Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 999 gets to about 7800 rpm, the engine light comes on, and it feels like it’s hit a rev limiter. Back off and it’s ok. (59m ecu) Otherwise it’s running beautifully...
Any ideas?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
??? I haven’t touched the crank angle sensor, and I hit the real rev limiter at 11k a week ago. I check codes tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Could a failing injector cause these symptoms ?
Not so abruptly as to cause a rev limiter feeling. Codes can be checked through the dash without a diagnostic tool. Can you get the bike to a dyno and do a few runs? Sometimes that’s the best way to short these shitfull problems. Or if you have diagnostics to log or real time.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't seem to be able to access the codes through the dash by holding the left button and turning the ignition on. I don't know if being a 59m ecu impacts on this function.

I have codes PO335 and PO351 from IAW Diag, but can't find a listing with these codes.

Pockets are not deep enough at the moment for a dyno, and I don't know anyone with a dyno that is skilled up on a 999....need to do it the hard way and learn myself.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I don't seem to be able to access the codes through the dash by holding the left button and turning the ignition on. I don't know if being a 59m ecu impacts on this function.

I have codes PO335 and PO351 from IAW Diag, but can't find a listing with these codes.

Pockets are not deep enough at the moment for a dyno, and I don't know anyone with a dyno that is skilled up on a 999....need to do it the hard way and learn myself.
When it hits the “new” rev limit does it HARD cut like you’ve hit the hill switch? Or is it the same as the 10,500 soft rev limiter. And does it do it at the same rpm consistently?

·
Registered
92 Posts

P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
P0351 Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
https://www.obd-codes.com
https://www.outilsobdfacile.com/data-trouble-code-obd2.php?dtc=p0300-p0399

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I downloaded the codes, then read the last post....:LOL:

Got to the bottom of the issue. Intermittent out put to #1injector. Is either faulty ecu or fault IN the ecu plug. I've replaced the ecu c/w oem map, and if the issue still exists, I'll replace the ecu plug.

Just one little issue. The immobiliser.....can somebody provide a process, or a link, to disable it? ( a pm would be fine).

Happy New Year!!

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Have you found a suitable .xdf to examine, with TunerPro, the .bin you downloaded ?
Most .xdfs have a "Flags" section, where immo, lamda sensor, etc. are shown and can be set or cleared.

Happy (spannering) New Year!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Most .xdfs have a "Flags" section, where immo, lamda sensor, etc. are shown and can be set or cleared."

Yep, I've seen those flags, c/w memory locations. Haven't had a need till now to decipher the code, or compare code between an oem and a "cracked" .bin.

Another thing I was thinking about was downloading a .bin for a 5AM and fitting to the bike. The immobiliser for the 59m is (?) in the ecu, and for the 5AM, in the dash (?). So if I fit a 5AM (of which I have a couple spare), no immobiliser to deal with....Sounds good in theory doesn't it? :oops:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Another thing I was thinking about was downloading a .bin for a 5AM and fitting to the bike. The immobiliser for the 59m is (?) in the ecu, and for the 5AM, in the dash (?). So if I fit a 5AM (of which I have a couple spare), no immobiliser to deal with....Sounds good in theory doesn't it? :oops:
I don't think it matters, where the immo antenna is located (the key switch or the dash).
As long as the relevant box in the correct .xdf is cleared, the ECU does't need a code to wake up and you're good to go.
I know it for sure for 5AMs, prolly same thing with 59Ms.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well, that didn't work! I used an overlay (xdf) file 59M-Ducati_ST4S-2003 to change the immobiliser switch, and the fuel pump just keeps running, so my assumption is that the address location for the immobiliser in the overlay is actually the address location in the 999 59m for the "fuel pump at initiation timer".

So what is the correct .xdf for a 999 with a 59m?

Happy New Year, actually, a happy new decade!

·
Registered
92 Posts
With this .xdf, how do your maps/tables look (garbage/perfect) like ?

I don't think there is a "correct" .xdf for a certain model.
For instance, I use one (for 5AM) that works good for the S4RS .bins, as well as the SC1000 monoposto but not the bip.
If you find one that displays, say, more than 20 of the maps and tables correctly, chances are, the immo and lambda are at the correct addresses too.
You'll have to try and find what fits.

To avoid "bricking" your ECU, experiment only with the .bin you downloaded from it, for starters.

I think that, .xdfs for 5AMs are more likely to be correct, for their respective .bins, as more people were interested and involved in developing them.

A quick search for ".xdfs/maps repository" in the forum
Index of /Ducati-Tuning/ECU XDF Files

PM me with your email address if you'll need more.

Cheers and a happy new decade

1 - 15 of 15 Posts