Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my gearbox broke on my 2006 999 about 4 years ago and at that time I bought a bunch of tools off various sites and my plan was to rebuild it.

I ended up with a flywheel holding tool that was supposed to be for all superbikes as well as others. It’s a golden colour

Fast forward to last week and I went to remove the flywheel and there is no way in hell this tool is for the 999.

My question is this: do the 749/999 require a different flywheel holding tool than the other superbikes???

The 749/999 has always been an odd ball of sorts. I know the kickstand won’t match up to the old or new superbikes and since the tool hooks up to the kickstand mounts it would make sense it’s different.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
267 Posts
The tool for all 3phase flywheels is the same. 996-1198 should all be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pickies please of the tool.
Exactly like this pic.

I know all the superbikes are the same when it comes to the kickstand 916,996,1098 etc but the 749/999 is definitely different so I think this tool gets sold as all superbikes but it’s not going to work for my 999.

Any 999 owners ever come across this issue. Really sucks having an odd ball bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldn’t even get the tool to attach to the flywheel as it hit the engine case. It just totally didn’t work. Not sure why the 999 was so different but like I said it was completely a wrong fit. Not even close.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Mine didn't exactly fit on an m821 but it worked...pretty wild angle and only one contact point...hardly a correct fit but it got it done

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi
Just checked my notes the lock tool you have must be for a 2010 engine and the same size was for all 2010 + trellis engine that's why it is to small by at least 9/11mm on out side diameter of flywheel is the two location drilled holes same hole pitch as on your engine
Mike st

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a problem with removing the fly wheel from my 749 using the same style of tool. What I ended up doing was cutting the head off the bolt and the tool worked after that. I purchased the fly wheel holding tool from ebay. Hopes this helps.

·
Registered
813 Posts
wrong tool???

My question is this: do the 749/999 require a different flywheel holding tool than the other superbikes??? Thanks for the help guys![/QUOTE said:
should be part#887132036 which appears the same as the pic you posted-not an oddball. Ducati 748 (all)

Ducati Monster S4R (all)

Ducati Superbike 1198 R (all)

Ducati 916 - 996 - 998 (all)

Ducati Monster S4R S Testastretta (all)

Ducati Superbike 1198 S (all)

Ducati 999R (all)

Ducati Monster S4R Testastretta (all)

Ducati Superbike 1198 SP (all)

Ducati Hypermotard (all)

Ducati Monster S4RS (all)

Ducati Superbike 749 (all)

Ducati Hypermotard 1100 (all)

Ducati S4 (all)

Ducati Superbike 749 Dark (all)

Ducati Hypermotard 1100 Evo (all)

Ducati Sport 1000 (all)

Ducati Superbike 749 R (all)

Ducati Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP (all)

Ducati ST4 (04 and on)

Ducati Superbike 749 S (all)

Ducati Hypermotard 1100 S (all)

Ducati Streetfighter (all)

Ducati Superbike 848 (all)

Ducati M1000 (all)

Ducati Streetfighter S (all)

Ducati Superbike 848 EVO (all)

Ducati M900 (all)

Ducati Superbike 1098 (all)

Ducati Superbike 999 (all)

Ducati Monster 1100 (all)

Ducati Superbike 1098 R (all)

Ducati Superbike 999 R (all)

Ducati Monster 1100 Evo (all)

Ducati Superbike 1098 S (all)

Ducati Superbike 999 S (all)

Ducati Monster 1100 S (all)

Ducati Superbike 1098 S Tricolore (all)

Ducati SuperSport 1000 DS (all)

Ducati Monster S2R (all)

Ducati Superbike 1198 (all)

Ducati SuperSport 900 (all)
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/DUCATI-SportClassic-1000-Pauls-Smart-Flywheel-Holding-Tool-HDESA-USA-/303133169504

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know right it should work but I’m telling you that picture is of a 996 I think because I can see the weird two bolt locking plate for the front sprocket.

I stared at the engine for an hour and tried every which way. There is no way this gold tool fits 999s. Sad but true!

I can’t think of anything else other than it’s different

·
Registered
267 Posts
Can you post a picture your actual bike with the tool not quite fitting? I wonder if you just got an incorrectly marked tool for a different machine altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just repaired a 999s 2009 deep sump engine and used exactly that same gold tool. It needed some persuation to go into the holes from both sides of the flywheel, but eventually it does. I dont have a picture but here the way to do it:

1. First rotate the flywheel to the position that all holes line up: the tool should fit more or less to the sidestand holes you can do the finetuning later. The holes of the flywheel should match.
2. Engage the rotating bolt/pin forward, it is a very tight fit and you think it does not go in, but it does, just keep on turning with a spanner. It will pop in. Makesure everything is straight. The tool should rest against the casing where the alternator case meets.
Keep turning until the pin is properly seated,but not fixed 100%
3. Rotate the flywheel so the holes on the tool match the sidestand holes. Bolt in position
4. Turn the pin until seated completely.

Show me a picture with step 1, Ill confirm if you can go on.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J610FN met Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
From what had been said I think what may be happening is when the side bracket with the two holes that bolts on the engine may cause the radius on the tool to contract and lose is radius when the side bracket is weled on and not held in a welding jig just a thought
Mike st

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I’ll give this another shot. I’ll take pics this time and update once I tackle this again!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow ok thanks guys I got the sucker on.

My tool must have been way off the way they welded it up. I had to grind off the two washers and also bend the arm. I think the fixed pin was welded on cocked. And I had to grind a bit of the tool that touches the case by the moving pin.

Anyways way too much drama for a 5 second job to install the tool.

At least I can confirm there is nothing different with the 749/999

Just my bad luck on the crappy tool quality.

Cheers boys!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts