Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just sold my 04 r1 to buy a 999, the reason i sold my r1 is for 2 reasons, one i want a twin #2 the under tail exaust fryed my balls bad, i want to know all of your thoughts on the 999 exaust heat and how comfortable the bike is on long rides, i look to you guys for input( and all is welcome) befor i spend this kind of money. and one more question, what year 999 should i look at the base model or the 999s, i dont want to spend more than 15,000 but i hear ther is a power increase in years but im unclear which years have the power increase.

thanks guys.
)

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have no heat issues with an '03 999, but do live in a colder clime where any exhaust warmth would be considered a feature, and I'm never in city stop and go traffic. Never feel the heat when underway (wish I did sometimes), and only note it when going slow, creeping down the long driveway. As for long distance comfort, the ergos are racy and it is going to depend on the shape you are in.

Would add the '03 in the barn here has had no reliability issues. Over three years of riding it, no probs. For the street it has more power than anyone would ever use or need. If this is your destination intent, then consider any 999. If track competitiveness is the aim then you could consider an '05 or '06 999/999s, but you would be paying more for later year models and the little extra HP is mostly realized at upper echelon RPMs at the expense of more HP found at street friendlier lower RPMs of the '03, '04 model iterations.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I can't possibly imagine a 999 would be better on the heat issue than your R1, but there are ways to combat that. In traffic in warmer temps, it's not going to be comfortable that's for sure. One thing that helps these bike more than anything is chaning the exhaust...be it a slip on or full system...as long as you change the can under the seat. It has a catalytic converter in it and that's got to go. That will work wonders but it's still a little warm in hot traffic. Going down the road it's unnoticable. The joy of this bike more than makes up for it though...IMO.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If your moving its not bad but i havent tested this during the summer yet. When its cold I love it keeps the legs warm.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
As has been said.. The 999 produces some heat to keep you warm, but nothing bad when your moving, even riding slowly. The REAL heat comes at stoplights and when in a trafficjam.

For power.. the 03-04 had less then 05 - onward. Power increase to -05 is 15-20 hp depending on model.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
On both the R1 and 999, we have ceramic coated the pipes and wrapped the crucial areas with Thermatec tape. The ceramic coating alone reduces the external temps by 200 degrees. The tape is almost twice that. We also applied Thermotec adhesive foil under the seat and behind the heat shields.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live in a place where ambient temperature is always above 30degrees C, and midday temperatures can climb to 36degreesC....

One thing to really avoid on the 999 is slow traffic, and traffic lights. After 3 or 4 continous red lights in a row, my legs are really, really cooked... Its really bad, and I can't help but blast away from the lights with my legs wide apart like an idiot...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I bought my 999 last summer...When it's hot out and I'm stopped at a light, the 999 has me wondering, "Holy shit! Just how much hotter is my ass/left thigh going to get?" Very hot...

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
"Oh, and what's that smell? Why it's my roasting thighs"

It's not so much the heat I feel on my 999r from under the seat, but the damn blast furnace coming through the upper vents of the fairing right into my crotch----Rocky Mountain Oysters!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Heat

Hey Guys....your All Are Telling Us How Hot It Is On You, Can You Tell Me The Temp On The Bike. I Have A 998 And Experience The Same Flaming Crotch!!!!the Bike Temp Gets To 225f Or So At A Light In The Summer, Just Wondering What Temps You Guys Have One Yours
Thanx!!!

Giddy Up!!
Allen

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Hitting 220F on the bike in the summer at stoplights is pretty common out here... the thought reminds me of my roasting ass! Behind the left thigh actually. In the summer I can even feel the heat coming up while on the freeways at 70mph. Ceramic coating is one of the things I really want to do for my bike one day, maybe it will help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts