Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having to clean up the area around my front sprocket almost weekly. At first I just figured it was all the grease from the chain. However, the last cleaning I did I cleaned the chain up really good. When I went to clean it up this morning, there seemed to be oil pooling in the bolt hole dimples.

I wiped up the access and took some pictures of my engine casing now tinted brown. Could I have an oil leak somewhere around here? Is there anyway, or any product, that can clean the casing without ruining it?

The first image has a vivid effect on it so you can see where the oil/grease has been collecting on the engine staining it. The second one is more of what it looks like to the naked eye.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
First picture shows a small stain running down the side of the case from the small alternator cover. Maybe seeping from they and getting blown back along the case while riding?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First picture shows a small stain running down the side of the case from the small alternator cover. Maybe seeping from they and getting blown back along the case while riding?
Its a possibility, but I never have to wipe anything off of the alternator cover, remember that first shot is a vivid (saturation altered) image.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Your clutch slave cylinder seal is shot. ;)

Remove said cylinder, the seal is only a few bucks but will mean a rebleed?

Check your master cylinder fluid level - remove the cap to do this, the black fluid can stain the pot, making it look like you have fluid in there when you dont? :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your clutch slave cylinder seal is shot. ;)

Remove said cylinder, the seal is only a few bucks but will mean a rebleed?

Check your master cylinder fluid level - remove the cap to do this, the black fluid can stain the pot, making it look like you have fluid in there when you dont? :)
Is this the clutch slave cylinder?

If so, is #27 what I need to replace?

I'll take a look at this tomorrow and check it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Is this the clutch slave cylinder?

If so, is #27 what I need to replace?

I'll take a look at this tomorrow and check it out. Thanks!
Thats the one! Take it off (3 bolts, mind the piston doesnt pop out when you remove it, also watch you dont pull out the clutch pushrod?)

twinflyer17 | Ducati Community

There is a seal on the slave piston, like a fork seal? These are shite & leak/fail for a pastime... You can renew the standard seal or fit an upgrade slave cylinder, most of which give a lighter clutch pull with a better sealing arrangement? ;)

I fitted one of these to my SS, works a treat!

Ducati Stock Clutch Slave Piston Upgrade | eBay

Cheap fix... :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats the one! Take it off (3 bolts, mind the piston doesnt pop out when you remove it, also watch you dont pull out the clutch pushrod?)

twinflyer17 | Ducati Community

There is a seal on the slave piston, like a fork seal? These are shite & leak/fail for a pastime... You can renew the standard seal or fit an upgrade slave cylinder, most of which give a lighter clutch pull with a better sealing arrangement? ;)

I fitted one of these to my SS, works a treat!

Ducati Stock Clutch Slave Piston Upgrade | eBay

Cheap fix... :D
Thanks! Now that I know what I'm looking for this thread by Shazaam is helpful. I will post back with what I buy.

Now if I could just find something to clean up the mess it made...

·
Registered
315 Posts
We all have had or have this issue.

Best bet and my advice?

Replace with a new slave, Yoyodyne has a lifetime warranty on their seal. While you are replacing that, sure you'll have to rebleed but it will get you acquainted with your clutch system.

Speaking of which... do not replace anything with out looking at what caused this leak in the first place. The bearing in the pressure plate, and have a look at the seals on the pushrod going through the bike into the pressure plate.

If you need, I would not mind doing a photographical step by step for yah ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We all have had or have this issue.

Best bet and my advice?

Replace with a new slave, Yoyodyne has a lifetime warranty on their seal. While you are replacing that, sure you'll have to rebleed but it will get you acquainted with your clutch system.

Speaking of which... do not replace anything with out looking at what caused this leak in the first place. The bearing in the pressure plate, and have a look at the seals on the pushrod going through the bike into the pressure plate.

If you need, I would not mind doing a photographical step by step for yah ?
That would be very helpful if you don't mind. However, I have found this site that shows how to do the replacement/bleeding, so if that was the step by step you're referring to, and they are doing it right, then that would save you the time of posting it yourself. ;)

I am doing my 20k maintenance at the end of the month, err the 3 day weekend in Sept. So I will pull this all apart then and check it all out, though I don't think I will replace the slave cylinder itself. The maintenance alone is going to be pricey. :eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You doing valve adjustments, fork rebuild, etc yourself? Good on you! I haven't gotten there yet. I bought my 999 with 2,300 on it 2 years ago. Just kicked over 15,000 this summer.
I'm going to try anyway. ;) I bought mine last July with 1800 miles, and am 1000 away from my 20k mark (12427 miles). It racks up the miles as a daily commuter and weekend twisty conqueror. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I felt I should update this and show the correct solution to the actually problem I turned out to have.

I talked to my friend who is a Ducati tech about getting a new slave cylinder because of an oil leak I was having. He said that its not the slave cylinder and almost never is. The leak, which seems to be typical, comes from the chain bouncing from the front sprocket and nicking the engine. I was skeptical but sure enough, we clean up the area in front of the chain and there was the nick in the case.

In order to fix the leak you have to remove the left stator side cover and take a light file to the edge to get it smooth again since it nicks the joint. Then in order to keep the chain from nicking the engine again, get a case guard. I got one from Cox Racing Group.

Hope this helps someone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts