Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

999 & 999r

12K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  tye1138 
#1 ·
So are they 2 completely different bikes or is the 999R basically just a 999 with a few modifications? In theory, could I take a 999 and make it a 999R?

#2 · (Edited)
No, full carbon fibre body work, Alot of lightweight engine internals, bigger TB's and different injectors, ?bigger bore slightly?....another 40HP (estimate). Lighter front and rear subframe i think, Ohlins front and rear suspension....Not even close to a base....thats just a quick sum-up of it, i don't want to type all night the vast amount of changes...Lighter crank too?

you could do it, but you would waste alot of money.

EDIT: here is some info

The large bore (104 mm) enables high revs as well as the use of larger-diameter valves to let the engine breathe freely. The main differences with respect to the other 999 models is found in the top end of the powerhouse where more extreme cam-timing guarantees top-notch performance, while the oversized titanium valves with reduced diameter stems work on bronze seats to ensure greater reliability.

But that is not all. The 999R also has titanium valve collets, 12-hole racing injectors, magnesium head covers, carbon covers for the timing belts with a built-in ventilation system and carbon heat shield for the silencer. Everything has been designed as if this were an actual racing bike to offer exceptionally low weight and high performance without compromising reliability.

The feathery overall weight of the 999R has been achieved by the use of several parts in magnesium, including the front headlight support and rear view mirror supports. The sculpted carbon fibre fairing has been shaped as a result of strict aerodynamic tests, carried out by applying the experience gained from hundreds of races all over the world. The tall plexiglas nose fairing, identical to that used in competition, provides protection even at top speed. The seat features a high grip covering that enhances rider feel of the bike for improved control.

#3 ·
You would end up spending probably 15K just buying 999R parts if not more. You need the frame, so in essence, you would be buying a whole bike in parts. There are only minor small things and the swingarm that are the same.

#5 ·
Frame @$2500
suspension @$2K
triples @$300
body work @$2000
seat @$100
wheels @$1000
ECU @$500
motor (complete) from $3K to $6K depending on condition and who is selling
fairing stays @$400
headlight housing @$250

Just to name a few. So maybe not $15K, but a lot.

#6 ·
Actually, Ducati performance had a kit to convert a 999S to a 999R. I'm sure its expensive, but when its done, it would be a high-comp race motor.

The differences between the two bikes (besides the motor) are not worth the extra cash. The motor is totally different, even the cases are different, but some people don't care about that. If you want a 999R out of your 999S, you could easily swap motors (buy a 999R and sell the 999S). The magnesium bits and slightly lighter forged wheels, eh... I wouldn't bother for a street bike.

#9 · (Edited)
I suppose you can do anything if you have the money and the time. I can only speak for the 03 999R vs the 03-04 999. HP difference is 12HP (124vs136), the 999 is a 998cc whereas the 999R is a 999cc. There might be a couple bits in the motor but the compression is 11.4:1 vs 12.3:1 for the 999R. Torque is 102 vs 108 for the 999R, suspension is Showa and full Ohlins on the 999R, weight is 439 lbs vs. 425 lbs on the 999R, brakes are non radial whereas the 999R has 4 pad radial lowers, no carbon fiber or magnesium bits on the 999 vs the 999R has full carbon fiber body work except the tank and magnesium headlight bucket. 999 does have 3 to 4 rear set mounting holes on either side vs the 999R has only 2. A real big performance and looks difference were the wheels. The 999R recieved the new semi gloss 10 spoke(some call them 5 Y spoke) black forged aluminum light weight wheels whereas the 999 got the grey not as light 10 spoke Marchesini wheels. If you compare them the 999R wheels have a clean finish whereas the 999 wheels are rough. I believe 03 was the first year Ducati put into production the 10 spoke, the last year being the 5 spoke grey Marchesinis on the 02 998.

As you can see the external parts would be fairly easy to convert, but its what was done to the motor that could make this project expensive. The other is the carbon fiber. I would shop for a true 999R, believe me if you find one you will not regret it. BTW, the above comparisons relate to the 03-04 models, not the 05-06. The base 999 did improve in the newer models, but so did the 999R. I'm actually almost finished upgrading my 03 999R, my goal was to add more carbon fiber. There is something about the color combination of the 03 and 04 999R, in particular the grey frame against the red and the cf next to the fairings. The added cf also enhances the look in a big way. I now like the colors of the 03 set up better than the red frame, but they both look great actually.

I see DGP has a $2K estimate for carbon fiber conversion. Thats a great price although I have personally never seen a set that cheap. I saw a new set going for around $3.5K recently and retail its at least twice that. Also the 03 999R and maybe the 04 model had the cf tail whereas the 05 and 06 did not. The tail is an example of how small details like exposed carbon fiber by the air vents dramatically improves the overall look of the bike. Ducati did a nice job on designing/painting the cf tail.

#10 ·
The first generations of the 999, can't be compared to the later revisions.

The 2005/2006 999S has the same Ohlins as the 999R. Same gearing/transmission, same clutch, same geometry, its pretty much the same bike, minus the stupid magnesium bits and forged wheels vs cast wheels.

Here is a direct comparison for ya. You'll notice, the differences are nominal. Bit more power, slightly less weight, but both bikes are still very heavy. The 749R is the only bike out of the xx9 series that is pretty different.

999S vs 999R comparison

#14 ·
Close to the same but totally different in the way the 999R performs and handles compared to the 999S.

#11 ·
Perhaps it might be more worth it to just get a bore kit for a 999 (the 999 I speak of is the 03 Bip model) and maybe a full Termi or Moto Corse. Which still unfortunately might not equal the 999R, plus then there's the rest of the bodywork/frame upgrades. I did find an 05 999R motor for $2.5k, but I don't think I could just drop it in the frame.

#12 ·
For that price, it probably needs a full rebuild.
There are a couple guys that have done the bore kits, I am not sure what power they made though. I say buy a 999R, you will be much happier.

#13 ·
The 999R and the 999 are completely different and anyone that can compare them is completely deluded . The frame is made from different grade alloys and construction , the engine is different altogether the ECU is different the wheels the fairing the injectors . The only thing similar is the tyres and the oils. Oh and its the same colour .

#19 ·
You must be kidding

"The 999R and the 999 are completely different and anyone that can compare them is completely deluded . The frame is made from different grade alloys and construction , the engine is different altogether the ECU is different the wheels the fairing the injectors . The only thing similar is the tyres and the oils. Oh and its the same colour ."

First off they are very must the same bike, please do not suggest that a 999 and a 999r are far different bikes. I own a 05 999r and a 05 749r. I have also owned a 05 999s, 05 999, 1098 and many more. The 999r is not to far off the 999 and to say that "the 999R and the 999 are completely different and anyone that can compare them is completely deluded" is completely ignorant. You must first and foremost realize that the 999R is a 999 and yes it has many different parts and materials to make those parts, but the same basic geometry and characteristics remains the same. The 999r obviously handles better, has more stopping power and has more tq and horse power, but to say that it is a entirely different beast than the 999 could not be further from the truth. These bikes are very comparable. Take the R off the end and you are left with a 999. I love the standard 999 and would say that although they are different they are much more simillar than they will ever be different. O and the 999r is a cool bike, I will take my 749r all day long over the 9......

#20 · (Edited)
"The 999R and the 999 are completely different and anyone that can compare them is completely deluded . The frame is made from different grade alloys and construction , the engine is different altogether the ECU is different the wheels the fairing the injectors . The only thing similar is the tyres and the oils. Oh and its the same colour ."

First off they are very must the same bike, please do not suggest that a 999 and a 999r are far different bikes. I own a 05 999r and a 05 749r. I have also owned a 05 999s, 05 999, 1098 and many more. The 999r is not to far off the 999 and to say that "the 999R and the 999 are completely different and anyone that can compare them is completely deluded" is completely ignorant. You must first and foremost realize that the 999R is a 999 and yes it has many different parts and materials to make those parts, but the same basic geometry and characteristics remains the same. The 999r obviously handles better, has more stopping power and has more tq and horse power, but to say that it is a entirely different beast than the 999 could not be further from the truth. These bikes are very comparable. Take the R off the end and you are left with a 999. I love the standard 999 and would say that although they are different they are much more simillar than they will ever be different. O and the 999r is a cool bike, I will take my 749r all day long over the 9......
Yet another deluded sole .The R isnt anything like a base and anyone who thinks it is dosent know f**k all
come to think of it its not even a 999 is it . 998 derivative would be better

#21 ·
and as far as the conversion is concerned, that would be the single largest waste of money EVER...... Same goes for everyone that spends 3k on exhaust to add what 5 percent more horsepower if that. Not to knock anyone but if you are rocking a 10k used bike now, you DO NOT NEED EXHAUST, you will not utilize it, save your money, ride more and save for better technology in the future.

#22 ·
Assuming someone wants better technology. But good point none the less. I waited till I found a 749R that had the Leo Vince on it already, def did not want to shell out $3500 for that.

#25 ·
The R has exclusivity, performance and prestige, but none of them add up to the 12k price premium. Say whatever you like about how much it would cost to upgrade a 999 to the 999r because a 999 owner would simply never do it. You can not justify the purchase by saying 4k for ohlins, 1k for forged wheels (which is a complete waist of money when you could get magnesium) 4k for carbon fairings and so on, because although the carbon fiber and magnesium components on the 999r are beautiful, they are completely worthless to the average rider or even experienced rider, both will never ever ever ever ever notice the performance difference between carbon fairings and standard fairings, that goes for the magnesium headlight bucket and every other bit of carbon and magnesium on the bike. You will notice the motor, the Ohlins and the forged wheels, but not 12k worth in my opinion. Buy a standard and if you want more performance buy magnesium wheels and ride that is it. Or blow your money on a 999r and talk it up like it is amazing and so so so much better than a standard, so you can justify THE 30K PURCHASE or so you can seem all expert like or like you have gained some sort of prestige because you got to ride a 999r. Guess what?? IT IS NOT ALL THAT SPECIAL......

#27 ·
It is true, most of us are average riders, and we won't experience the real meaning of all the upgrades. But, the bike is very special to most of the owners of one. It is a special edition, made in limited quantities, and yes that adds up to bragging rights for some, but to others it is just a special feeling. I love my R, and will def get to the track this year with it, and hope to keep going back. I had a 749Dark before that, and I love this bike so much more, it is just a different feeling to me. Ferrari sells the F430 Scuderia for way more than the parts are that went into it, but it is something that is very special to, I would imagine, most of the owners of one. Parts are not the only thing that makes these things special. So as far as the questions goes; I think that out of the box the R is going to be a better bike that will give a much bigger kick compared to the base model. And the word "kick" can have various meanings of course. Just my opinion.

#26 ·
Good point, I guess I was thinking in performance not looks as that it what matters to me when purchasing a bike. I bet if you compared part numbers on say a 05 999 standard and a 05 999r only about what 20 percent would cross over.. Does anyone know the actual number?? If you are judging by parts cross over than I guess they are completely different bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.