Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an offshoot of the carbon mirror thread.

Unfortunately this particular model doesn't come in red. I think desmoworld may sell a red version, but I didn't want to risk any errors in translation (German), so I went to cyccon instead. As DarkDaddy pointed out in the other thread, these mirrors are made by FAR SpA in Italy.

After more correspondence with cyccon, I ordered a pair. In this particular style ("StealthAero"), they have two sizes:
230mm with mirror surface of 120x71 mm
250mm with mirror surface of 140x85 mm

I thought about getting a slightly different style ("GrandSport," appears to be the same as the DP mirrors) that was offered in red, but they were smaller than what I wanted. The info they sent me said the bigger Stealth Aero ones are EU homologated (I'm guessing that's their equivalent of DOT approved). I wanted to avoid the DEE™ (Doberman Ear Effect™) if at all possible, plus I wanted big ol HiDef Truck Mirrors. So I got the big smackers.

Big price difference between the two. The big ones were 84.75 Euro each, the smaller ones were 64.75 Euro each. These were for LED and carbon gray (faux carbon) finish.

It includes both orange and clear lenses, so you can choose which one you want to use. They also offer a regular lamp bulb version for less, and the regular lamp plus satin black finish is cheaper still.

The "carbon gray" finish (pictured) is very dark. This is not the same as their "standard carbon" finish, which I feel is too loud and blingy.

Pics when they arrive. But international shipping, Netherlands to Hawaii, plus the holiday season... may take a while to get here.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
84,75 (left) + 84,75 (right) + 19,75 (shipping) = 189,25 Euro (Total)

edit
oops . instead of ,

edit2
paid thru paypal, you can enter the Euro amount directly, and it automatically debits you the correct US$ amount.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The mirrors arrived today. Very nice. Like others have noted with the DP mirrors, there's no rubber pad, so you have to trim the OE pad to fit. I'm going to Home Depot to see if they have some rubber I can use, don't wanna cut up the OE piece in case I want to reinstall it later.

Some pics. It comes with the clear lenses included. I'll leave them orange for now. Mika the dog gives her approval.

Closeup of the faux carbon finish. Resembles clear coated carbon, nice and subtle, not like the black & silver checkerboard of the usual faux carbon you see on Lockhart blinkers & such.

Approximate position of the mirrors.

I still have to go to Home Depot for some rubber. And to Radio Shack for some 8 ohm, 20 watt non-inductive resistors (to slow down the LED blinking rate). Maybe by this weekend. More pics later.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha best idea ever, never thought of that. I went to K-mart, got a generic inner tube, all of $2.99, now I have more rubber than I know what to do with.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
desmodoms...guarenteed to make you come faster :D
hahahah that's what SHE said... though i think she wanted slower instead of faster. ;)

Update

This afternoon, I was about to trim the inner tube rubber to fit the base of the mirrors. Then I noticed something... the base of the new mirrors are an EXACT MATCH for the OE mirrors. NO NEED TO CUT NEW RUBBERS!!! (see below; new mirror on left, OE mirror on right) w00h00!!!! :D

Then...
I was preparing to sauder the resistors and quick-disconnects. As I was verifying the wiring, I tested the flashers... guess what... they're already compensated!!! NO NEED TO INSTALL THE RESISTORS!!!! Even though it's LED, they've already compensated for the wattage & resistance, so it blinks at the normal OE rate. No resistor required! OMG! So in essence, aside from trimming the length of wire and installing new bullet connectors, it's basically plug & play.

When shopping for these mirrors, I really didn't expect this level of compatibility. Especially for LED flashers, you usually need to install the non-inductive resistors or a new relay. And I also didn't expect the base to exactly match the OE rubber pad. So at this point, these mirrors have exceeded my expectations.

Sorry, no other pics at this time, as the nose is still off for the CF vent insert installation. Hopefully all will be done by this weekend.

·
Registered
343 Posts
sooo... when you're riding, can you still count the stitching on your elbow armor, or can you actually see behind you?? lol

any pics of the mirrors installed from the cockpit perspective?....

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would love to see some pictures when you get them installed! Man, these are WAY nicer then the DP mirrors. Good price too.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Didn't get a chance to take pics, but did go for a quick spin on Friday. Been really busy up to Christmas. Hopefully I'll get pics up by this weekend.

Really freaked me out the first time on the road. Looked in them and was like JESUS WTF?!?!? and realized oh it's a car. Not used to seeing those.

One minor negative I noticed. If you have to angle the mirror surface slightly upwards (like if you're really tall), naturally the back surface of the mirror (the LED side) will angle down slightly. While the lenses do a decent job of dispersing the light, LED lights are naturally brightest viewed head on. So in this orientation, the LED brightness/intensity seems about 10-15% less. The more perpendicular you get the mirror surface to the road, the more direct the line of sight of the LEDs to other drivers, and the brighter the LEDs appear. So if you're really tall I'd recommend the standard bulb model.
(But I'm really short so it doesn't affect me much :) )

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay here are the pics :)

The larger size more or less offsets the DEE™ (Doberman Ear Effect™).

Cockpit view:

This approximates what I actually see. Depending on your height & shoulder width, YMMV.

Closeup of finish, it does look quite handsome:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally got some mileage on. View is good and stable below about 75mph. From 75+ there is some vibration, but you can still see cars behind you. From 100+ there is a lot of vibration, but honestly I don't look in the mirrors at those speeds.

On the first ride, at around 90-100mph, the wind force was enough to fold one mirror back. So make sure the bolt at the base (5 or 6mm hex, I forget exactly) is tight. So I tightened it and went on another ride, and it was fine.

Overall I'm pleased, I'd give them an 8 out of 10.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I have the smaller ones installed on my 2005 999S. It's black, so the match was good. The rearward vision is much better than stock, but I am surprized at the amount of flex that is allowed by the fairing support structure underneath.

What did you guys use to fill the forward hole?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts