Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all ,i was wondering would it be ok to put a termi 54 exhaust end can onto stock no ecu etc ,would it cause any damage ,im not looking for any hp gain just more for the sound ,any help would be greatful people

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
You'll need to somehow fab an inlet pipe to fit the larger exhaust pipe inlets on the 54mm muffler. I've had both on my 999, the Termignoni slip on muffler sounds tons better. I have no idea why, probably the use of the full exhaust w/ the 54mm muffler muffle cut the sound down. However a Termignoni slip on muffler will fit w/o any issue's...and w/o a doubt sound much better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll need to somehow fab an inlet pipe to fit the larger exhaust pipe inlets on the 54mm muffler. I've had both on my 999, the Termignoni slip on muffler sounds tons better. I have no idea why, probably the use of the full exhaust w/ the 54mm muffler muffle cut the sound down. However a Termignoni slip on muffler will fit w/o any issue's...and w/o a doubt sound much better.
thanks does that mean the 54mm muffler wont fit straight on to the standard link pipes ,will they be to small ,,will i need to get modified link pipes would links of s model fit

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
The muffler is made to fit 54mm pipes. The factory ones are definitely smaller. You would have to have someone cut and weld some piping onto your stock pipes to make it fit. I don't know how much bigger they need to be, but I imagine flaring some pipe and welding it on might be enough. And no pipes were different for any of the XX9 bikes, all the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all , i found out the 54mm termi muffler is from a 2005model ,instead of welding stock pipes ,would the link pipe fit from the 2005 model to my 2003 or can i get a 54mm link pipe of a 2003 model would it work ,

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
thanks all , i found out the 54mm termi muffler is from a 2005model ,instead of welding stock pipes ,would the link pipe fit from the 2005 model to my 2003 or can i get a 54mm link pipe of a 2003 model would it work ,
The link pipe is designed to be the same size as the stock pipes without the catalytic convertor. It is not enlarged. The ONLY pipes that will work without modification are the original 54mm pipes that came with the exhaust can. Part number 96433403B is the full kit. Those are the only pipes that work. If you take your stock pipes to a custom exhaust shop I am sure they can figure out making something that will fit it for you. Cost, I am not sure what that would be. I would imagine it would take at least 2-3 hours of labor, maybe more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The link pipe is designed to be the same size as the stock pipes without the catalytic convertor. It is not enlarged. The ONLY pipes that will work without modification are the original 54mm pipes that came with the exhaust can. Part number 96433403B is the full kit. Those are the only pipes that work. If you take your stock pipes to a custom exhaust shop I am sure they can figure out making something that will fit it for you. Cost, I am not sure what that would be. I would imagine it would take at least 2-3 hours of labor, maybe more.

thanks ,think i go with option of getting stock linkes fabricated to fit ,will i need new exhaust gasket any idea where id get them ,also ,when i fit the muffler onto stock links ,will it be ok to run on stock ecu ,will cat or exhaust valve cause engine light to come on

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
thanks ,think i go with option of getting stock linkes fabricated to fit ,will i need new exhaust gasket any idea where id get them ,also ,when i fit the muffler onto stock links ,will it be ok to run on stock ecu ,will cat or exhaust valve cause engine light to come on
Ideally you would want the cat removed from the link pipe bc the exhaust can does not have one. I have a couple link pipes that I modified that fit regular sump motors. If you want one of those you I could sell you one. Or you could modify the one you have. Up to you. Just let me know if you would like one.
And it also would be ideal to have a Power Commander to adjust the air/fuel ratio bc without the cats the exhaust will probably lean the mixture a little bit.
You could reuse the exhaust gaskets, just put some liquid exhaust sealant on them when you reinstall (any auto parts store will have that). The exhaust can was designed to have pipes slip inside it, so there are no gaskets at the can connection. Just make sure it has a good fit and you won't have any leaks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ideally you would want the cat removed from the link pipe bc the exhaust can does not have one. I have a couple link pipes that I modified that fit regular sump motors. If you want one of those you I could sell you one. Or you could modify the one you have. Up to you. Just let me know if you would like one.
And it also would be ideal to have a Power Commander to adjust the air/fuel ratio bc without the cats the exhaust will probably lean the mixture a little bit.
You could reuse the exhaust gaskets, just put some liquid exhaust sealant on them when you reinstall (any auto parts store will have that). The exhaust can was designed to have pipes slip inside it, so there are no gaskets at the can connection. Just make sure it has a good fit and you won't have any leaks.
thanks how much you talking for decat pipe and shipping to ireland ,would it cause a big problem if one cat left in

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
thanks how much you talking for decat pipe and shipping to ireland ,would it cause a big problem if one cat left in
$80 for the pipe. Shipping probably wont be cheap bc it is an odd shape. You could easily have a shop cut off the cat from the middle of the pipe and weld in a piece of pipe to fill the gap. That's all I had done. They just have to put a piece in that is the same length. I would do it bc one cylinder will be running hotter bc of the different back pressure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$80 for the pipe. Shipping probably wont be cheap bc it is an odd shape. You could easily have a shop cut off the cat from the middle of the pipe and weld in a piece of pipe to fill the gap. That's all I had done. They just have to put a piece in that is the same length. I would do it bc one cylinder will be running hotter bc of the different back pressure.
thanks for the help ill ask the shop who is goeing to fabricate the stock links to cut if off and reseal thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
thanks for the help ill ask the shop who is goeing to fabricate the stock links to cut if off and reseal thanks again
Cool, good luck! You will have a much better sounding machine when it is done! Maybe have the pipes coated after all is done to make them look perfect?

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Sell the Termignoni 54mm muffler then pick up a slip on.....it will sound loads better and the system work look so jury-rigged. To get any sound you need to get that cat out of there.
Be patient. peruse Ebay...IIRC BursiEvolution is selling a catless horizontal pipe for the 999/749..cheap. Grab a slip on muffler and the world is your oyster!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts