Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ~~

i have a 999 ~ and was wondering what is the standard torque for tightening

the engine oil bolt ~~????

Do you just tighten it up as hard as you can ??

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
42 NM

However the German torque spec of gutentight is perfect.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Of course if you have the deep sump (05-06 999 or 2004 999R) your torque spec will be 10 Nm or 7 lb ft, for the non-deep sump you will be looking at 42 Nm as stated above which is the equal to 31 lb ft. Both torques are for the oil drain plug and the oil screen. How many miles on the bike and is this your first time changing the oil on the bike? Best of luck man and I hope that it works out for you.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
se t

Use your torque wrench. Overtightened bolts and pugs are BAD when dealing with engine case fittings. If you strip it or seize it in the casing it could lead to very expensive repairs.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course if you have the deep sump (05-06 999 or 2004 999R) your torque spec will be 10 Nm or 7 lb ft, for the non-deep sump you will be looking at 42 Nm as stated above which is the equal to 31 lb ft. Both torques are for the oil drain plug and the oil screen. How many miles on the bike and is this your first time changing the oil on the bike? Best of luck man and I hope that it works out for you.
MY bike is a 2003 999s with deep sump ~!!! So I should torque it to

10 Nm !!!!!

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
For reference, the 42NM figure is for a 2005 999 (deep sump).

All it needs is to be snugged up. Many over tighten most bolts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am dragging this thread out of the archives for some clarification. It may save a newcomer to the machine from making a mistake.
Today I was more particular than on those occasions in the past, when the drain plug was tightened by feel. I consulted the records I have kept, as to just what the torque was supposed to be, when tightening this plug on my '05 deep sump model 999.
I was not prepared to accept the recommendation that the plug I held was to be tightened to 42NM.
To confuse things more, in the C3 - torque section of the Service and Repair manual I have on CD, it states:
Oil drain plug M22 x 1.5 42NM Range 38 - 46
Oil mesh filter M22 x 1.5 42NM Range 38 - 46
Thing was that the plug I was holding wasn't anything like 22mm in dia.
Measuring it, I found it to be 12mm, and then looking further on the CD, over the page was:
Lower sump oil drain plug M12 x 1.5 20NM Range 18 - 22

Although I can't find the category for them on the CD, most M6 bolts which I think the 4 holding the filter cover are, are listed at 10NM torque.. I think this will be what Snyder's reco refers to.

·
Registered
336 Posts
After 4- 5 oil changes - snug to feel has worked fine for me never a leak :). Plugs and oil drains I'm wary of over torque - no issues for me at all using my built in hand torque wrench. Best of luck with whatever u choose :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts