Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 999R last year and figured I should have a look at the Ducati Performance Air Filters and clean and re-oil them. I did a search for instructions and found an old thread that was helpful but the pictures where gone.

I decided to take pictures as I went to help others. Mine is a 2005 Ducati 999R but should be relevant to any 999, biposto will be slightly different (can't help you there :) ). If anyone thinks of a better way to do something then how I did it by all means post and I will amend the tutorial.

First thing you have to do is remove the side fairings (I have no pictures of that but it is really simple and I assume most people can do that.) Then the fuel tank, seat and rear fairing. This comes apart as one piece. There are 4 bolts to remove. One on each side of the seat.

One under each side of the seat.

Once you remove those 4 bolts the seat can be lifted up I propped mine up on a 2x4 so I could easily access the fuel lines.

The fuel lines are a quick disconnect type they need to be pinched at the top of the 90 degree plastic piece and then pulled down.

Also the fuel pump connection needs to be pulled apart.

Then you need to remove the two vent tubes from the front of the tank. It is easier if you remove the black plastic cover first.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/MMs1n8ZB-UkO8qvEkVAmMRtwHU0HrUdO201alijecyg=w310-h2
06-p-no

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My right side vent tube was split so I trimmed it off, that was a mistake turns out the vent tube is a smaller diameter then what is suppose to be on the bike, I did not have another vent tube so I ended up splitting it again and putting it back on. I will have to fix that soon. Wonder why someone would have used such a small diameter vent hose. I will have to figure out how it is routed and replace it.

Once that is done the whole tank, seat and rear faring can be slide backwards off the two posts that hold it in the front.

I set it aside on my work bench.

I was worried that fuel might leak out from the tank or lines when i disconnected them but only what was in the lines themselves leaks, nothing from the tank and my tank was at least 1/2 full.

Now the nose fairing needs to come off so you can access the snorkels. This involves two bolts on the side.

The mirrors also have to be removed. They have one bolt and two pins holding them in. First you have to remove the rubber plug and disconnect the turn signal wires.

Then you can gently wiggle the mirror back and forth while pulling it away from the fairing and it pops right out. There is a rubber piece that goes between the faring stays (carbon fibre on the 999R) and the fairing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now the nose fairing can be removed from the bike.

Now the snorkels must be removed. The left side of the bike is fairly straight forward although the three bolts can be a challenge to get at I used an extension on my socket and it worked for me.

The left side.

The right side is a little harder to get at because you need to remove this first.

Two bolts hold it in place. Once those bolts are removed it can be moved out of the way enough to gain access to the snorkel air box bolts on the right side.

The three bolts on each snorkel are not the same size the hard to get at bolt on each side is smaller then the other two (the one on the bottom closest to the front of the bike).

Just make sure you put the correct ones back in.

Now that the snorkels are unbolted from the air box, the left one can be picked up out of the bracket it is in and set aside.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This leaves you access to the air filter.

It is easily removed and you can see inside the air box.

The right one is still connected to the radiator and can only be moved out of the way.

My very dirty air filters.

I used MWR filter oil cleaner and oil, I bought it from the good folks at Blue Streak Racing.
MWR Cleaner and Oil Kit
The instructions are to add a cupful (small coffee cup size) to 6l of water. Mine where so dirty I did it twice. I then let the filters dry overnight.

The next day I oiled the filters as recommended on the spray and reinserted them in the bike. I just reversed all the steps to reassemble the bike.

Make sure to add some Vaseline or lube of some kind to the quick connect fuel lines before reinserting.

Helpful hints:

Make sure you attach the bolts on the side of the seat before the ones on the bottom. Otherwise you can't move the seat to align the holes Duh.

If you are reattaching the mirrors by yourself I found it best to attach the mirrors to the fairing before putting the fairing on the stays. I did this by putting the wires back through and tying them in a loose knot to stop it from falling out. Otherwise it would be handing to have help there a a few things to line up and hold on to (the nose fairing, the rubber, the mirror and feed line the wires up).

Also have a rag right underneath the fuel lines when you disconnect them.

I hope this saves someone some time. If you have any suggestions feel free to post.

I would like to thank Scooter999 (awesome guy) for his assistance with this. I texted him a number of times when I wasn't sure what to do, especially with the fuel lines.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
When I got my first 999 I went to my local Ducati garage to ask their advice on whether my incredibly dirty air filters needed replacing or could be cleaned.

I'd taken the fairings off already so access was easy once the air tubes were removed.

They showed me how to clean them with an air line from the inside/airbox facing side of the filter (actually the outside of the filter as it is shaped a bit like a triangular cup) - the method was to use the air line on the outside sides of the filter to blow all the crap out from inside the filter, ie you blow the air through the filter material from the clean side through to the dirty side.

It worked a treat with some loosening of stubborn bits with the rounded end of a plastic Biro pen.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have done this last week and did not have to remove fuel tank to access air filters. Only side fairings, snorkels and nose fairings along with mirrors had to come off.

To my surprise, the filters were incredible filthy.
removed dirty filters:

I used "mr muscle oven" foaming cleaner. Sprayed from inside/outside then left 30 mins to do it's job and rinsed. Repeated twice:

This is how it looks clean, you can now see light through the foam if you put it against sun:

And the results?
Noticeable difference in power across 5k-9k revs, and much less hesitation on throttle pick up around 3-4k rev spot.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Old post but very useful.

My air filters were last serviced April 2017 so thought as I'm not riding lets see what we got and I'm real happy I did. Seems the rubber seal has perished and a lot of sand is trying real hard to get inside the filter. Ordered a pair of air filter rubber seals and quick connectors from Moto Rapido. The long hex key and grips in the foreground I used to get to the really difficult lower fastener on the right side, if you have tried to do this you will know what I mean. As the post above, I used oven cleaner it worked really well, will let dry and oil up tomorrow before reassembly.

Been a constructive morning. :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
are they k&n or bmc filters?

is the oven cleaner a bit aggressive for this sort of thing?
The filters are DNA. I used the oven cleaner as the previous poster did so, I may add they really cleaned up well. I know products are for sale specifically for cleaning air filters, I've used them before but its what I had to hand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts