Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my hands on a 999 motor and a 998 motor. Kept inside, from running bikes, unknown mileage, spark plugs still in place and the carb boots covered and taped in place. Don't have the production years yet...

What's a fair price to put on them? Looking for a decent estimation. Thanks.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I own a 998 and recently needed an engine, so I spent quite a bit of time researching this exact thing.

998 engines are much harder to come by as they're rarer, but they're technically not as good in many ways. Given that they are no cheaper than 999 engines, I found a deep sump 999 engine. Most 998 engines I came across were complete and asking prices were around $1500 - not sure if they actually sold for near that, but that was the asking price.

999 engines come in a couple of flavors in the US. The 2005-2006MY are more desirable because they have higher performance camshafts than the 2003-2004 models. The 2005-2006 models also have the deep sump cases that are more desirable. I found 999 engines ranging from $1k-$2k depending on miles/completeness. I purchased a 2005 999 deep sump engine on ebay from a dismantler. They were asking $1500 plus shipping - I offered and purchased it for $950+shipping.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'll know more once I decode the serial numbers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts