Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 999, the tach jumped all the way over but the actual engine rpm didn't change. Then the LCD went blank. I shut it down and it restarted and was running fine but the LCD was still blank. Now it won't do anything..no LCD and won't start. I've checked all of the fuses and replaced the battery with still the exact same thing. The local dealer closed so now it's a two hour drive to the nearest shop. Ideas/Help?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
This may be a long shot, but I had a similar situation with my 03 999. Check the main wiring harness connector, the large round one with the grey plastic retaining clip above the battery box. Disconnect that and look at the side with the male connector pins. Check see if all the pins are there, that is there should be no blank holes without a pin. If all the pins appear to be there, check to see if they are all the same length and none have pulled back and is not making contact when inserted in the female side of the plug.

In my case I had at one time changed the main harness to the one supplied with the Ducati Performance race fairing stay.
When removing the street harness one of the pins had pulled back so when you looked at the male side of the connector there was one hole with no pin. It happened to be the pin that supplies the power so the tach/speedo instruments had no power and the bike wouldn't start. Prior to that my tach would somtimes act strange the needle would bounce around. It turns out that the black wire to that pin was too short and I had to splice in a longer section. This all came to light when I switched back to the street headlight bucket and wiring harness and the bike wouldn't start.

Good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had similar problem on my multi, tach needle/cluster went crazy but still ran fine. Turned out it was a bad ground. Fixed the grounding problem, reset the needle manually, works fine. Don't know if it's the same for the 9er but worth checking out.:D

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I had similar problem on my multi, tach needle/cluster went crazy but still ran fine. Turned out it was a bad ground. Fixed the grounding problem, reset the needle manually, works fine. Don't know if it's the same for the 9er but worth checking out.:D
The dash is strange, if the voltage is low at all, it resets the whole thing and you'll see the needle going up and back down again, repeatedly. Also, if that were the case, the bike wouldn't start either...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts