Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to decide what size sprockets to put on. I'm not interested in top speed, but I don't want the bike running at 9,000 rpm at 70 mph in 6th gear either. What do you guys recommend as far as tooth count? I'll be replacing the chain anyways, so that's not a factor. Might also switch to 520.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I have (and like) 14/39 at the moment, that's 6k RPM at 150kph (94 mph), top speed should be 240, only place I'm going to do that is in Germany and II don't get up there much. On normal roads, I normally don't get past 3rd.

I will go to 15/43 when it's time for a new chain. Currently have 11k miles on the original (with just under two years of use), with no noticeable wear, so it's probably good for at least the rest of this year.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I am running 14/38 currently. Much better than stock for city riding, and not much more hiway RPM.

Don't do the 520 switch for a liter bike. The weight saving is marginal and breaking a chain on these can be expensive!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Don't dothe 520 switch for a liter bike. The weight saving is marginal and breaking a chain on these can be expensive!
+1000. The weight savings can be achieved in other places for less risk. If you are looking for more speed, I am sure you can get quicker/faster via less risky/very expensive means.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
15/41 and exceedingly pleased. It is great to be able to easily ride at 25 mph and starting off is more pleasant.

Unless you are really zipping along, shifting to a higher gear resolves any RPM issue.

I personally stayed with steel sprockets as aluminum wears relatively quickly.

www.gearingcommander.com is great for comparing original gearing and any options you may wish to consider.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
my stock chain had ugly tight spots in it long before the alum sprockets showed wear.since have had 14-41 520 (high quality chain) and been pleased with the combo,although the 999s motor would be quite happy pulling the 15-41 ratio

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ELK that is one of the most helpful websites I have ever seen. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
You are very welcome.

It is a cool site.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
I second that, that's a great tool. On my favorites list now...:D

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
15/41 too, really gets to 125 in a big hurry!...it's no Busa, but the gearing made a big difference in performance. Would probably go 15/42,43 next time.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am at 15/40 with the 520 conversion on my 999R but will try 42 at some point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts