Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I'd try this too as everyone seems to be at it nowadays, but with a twist.

Forget the perforated straight pipes... how about "expansion" chambers that connect like an H. Could you imagine the sound?

Starting with a regular old grinder, I plan to split the two halves of the stock exhaust shell. Leaving the entrance, and exits pipes at the stock widths (54mm)... I want to change the inner diameter of the pipes to as large as I can. Cut out the circling, perforated, glasspacked mess that Ducati put in there to restrict it and make it quiet

I also want to connect the new two pipes with an H connector. Should allow for a small bit of back pressure and even a lovely burble on the downshift.

Let us see what the metal working and welding company say tomorrow!

Any notes from those in the know are appreciated :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you really want that burble then you either need to make the "h" connector a bit longer or cross them into an X. Here is a diagram what I have done in the past with the flanges inside the piping, and creates a very good burble on downshift and when decelerating. It is a little bit more work, but the back pressure is good. This is just for a straight pipe, you could put holes in the piping and glass the outside to reduce the "raspiness." Didn't really see a difference in HP between glassing it or not. Just a sound preference.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Appreciate it. The way the flanges are setup, it creates a mini chamber effect in the middle with the crossover "h" so that it creates the back pressure which in turn also gives you the burble. In short, it is like having a h-pipe and a flowmaster muffler all in one. Just make sure you do not make the gap in between the flanges too close, or the exhaust is going to have a hard time to flow correctly (too much back pressure). It is kind of like pinching off a tube.

Good luck in your endevour. Let me know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spoke with a fabrication shop today, and they can definitely help me out!

They can make it out of any material I want, only downside is now I have to figure out the actual measurements. Too bad I have been daily riding this bike since the weather warmed up.... HRRMM.. Maybe I'll take it off on thursday and have them do it over the weekend while I'm in Texas.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good luck mate, i hope all goes well, don't forget your safety glasses too

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, yeah... did not go so well. Completely ruined a dremel bit getting started on the lines, so I just decided to go for it with the grinder. Got through the first bit by the actual exhaust tips, but couldn't place the exhaust still in such a way as to get through the rest... how did you all manage that?

Also, I am completely deaf now. Probably shouldn't have started so late that I had to close the garage door, too stubborn I guess.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi
Yeh forgot to add don't forget ear plugs.

I just held the exhaust on a little stool and ground down the welds on the seams, didn't have any difficultly cutting/grinding along one handed either, it only took and hour to get it opened up.

Like you i brought a cheap grinder for the job. it came with a very think grinding disk and a waffer thin cutting disk.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi
Yeh forgot to add don't forget ear plugs.

I just held the exhaust on a little stool and ground down the welds on the seams, didn't have any difficultly cutting/grinding along one handed either, it only took and hour to get it opened up.

Like you i brought a cheap grinder for the job. it came with a very think grinding disk and a waffer thin cutting disk.
Mine came pretty thick, I'm going to go buy another at the store as they are only a buck or two.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had to buy TWO grinding bits today. One craftsman for 3 bucks, lasted about 4 minutes. One dewalt for 2 bucks, and it lasted all day if I want it to.

Got all the way through and ... surprise surprise... no swirling bits.

If I just cut open a termi I might kill myself. There was no sticker, no marking, nothing that I saw to indicate it was a termi. Has the same ZS as all the oem cans I saw.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I cut my OEM open and that is in no way even close to what it looked like. Termi's I've seen are straight through without the cross over. (Though maybe the half system Termi's are different?) I can tell you definitely though that is no OEM piece! I'm surprised that wasn't loud and great sounding already!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cut my OEM open and that is in no way even close to what it looked like. Termi's I've seen are straight through without the cross over. (Though maybe the half system Termi's are different?) I can tell you definitely though that is no OEM piece! I'm surprised that wasn't loud and great sounding already!
It wasn't that is why I am so surprised. Ugh what the hell have I done!

All I hear on the highway is wind, and I look down and I'm doing 90... so I wanted to do a drop in kit.... WOOPS.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After further inspection, this is indeed a termi half system. The CF shroud had a red ducati symbol sticker on it, and it still has the stock catted pipe, as well as the stock ecu... strange the PO never told me about it. Possible that he did not know it existed...

Anyway, time to make it better. If anyone is interested, I will cut out the pipe as cleanly as possible so you could throw it in a stock can if interested.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the lack of updates on this, I have all the perforated tubing cut, two tips, fiber glass.... the works. Yet the grinder I used was too thick for the job and cut a LOT of material out of the back end when I was taking out the stock tips.

So that one is going to sit on the bench for a little while, but I will try to not disappoint with this thread.

There may be some carbon fiber tubing in the mail heading my way as I type this, here is to that bastard deer that started me looking at my bike with "modding" eyes again.

:beer:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts