Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to change the oil in my bike (06 999) today and noticed a few small pieces of copper in the sump filter. Cut the spin on filter open and nothing to speak of in there. Do I have a rod bearing going out or could it possibly be something else producing the copper pieces?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
How many miles on the engine and how often have you cleaned the screen before?

If I’m not mistaken, only the rod bearings have Cu in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Is this the only Cu flake you found?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this the only Cu flake you found?

Yes, there are 3-4 flakes like that but that is the largest piece. The bike has just at 16,000 miles on it, and this is the first time I have cleaned that screen since I bought it last fall, so I dont know the last time it has been cleaned prior to me owning it. Discovered the flywheel nut had come loose while doing some work on it this winter so had the side cover off repairing that and am just getting around to changing the filter and getting it back together. Thinking I maybe should have pulled that screen when I drained the oil end of last year but hind sight is 20/20:|

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I would put it back together and run it for 500-600mls and check the screen again.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I would put it back together and run it for 500-600mls and check the screen again.

Sort of agree. Fill it with fresh oil and run it for A COUPLE of km then dump the oil and send a sample of the dumped oil and a sample of the new oil that went in to a company that does oil analysis. It’ll tell you straight away if there’s a bearing issue.
If the bearing is down to copper you would clearly notice it in your original oil dump that shows the flakes. The oil would look like dark metallic paint.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,387 Posts
Fit an oil pressure gauge then you'll know for sure.
If the pressure drops off rapidly when it gets hot then it's fucked.

Reactions: xracer

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
if the big ends are rooted they usually have 45 psi or so oil pressure, but the gauge will rapp wildly.
How funny.

I will translate for our American and European friends.

Rooted = fucked = cactus = an ex parrot in the words of Monty Python.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, after running my oil through a fine screen I found a couple larger pieces that were in the bottom of my catch pan. Looks like I'll be tearing it down for sure. Are factory bearings the only option out there or are there some better bearings available? Hoping the crank isn't f&^%$d.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts