Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i was changing the oil on my 03' 999, the bottom of the filter ripped off. So from there i gutted the filter and attempted to use a punch and hammer to force it to rotate off with zero luck. Has anyone ever had this issue before? Or does anyone have a suggestion? Please help

·
Registered
954 Posts
Known to happen... :)

Right - gut the filter contents & stick your head under the bottom of the oil filter/use a mirror to look up inside it? You SHOULD have a series of six holes in the very bottom of the filter?

Using a pair of GOOD long-nosed pliers open them up and stick the prongs in two opposite holes.

Stick a ring-ended long spanner/wrench on one handle and use the shaft to push the other plier handle round....

http://ducatiforum.co.uk/f41/oil-filter-horror-3826/

Here's hoping this gets your filter out... I had grief with my first filter? Have since swapped to the K&N KN153 filters, these have a 19mm hut on the end to spin them off?

KN-153 K&N SPORTS OIL FILTER DUCATI 916 Biposto 97-98 | eBay

Will pretty much fit all the dry-clutch motors +? :)

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Using a pair of GOOD long-nosed pliers open them up and stick the prongs in two opposite holes.
Not too good though, in case they break. The filter in my Monster engine was so tight I reckon my long pliers would have broken using them as a lever.

I made a tool from bolts, nuts & washers - it's shown in the link above. I hope I'll never need it again.

Use K&N filters in future...

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Hit the filter area w/ a hair dryer and warm it up well. I would suggest a heat gun to speed things up but if your not careful you'll burn something. That's what I did w/ my 999 when I went thru the same ordeal...I panic just like you. But try it and see....not sure IF it was just about to break free when I applied the heat or the heat assisted it.....

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I'd have to take a strong drink if something like that happened to the oil filter during my change!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Happened to mine, dealer put it on way to tight. I tried the punch method and only damaged the side of the filter. My normal filter strap (ratchet style) kept slipping. What I did was doubled over 80 grit sandpaper and it gave me enough friction to get it loose. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Known to happen... :)

Right - gut the filter contents & stick your head under the bottom of the oil filter/use a mirror to look up inside it? You SHOULD have a series of six holes in the very bottom of the filter?

Stick a ring-ended long spanner/wrench on one handle and use the shaft to push the other plier handle round....

oil filter HORROR

Here's hoping this gets your filter out... I had grief with my first filter? Have since swapped to the K&N KN153 filters, these have a 19mm hut on the end to spin them off?

KN-153 K&N SPORTS OIL FILTER DUCATI 916 Biposto 97-98 | eBay

Will pretty much fit all the dry-clutch motors +? :)
The needle nose pliers did the trick! Thank you all for your input

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
"Heat it and beat it" has worked with most stuck fasteners for me. With a Ducati, however, go easy on the "beat it" part. I think that's more for Chevy's and Fords.

K&N is a few dollars more. With the nut attached to the bottom, it is a no-brainer. K&N every time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts