Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I keep reading that certain 999 models have 20mm of adjustable seating.

How exactly does that work? Does the whole tank assembly move back and forth? Can you adapt that to any of the 749/999 bikes?

·
Registered
172 Posts
INfo

The whole tank and seat assembly moves forward or back. It is adjustable on the 2005 + 749s, 749r, 999, 999s, and 999r, from what I can recall. Usually the factory will set it in the middle. Also, this is only on the monoposto. Hope i got that right.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
all 999s and 999r mono versions are adjustable dont know about the bib

·
Registered
698 Posts
Loosen the 2 hex head bolts that bolt through the bottom sides of the seat into the bracket on the subframe. Everything moves as one.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Herbivator said:
Loosen the 2 hex head bolts that bolt through the bottom sides of the seat into the bracket on the subframe. Everything moves as one.
... there are 3 positions too.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys!

Hmph. I have an 05 Dark.. which does not adjust. Darnit! Because I'm pretty short, and a little extra reach would have been really nice. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
rustysrustyduc said:
Thanks Guys!

Hmph. I have an 05 Dark.. which does not adjust. Darnit! Because I'm pretty short, and a little extra reach would have been really nice. Oh well.
There are 3 positions to adjust the seat, the difference between the forward-most and the rear-most settings are 'about' an inch and a half apart. Your Dark is set to right 'about' the middle. Even if your seat was adjustable and you adjusted it forward, you would barely feel it, so don't worry about it too much, coz you're not missing out on a whole lot ;)

If you really want a better reach, then you are best-off upgrading your clip-ons to some FBF or Helibars for 'about' $250... then you're likely to feel some meaningful difference.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Herbivator said:
Wait, so are you saying the tank/seat/rear cowl is ALL held down with only *two* bolts?!

I had the chance to take a look at the bolts under the seat, and I could see the different position, but now I'm a bit perplexed as to where else needs to be "adjusted" to get the assembly to move forward.

Yeah, I think a set of bars would be good too. But it would be nice if I wanted to turn my biposto into a mono, it would mean I could get the adjustability as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
rustysrustyduc said:
Wait, so are you saying the tank/seat/rear cowl is ALL held down with only *two* bolts?!

I had the chance to take a look at the bolts under the seat, and I could see the different position, but now I'm a bit perplexed as to where else needs to be "adjusted" to get the assembly to move forward.
Can anyone provide additional details how this is done? I've got both of my hex bolts out but it doesn't seem to "slide". I assume only the Tank and seat slide forward?

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
rustysrustyduc said:
Well on the 916 series, the tank is held on with one bolt and the seat with two small plastic pins........ :)

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Yes, only the two bolts through the seat grab handle on each side, plus the two that go straight up into the tail cowl on each side. Have to remove all four to adjust the seat. Total movement is 20mm or +-10mm from the center hole. Once all the bolts are out, you can lift up on the seat a bit and see all three holes right behind the grab handle where you took out that bolt. It does not slide foward are backwards easy. I had to take a center punch and stick it in the hole and "help" it out a little. The entire tank/seat/rear tail section all move as one unit. Hows that?

·
Registered
157 Posts
cheers galaxy

galaxy said:
Yes, only the two bolts through the seat grab handle on each side, plus the two that go straight up into the tail cowl on each side. Have to remove all four to adjust the seat. Total movement is 20mm or +-10mm from the center hole. Once all the bolts are out, you can lift up on the seat a bit and see all three holes right behind the grab handle where you took out that bolt. It does not slide foward are backwards easy. I had to take a center punch and stick it in the hole and "help" it out a little. The entire tank/seat/rear tail section all move as one unit. Hows that?
You're the man brotha, thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
newbie from PA

used to have 2 748's wrecked both and now ready to get back on the italian horse. laugh laugh just got the okay from the misses, so a buying for another 748 i will go

1 - 14 of 14 Posts