Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a new pushrod for my 999 as the old one was worn and letting oil thru the seal at the pressure plate side...
The factory in Italy sent a 998 pushrod they say is the new replacement. It is the same size but has a pin thru it about 2 inches from the slave side. Is this to keep the rod from pulling out with the pressure plate as usually happens? I dont want to put it in and find out the pin should have been removed somehow.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
128 Posts
That looks wrong...how could the rod work with a pin in the way? Maybe talk to a tech rep. It should resemble the rod you took off the bike, don't you think,....

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Heres a photo, It is part #117217722a That is not the 999 or 998 part #.
So does the pin seat against the slave piston face or does it limit how far the rod can travel?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weird huh? Thats why Im asking here. The mechanic I asked said he heard of them trying to keep the rod from spinning as that was suspected in heating up the hydraulic fluid in clutch causing air in the system. It may also prevent the rod from coming out with the pressure plate which is not supposed to be ideal but generally happens every time you remove it.(Ive seen ZDM say a spot of grease helps there btw)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Weird huh? Thats why Im asking here. The mechanic I asked said he heard of them trying to keep the rod from spinning as that was suspected in heating up the hydraulic fluid in clutch causing air in the system. It may also prevent the rod from coming out with the pressure plate which is not supposed to be ideal but generally happens every time you remove it.(Ive seen ZDM say a spot of grease helps there btw)
I know that the spinning came from the pressure plates throw out bearing being seized or old. If there is a way to combat other clutch related issues like the boiling fluid (I have that with my brakes and the clutch:eek:) then by all means, be the guinea pig and let us know!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Seems to be an improvment over first design of this part.
It it's an OEM part, no problem. Fit it by the slave side (you'll have to remove the slave cylinder, only 3 screws).

A good idea they've had here!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never got an explanation. It wouldnt work with my 03 slave so I just ground it off and alls working fine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Your rite about the pin, it has been included to stop the rod from spinning and is used in conjunction with an up dated slave cylinder that has a slot in it for the pin to sit in. However i guess if its the same length as your old one you can take out the pin and it should work. Unless you find some old stock i think all new rods and slave cylinders will come this way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts