Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the impression that this service interval would run about $600 or so.
Oil change
Valve/guide check
Replace the timing belt
Plugs
Air Filter
some other basic checks

Price quote from the dealer...$1200, more if the valves need work about $400 more in fact. Whaaaa?

He also wants a 3 week heads up to order parts.

I do a bit of my own MX- oil, plugs, filter and checking torques and general lube I can do and already have done. I will re-do my own clutch and steering head pack as well.

Are these guys nuts or what? They actually have a good reputation but I was not happy with this news. Word is even if I tell them I don't want this and that- the price will still be the same.

On the way out the sales guy hit me up to trade in the 999 for the 1198 (they see me looking). He mentions that with the trade-in on my 999 plus the service cost savings I could get a good deal on the newer bike. Hmmm, is this sounding like a tactic to soak the customer on MX and then try to push them into a new bike? I know people are going for this, but now I'm sceptical of this dealer.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I was under the impression that this service interval would run about $600 or so.
Oil change
Valve/guide check
Replace the timing belt
Plugs
Air Filter
some other basic checks

Price quote from the dealer...$1200, more if the valves need work about $400 more in fact. Whaaaa?

I do a bit of my own MX- oil, plugs, filter and checking torques and general lube I can do and already have done. I will re-do my own clutch and steering head pack as well.

Are these guys nuts or what? They actually have a good reputation but I was not happy with this news. Word is even if I tell them I don't want this and that- the price will still be the same.

On the way out the sales guy hit me up to trade in the 999 for the 1198 (they see me looking). He mentions that with the trade-in on my 999 plus the service cost savings I could get a good deal on the newer bike. Hmmm, is this sounding like a tactic to soak the customer on MX and then try to push them into a new bike? I know people are going for this, but now I'm sceptical of this dealer.
Call Nichols Manufacturing in Milpitas, ask them what they charge.

Yet I believe your estimate is low.
There is 2 hours in disassembly to get to valves, bodywork, covers etc. etc.
And 2 to put it back together.
That does not cover checking and re-adjusting +/- 4 hours. Then parts.

I have not bought them for a while but the 999 belts were about $230.00 for the pair.

I would think costs for a full service should be around $800.00 to $900.00.

But ask Jon @ Nichols They are just an hour away from you........

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Learn to do it yourself, at least some of it. I just got a set of belts ($104) and DP airfilters (1 set for $29, the other for $35) off Ebay. Heck, retail for the belts is $214 and a set of filters are $129...I got 2 set for $64!. I have three Ducati oil filters that I got anywhere from $8 -$12 w/ crush washers. If you keep an eye out you can save yourself a fortune for authentic Ducati parts on Ebay. The oil/filter, air filter, plugs and belts you can do yourself. The valves I'll leave to a pro! I don't care I'll tow my 999 to the dealer sans bodywork and cam covers for the valve check. I'll save money and he'll appreciate less time consuming labor!:)

·
Registered
333 Posts
???

Oil change
Valve/guide check
Replace the timing belt
Plugs
Air Filter
some other basic checks

Dude, that blows. Service should be about 4-500 bucks and no more. I have had a 749 and 999 go into the 6000k service and that was the price. Valves were in check though. Belts were replaced and all the rest... Both good services and both bikes were very happy after.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I do all my own work, including setting the valve clearances and the ECU re-set. No way I'd do all the work that's involved for less than $1000.00 for someone else.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just started it myself- got everything off tonight and will do the the oil/filters/and various what-nots.

I forgot that they will do the throttle bodies (sync). Hey it's a lot of work, so I can appreciate what's involved.

Never done the belts before- I'll do a search to see what it takes. Cant be "THAT" difficult. Remove the old one check the wear on the pullies, put on the new one- check the tension...done, I imagine.

I want to be able to take it over in my truck to someplace and say "hey, would you mind doing the valve check and throttles, thanks! I don't begrudge a company to make a profit, I get it! . But I understand some dealer shops won't give you that option, what! But come on, treat me right. I have three bikes (almost four-1098s, someday soon) and my kids will have bikes of their own too. So I am a customer you want.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Call Nichols Manufacturing in Milpitas, ask them what they charge.

Yet I believe your estimate is low.
There is 2 hours in disassembly to get to valves, bodywork, covers etc. etc.
And 2 to put it back together.
That does not cover checking and re-adjusting +/- 4 hours. Then parts.

I have not bought them for a while but the 999 belts were about $230.00 for the pair.

I would think costs for a full service should be around $800.00 to $900.00.

But ask Jon @ Nichols They are just an hour away from you........
Will do- I'll call them monday- thanks!

Gotta love this forum.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My local dealer in Birmingham Alabama is now charging $107 per hour for labor so its very easy to run up a large service bill.

·
Registered
366 Posts
6k service at my local stealer was $1309 :(
and when it came back it ran worse than it did before, and now stalls at every stop light :mad:
i will be finding someone that knows the bike, not someone that reads it from a book
sorry to hear that !~!!! what a night mare !!! I hope it doesnt happens to me
!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just paid 545 for mine.

I stripped the bike completly down before I brought her in, and I told them to only do the Valves and Belts. Everything else can easily be done by yourself.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I stripped the bike completly down before I brought her in, and I told them to only do the Valves and Belts. Everything else can easily be done by yourself.
Awesome, see that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

thats how it will be from now on. but at the same time i had just gotten the bike and wanted them to go over it and give me the green light anyway

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Learn to do it yourself, at least some of it. I just got a set of belts ($104) and DP airfilters (1 set for $29, the other for $35) off Ebay. Heck, retail for the belts is $214 and a set of filters are $129...I got 2 set for $64!. I have three Ducati oil filters that I got anywhere from $8 -$12 w/ crush washers. If you keep an eye out you can save yourself a fortune for authentic Ducati parts on Ebay. The oil/filter, air filter, plugs and belts you can do yourself. The valves I'll leave to a pro! I don't care I'll tow my 999 to the dealer sans bodywork and cam covers for the valve check. I'll save money and he'll appreciate less time consuming labor!:)
+1... invest in some of the basic service tools and they'll pay for themsevles in the first service. IMO, working on Ducati's is alot easier on working on Jap bikes.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Mine was a deal at $850.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i get back to the states in a week so i called the local dealership to get a price for the service and was told it would be around 1000 and more if the valves need shims or something.

when i bought the bike, it had like 5200 miles and was told that the 6000 mile service would run me about 800 or more if valves need adjusting. when i told this to the service guy he said that the labor alone would run 600-800 bucks. would also take about a week to finish...

not looking forward to this...i have a 2003 999

1 - 20 of 24 Posts