Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find anything about the fuel pressure regulator in the oem workshop manual or spare parts manual. The flow goes from the "out" to a T at the airbox, one way to the injectors via another T, and the other way back to the "in".
My assumption is that the regulator is in the tank on the end of the "in" pipe and that it acts like an over pressure relief. The flow through the regulator would be greatest at low rpm/low load. Is this correct?

Is the 999 regulator a basic garden variety 3 bar regulator? If it is a basic generic, I'm quite surprised. For a 2003 performance motorcycle that is quite basic. Even my old '97 BMW M3 has a vacuum switchable fuel pressure regulator that regulates at either 3 bar or 5 bar.

Hmmmm. I wonder if a dual bar unit on a bike could be worked into a beneficial performance mod

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
the pumps don't flow a great deal, but they generate high pressure so it looks like a lot if it leaks. the amount the engine consumes out of the total flow is very small, but it will theoretically flow more through the reg at low load.

reg is just a reg. sounds like a typical bmw tech clusterfuck, that or the injectors are just too small and they came up with a typically overly complicated way to deal with it. what's wrong with a constant 3 bar pressure from a technical point of view?

if you want more fuel replace the yellow band injectors with pink from a 1098, etc. they're 12 hole with a bit more flow. unless you just want to drown it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
reg is just a reg. sounds like a typical bmw tech clusterfuck, that or the injectors are just too small and they came up with a typically overly complicated way to deal with it. what's wrong with a constant 3 bar pressure from a technical point of view?
Yeh, I've owned and maintained this M3 for about 14 years now. It's loaded with "bmw tech clusterfucks"....

I guess, on reflection, there is nothing wrong with a basic 3 bar reg. It was just a thought while I was typing up the post. There would be easier ways to get more fuel, which is not what this project is about.

I'm building a fuel supply on a stand for the workshop. I'm sick of trying to work on fuel injected bikes and having to put the tank back on to run them. I could set the oem tank up as a remote with a couple of metres of hose and an "extension lead" for the fuel pump, but then I have other injected bikes I work on, and a few non injected as well.

So the 999 fuel reg IS in the tank at the end of the "in" hose?

Regards, Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts