Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Ive got a 999 with a dead battery. Ive tried charging it up but when I try to crank it I get nothing. The screen comes on and bike is in neutral but it doesnt want to start is there something Im doing wrong or something I need to know?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hi guys! Ive got a 999 with a dead battery. Ive tried charging it up but when I try to crank it I get nothing. The screen comes on and bike is in neutral but it doesnt want to start is there something Im doing wrong or something I need to know?
When you turn the ignition on, what is the voltage you are getting?
If the battery was completely dead before you charged it, your battery might need replacement as it's likely damaged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im pretty sure its the stock battery. and the kill switch is off meaning it should crank. You guys think I need a new battery? Is there such thing as a master key? Do you need a certain type of battery charger?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Im pretty sure its the stock battery. and the kill switch is off meaning it should crank. You guys think I need a new battery? Is there such thing as a master key? Do you need a certain type of battery charger?
if a battery is shut it is independently from the master key and what not, the battery may say 12V and you may think it is charged but you may have a dead cell which requires a special tool to test.

if you have a 999 it is probably 2006 or early so your battery is at least 3 years old...I would change it just for that.

you thing that you can do is turn the bike on and you should hear the fuel pump firing off and creating pressure.....good luck

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
if a battery is shut it is independently from the master key and what not, the battery may say 12V and you may think it is charged but you may have a dead cell which requires a special tool to test.

if you have a 999 it is probably 2006 or early so your battery is at least 3 years old...I would change it just for that.

you thing that you can do is turn the bike on and you should hear the fuel pump firing off and creating pressure.....good luck
the old battery thing is a myth. as long as you maintain your battery, it can last several years. I have a 2005 999 with 20k miles with the original battery. I think the issue is that for people who don't ride enough, they tend not to keep up the maintenance on the batteries. (i.e. trickle charger or disconnect the battery when the bike sits for a long time).
I don't think 3 years is that long for a battery.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
take it off the bike and take it down to autozone, kragen, or any autopart store for a check. Most stores will do it for free. It's a 2 minute test and it tells you if you need a new one or not.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the battery is shot do I need a master key to crank it?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Is this a test of our goodwill :)...because I tell ya this is the most number of polite responses I have seen for a post with no year info and an apparent lack of some simple steps checks. Get the battery tested, provide year and model. Knowing when it last ran and anything that was done between now and then would help a bunch as well. We can then move on to fuses and connections to check.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Is this a test us for our goodwill...because I tell ya this is the most number of polite responses I have seen for a post with no year info and an apparent lack of some simple steps checks.
...it's because of the economy :D

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Removing the battery really only effects the clock in the display. You will have to re-set that. It will not throw the bike into any special mode that will require the red key. I am pretty sure the owners manuls are on Ducati.com site if you don't have one to look up the fuses. Given you had some power it's probably not a main fuse. I would just double check the row of fuses that are on the right hand side of the bike (as you sit on it) in front on the light housing. There is also a main fuse next to the battery. I recall a thread on here about a problem with a blown rear tail-light or tail light fuse and some issue with starting. It was confirmed by a 2nd person here as an issue....can't recall if it was a crank no-start or no crank. Hopefully it's just a battery and you will be good to go when replaced. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry guys its a 2005 and last time it was rode was around november. I live down here in myrtle beach and like you guys I suspect the battery is done. I just wanted to make sure when I replace the battery I dont need a master key to crank it. Thank you guys for all of the responses. You guys have been very helpful.

·
Registered
212 Posts
the old battery thing is a myth. as long as you maintain your battery, it can last several years. I have a 2005 999 with 20k miles with the original battery. I think the issue is that for people who don't ride enough, they tend not to keep up the maintenance on the batteries. (i.e. trickle charger or disconnect the battery when the bike sits for a long time).
I don't think 3 years is that long for a battery.
Of all the advice, this is the best one I've read. I definitely agree with the trickle charge, but remember to get a low amp one <1amp. I've had mine sitting on a trickle charge for years now, and even when I leave the bike for 3 months, she starts first time!

Before I used the trickle charge, I killed the original battery, which resulted in ruining my starter clutch (too many attempts at cranking it over)... what an expensive lesson that was!! I then bought a Yuasa battery and trickle charge and it's been sweet every since. Good Luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts