Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into purchasing a 999 I would appreciate any advice on upgrades or things I should know about the bike before I purchase one. Also if someone could tell me how the bike handles and its overall performance and what they think of their 999 so far. -Thank you...Mike

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
What is your riding experience? What bikes have you owned before? What will you primarily use the bike for? (Street, Long rides, Track time etc) ... this info will help in getting the proper advise.

·
I'm NOT an AAAAA-d-m-i-n
210 Posts
You're gonna get what you want so you don't need advice. You just need us idiots who own one to justify you're getting one. With that said, go get one and join us idiots in all the fun.

Oh, I forgot... I don't own one. I do however qualify as an idiot.
again.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Markmx6 said:
Im looking into purchasing a 999 I would appreciate any advice on upgrades or things I should know about the bike before I purchase one. Also if someone could tell me how the bike handles and its overall performance and what they think of their 999 so far. -Thank you...Mike
Unless top speed on the track is important to you consider changing the gearing. I changed my front spocket form 15 to 14 and if anything the gearing could be a little lower (changing from 36 to 38 in the back). Even after changing both you would not need to change your chain.

I weigh 205 and ride very aggresively. The stock suspension settings were totally wrong for me. I think they were set up for someone who weighs 140 pounds and was more concerned with ride comfort than performance. In other words get the suspension set up for your weight/riding style immediately.

If you like the sound of the l-twin plan on spending the extra money and putting on an aftermarket exhaust. I am in the process of buying one. Not because I feel the need for more horsepower, rather to uncork that beautiful sound.

Good luck in your search.
I couldn't be happier with my 999

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the imput guys I just want to know a little bit about the bike before I spend 20 grand. As far a my experience I have only owned one bike it was a honda cbr 600 hurricane I had it for about 2 years and then sold it. Now that I've got the money to spend I want to get the bike of my dreams a ducati 999. Thanks again - Mike

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Markmx6 said:
Thanks for all the imput guys I just want to know a little bit about the bike before I spend 20 grand. As far a my experience I have only owned one bike it was a honda cbr 600 hurricane I had it for about 2 years and then sold it. Now that I've got the money to spend I want to get the bike of my dreams a ducati 999. Thanks again - Mike
If it's the bike of your dreams, and you got the money ... then there's only one thing left to do .... :D

Go for it ... congrats in advance, be safe!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I own a 749s and although its not a 999, I think what I have experienced will also be true for the 999 so keep this in mind:

1. The bike is horribly uncomfortable to ride under 55mph.

2. If you live someplace with strait flat roads, its going to be boring, she eats up corners and handels too good for anything even vaguely strait or flat to challenge it.

3. The underseat catalytic converter and exhost will cook your ass off under 55mph, even at 55+ it can get painfull hot. I suggest getting an aspestus ass.

Beyond that great bike dont look back :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.