Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Im in the market for a set of Crash Protectors for my 999, and Im stuck between GSG-Mototechnik and R&G-Racing, has anyone used either of them, any comments are appreatiated :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I've seen the speedymoto stuff, seems ok but I considered the others because they seemed abit better,
the GSG one (made in Germany) has damage absrobing caps which can be changed in the case of little damage, but they look abit short compared to the R&G ones (made in the UK) which I think might be better because the 999 fairing is quite long and has those air things (or whatever they are called) at the front of the fairings.
I did not consider the underbody ones because the main reason for me fitting the protectors is to protect the fairing from scratches etc in case of a fall/drop

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
yeah I've seen the speedymoto stuff, seems ok but I considered the others because they seemed abit better,
the GSG one (made in Germany) has damage absrobing caps which can be changed in the case of little damage, but they look abit short compared to the R&G ones (made in the UK) which I think might be better because the 999 fairing is quite long and has those air things (or whatever they are called) at the front of the fairings.
I did not consider the underbody ones because the main reason for me fitting the protectors is to protect the fairing from scratches etc in case of a fall/drop
No matter which you use, I think that if you go down while rolling, there is no safety for the paint, I have the Speedy Moto underbody and my main reason is to save the engine-frame, the fairing is an add on.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
No matter which you use, I think that if you go down while rolling, there is no safety for the paint, I have the Speedy Moto underbody and my main reason is to save the engine-frame, the fairing is an add on.
Bingo. FRAME sliders protect the frame/engine. AXEL sliders protect the axel...etc. NOT RIDING protects the bodywork. ;)
Plus, to install the sliders you refer to REQUIRES CUTTING HOLES in the bodywork. Not very protective.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Bingo. FRAME sliders protect the frame/engine. AXEL sliders protect the axel...etc. NOT RIDING protects the bodywork.
Plus, to install the sliders you refer to REQUIRES CUTTING HOLES in the bodywork. Not very protective.
Truer words have not been spoken!

I used the "old-style" sliders that I had to cut the holes for. Then like many I crashed, the slider worked well in protecting the frame/engine/electrics/etc. But they did nothing to protect the bodywork, that was still a total write-off....
Now I use speedymoto underbody style, and no stupid holes cut into the body.... my 2 cents.....

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I'll be honest, the speedymoto under-body frame sliders on my 749R really did the job and neither the rear wheel or front wheel touch the ground enough to warrant wheel sliders during my 80 mph low side on pavement. I could have literally picked the bike back up, got back on it and continued my ride, but sadly they don't let ya do that at track days. :rolleyes:

My buddy on his R6 had through the fairing sliders. He had a small lowside, the slider broke off the frame of his bike and was found down the road a ways having not protected anything!

If your riding on the street and want something to protect your paint job; Don't crash! :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'll be honest, the speedymoto under-body frame sliders on my 749R really did the job and neither the rear wheel or front wheel touch the ground enough to warrant wheel sliders during my 80 mph low side on pavement. I could have literally picked the bike back up, got back on it and continued my ride, but sadly they don't let ya do that at track days. :rolleyes:
They do @ the track days here...well, at the one I ride with...lol

ride it in, tech it, if it's all good, keep going. But then again, the track day org I ride with is geared towards the racing org down here...go figure.

I've been considering the R&G ones myself due to the way the bracing is made and where it puts the slider its self.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
The R&G slider that is braced against the frame makes me nervous. It does not seem like a good idea to put a load on the sides of the frame tubes.

We've had very good look with Speedymoto under fairing sliders. Before they were available, we were cutting the Cycle Cat through the fairing sliders, so we could use them under the fairing.

-M

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I can understand it completely, but what about the areas in which it's placing the bracing?

3 frame braces?

Initially, I believed very strongly in the Cycle Cat sliders, however, now we've had two of them completely sheer off on us. The coupling nut sheered off on my bike in a less than 5 mph drop....not so cool

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My main reason for the sliders is to protect the frames at a low speed slide or drop (plus the engine etc), at a high speed crash I do not think anything can stop the bodywork from damage, thats why I am going for through the fairings sliders

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Yes, they are.
Thats why you had a problem... Everyone above is suggesting BEHIND the fairing sliders. The ones that go through the fairing, in most cases, just grind down and sometimes pop off, like you experienced.

My main reason for the sliders is to protect the frames at a low speed slide or drop (plus the engine etc), at a high speed crash I do not think anything can stop the bodywork from damage, thats why I am going for through the fairings sliders
Which is not the right idea... You'll notice no MotoGP or WSBK bike has frame sliders sticking out. Bet ya money, the privateer's still have sliders and they're behind the fairing. On Ducati's those work properly because the tank doesn't stick out more then the fairing does. The only reason to have through the fairing sliders is to protect the tank and possibly the body work, which as you said, doesn't happen.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
right, I finally ordered the GSG sliders a few weeks ago, and wanted to share that with everyone (for those who might be interested), I ordered them from AR racing (UK company) very recommended, they were friendly and fast. Note I also ordered the caps which can be fitted to the sliders and can be changed in case of a little slide, here I post some pictures of them and the bike before I install'em, but dont hold your breath that is gonna be a while because of work, sorry!

P.S. nothing bling like the 1098R superbuild or yellowd's 996 Redbull :)

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts