inside the fairing. Wrap the pipes before you install on the bike.

The photo does appear to show a gas leak in the area of the plug. Different issue.

I suspect that the dealer's reason for contacting DNA was to find out who was going to pay to fix this.

Good luck and keep us posted. Where did you find the exhaust system? Did you purchase this recently?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

Thanks, ciao!
check out this thread of others with a similar setup and solutions.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=32571&highlight=termi+burn

·
wishes it was summer
697 Posts
Install exhaust heat tape around the pipes as well as put heat reflective pads inside the fairing. Wrap the pipes before you install on the bike.

+1. I had the 57mm Termi on my bike before and did not have issues with melted fairings using heat wrap on the pipes and heat pads on the fairings.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have had the same problem with my full termi 57mm sytem. The thing generates so much heat under the fairing. I tried insulation on the fairing and heat wrap around the pipe but it was still too hot. and made the fairing so hot in some places you could hardly touch it.

In the end I took the termi pipes off and replaced the standard pipes making adapters for them to attach to the same termi muffler. It still sounds the same and no difference in performance that I can tell. At least now I don't have to worry about turning the expensive ducati plastic into a red puddle!

Why is nothing simple.

·
Registered
508 Posts
well

Its life I guess.... I wish ladies were simple... Ha. If you wrapped the pipe with header wrap you should be fine. Shalei.... if yours is so hat through the heat wrap then you are running ridiculously lean. And nothing is wrong with Termi pipes... they all fit differently especially if it was made on a Friday or a Monday!

·
Ducati Ambassador to the Vatican
299 Posts
+1 on heat wrap and reflective tape.

In addition I spaced the fairing out approx. 1/2" at the rear bracket
to create a gap between the pipe and the fairing.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
First remove the fairing. You can put a bend on the rear fairing bracket. You can bend it quite abit outward and still be able to fasten it. You can also remove the second fastener on the bottom front of your fairing. Just use the first fastener, then run a strip of red Duct tape down between the two fairings halves. This will allow the fairing to move outward, providing move clearance between the pipe and fairing. Lastly, you can use a paint prep and clean the portion of the inside fairing that runs along the front pipe, usually it's along the bottom of the kisckstand opening. After cleaning thoroughly apply some adhesive back thermal barrier-just cut to fit. I use a product made by MOOSE and it works great! If the adhesive loosens due to heat, probably will, just peel it off and apply some new stuff.
I have a 54mm full system and how you guys fit a 57mm in there w/o razing the bike to the ground is beyond me!:D

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
When I purchased my new 57mm full termi it came with no lamba sensor blanking plugs fitted . Had to find some elsewhere . Should have been there but were not.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I called Lexington Motorsports where I had it installed and they are working on a solution for me and contacting Ducati North America but i'm not sure what happens now. Have any of you had this problem? Is it an instillation problem or a bike design defect? Being that my bike is not an *R* it didn't even occur to me that the bike this exhaust was designed for had carbon fiber fairings. However Ducati sells this as an accessory for all late model 999 superbikes. Please let me know what you think about this and if you have had this problem in the past what would you recommend doing?

Thanks everyone!

Ciao!
There was a Factory Service Bulletin issued on this problem years ago. Lexington should have known about it and wrapped the header with tape and installed heat reflective tape on the inside of the fairing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey ST3S thanks for the reply. I looked on eBay for months hoping a new system would show up and when it finally did I started talking to the guy selling it. I cant remember the name of the dealership that had it listed but they were changing buildings and were liquidating inventory. He sold it to me 50% off. The boxes were never opened! It was great too because at the time Ducati was no longer selling the system from the factory so none of the dealers had the ability to order it for me. It couldn't have worked out any better!

Ciao!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Crarrs, ill keep you posted on what I hear back. I really hope someone takes some responsibility for this. Either DNA or my dealer really should replace it so I can have it set up properly!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Mitico, I am going to direct my dealer to this page and ask them about the bulletin your referring to. Appreciate the help!

Ciao!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks!

Hey everyone I just wanted to say thank you for the great replies! I hope that I continue to get more coming in. The more information the better! I really hope that I can prevent this from happening again!

So far what I have decided to do is remove the black foam material that is under the fairing and place the Thermo-Tec reflective heat shield material in its place where the faring is most likely to get hot. I am not sure how layering would do in this case though. I thought I may be able to fit 2 layers of the Thermo-Tec in the spot where im having problems and it would protect that area just a little bit more. Has anyone tried layering like this?

I would really like to stay away from the heat wrap for three reasons. I wash my bike on a regular basis and I am not sure how water and soap will effect the tape, second I have heard that it is possible to damage the pipe and cause cracks if the tape is not allowing the heat to be released any way, and third I polished my pipes so I feel that the tape would be a massive eye-sore (even on the lower area it is in.)

Thanks again everyone!

DucatiBen

1 - 20 of 34 Posts