Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After attending the Barber Vintage Festival, the racing bug bit me. I sold my 15 675R track bike over the summer and figured it was perfect timing to build a class specific bike. After hours of research and planning, I’ve decided on the 999 frame with 1100 evo motor from a 2010 Hypermotard. I searched for the later style boxed swingarm, but prices were quite high. I settled on a 1098 SF swingarm which had been modified by motocorse in ft Lauderdale for a 200 width tire. It’s the same length as the 1098 corse arms so I don’t sacrifice any wheelbase/stability.

The remainder of the parts were mostly eBay finds with others being from awesome forum members. The front end will be 1198 showas with Öhlins fgk210 30mm cartridge kit, m4 monoblock calipers.

My main focus is weight and keeping it to a minimum since I won’t be going full bore on the motor. At most I’ll drop in some HC pistons and have the heads done. Preliminary plans for the bodywork are a Ducati kaemna front half fairing, oil containment bellypan and a custom fiberglass tail/seat.

The motor was delivered on Friday and bolted it up to the frame. The swingarm bolt “washers” will have to be remade as the swingarm bolt now passes through a touch higher.

My goal is to keep the KISS principle. No need to over complicate things and will hopefully help the build progress quickly. So far I have a couple of pictures, but nothing too exciting. If anyone has any insight/knowledge/etc.. please feel free to post. I’m all ears and will take all the help.

Also, if you happen to have some parts I’m looking for, maybe we could work out a deal. Thanks guys

Jared

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looks good, I have a project just about like yours I started last year. Slightly different I’m using an s2r bottom end and swing arm with non evo 1100 cylinders. 2 things I ran into that were a pita was moving the shock linkage, their seems to be 2 ways to do this and I’ve done it bolth ways on 2 different 999 frame projects. And they bolth suck. The other is cross bracing where the throttle body’s go. You just have to cut it out, you don’t want to waist your time building custom manifolds it is not worth it. Trust me! I haven’t found a good new place to re brace it but since I’m doing this as a school project my time is limited. I’ve been rebuilding the project website slowly and if you go to nisky garage.logical.net you should be able to see some pics. Drop me a line with some contact info and I’ll Give you my ph# if you have any other questions I can help with.
Rich

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Some parts in there look familiar: I'm happy to see they are going into a good use.

When I swapped the 1198 rear end into my 999 frame (similar to what you did) everything pretty much bolts up, but you will notice the tie rod is not plumb and could bind. To resolve you'll have to machine the rocker 6mm on one side and make a 6mm spacer for the other side. Mike Paschetto (I think that's his name...) from this forum did it for me but probably any machinist can do. You'll have to remove the needle bearing and replace it with a smaller one.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Was going to ask what link and ride height rod you're planning on running (good info from Zeta) and also steering angle/triples? Basically, your chassis setup.

Are you planning on running a 200 rear tire? Seems excessive for the amount of power/torque you'll be putting down plus just heavier and slower transitioning.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Was going to ask what link and ride height rod you're planning on running (good info from Zeta) and also steering angle/triples? Basically, your chassis setup.

Are you planning on running a 200 rear tire? Seems excessive for the amount of power/torque you'll be putting down plus just heavier and slower transitioning.
From my experience in putting an 1198 SSSA into a 999 frame with the exception of the modification to the rocker, everything else bolts right up just fine. With respect to the ride height rod I'm using the stock 1198 rod. However it has to be extended out from the 1198 settings or the rear will sit too low.

Those rods have the tendency to seize up quite nicely so my recommendation is to disassemble it and lube it before installing it or adjusting ride height could be difficult.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The plan is to run the forsaken motorsports rear link and the Sato ride height rod. The steering angle has been moved to the steeper 23.5 and plan to run adjustable offset triples or the fixed 30mm setup from motowheels. Don’t plan on running a 200 rear slick as it would unnecessary extra weight/too much tire.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some parts in there look familiar: I'm happy to see they are going into a good use.

When I swapped the 1198 rear end into my 999 frame (similar to what you did) everything pretty much bolts up, but you will notice the tie rod is not plumb and could bind. To resolve you'll have to machine the rocker 6mm on one side and make a 6mm spacer for the other side. Mike Paschetto (I think that's his name...) from this forum did it for me but probably any machinist can do. You'll have to remove the needle bearing and replace it with a smaller one.
I read mikes post about modifying the rocker so everything is plumb. Already have the new needle bearing and will machine the forsaken link when it arrives.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More parts have been coming in and was able to fit up the throttle bodies after taking out the one frame brace that interfered. The ECU/cluster/ignition/immobilizer antenna came in as well. Just waiting on a harness so I can start mocking/laying it out and strip the unnecessary wires down. Still not sure whether I’ll use a stock subframe or fabricate my own along with a lightweight fg seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to update, there has been a change in plans. I was able to find a 748 rolling frame from a fellow board member for a great price. It coincided with a trip up to NJ to visit family so picked it up and brought it back to the parents house to arrange shipping. It was delivered last week and got the bike into a roller. The rolling frame came with the tank, bodywork, mono subframe etc. Should make the build go much quicker and less piecing things together from eBay.

Simple plan is to revalve the forks with the k-tech ssrk I have, fresh seals and oil. For the rear shock, I’m planning on going with a Penske DA from gpsuspension. Other than that, it will be a basic build to get running and on the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Looking good sir. What was the reasoning behind switching to the 748 frame? Was it only so the 748 tank and rear subframe can just bolt on? Keep up the progress. This will be a lot of fun, no doubt.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking good sir. What was the reasoning behind switching to the 748 frame? Was it only so the 748 tank and rear subframe can just bolt on? Keep up the progress. This will be a lot of fun, no doubt.
Main reason was because I found the complete rolling frame for a great price. By the time I bought a mono subframe for the 999, tank, calipers, front fairing stay etc.. it would have double for what I paid for the rolling 748. Just was a quicker way to get the bike up and running. Doesn’t hurt I like the 748/916/996/998 the best.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the forks rebuilt with new skf seals, k-tech valving and motul oil. Also installed the gmd computrack adj triples set at 28mm. Started getting the wiring harness laid out for mock-up reasons and so far, everything seems to fit without much fiddling. Cut the airbox floor out to make room for the velocity stacks/filters as well. Hoping to find a detailed wiring diagram for the hyper 1100 evo so I can strip the unnecessary wires out.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Looking good! Are you certain those are GMD triples and not Podium Racing? My triples look identical and are podium racing except the eccentrics match the triples where yours are silver in color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looking good! Are you certain those are GMD triples and not Podium Racing? My triples look identical and are podium racing except the eccentrics match the triples where yours are silver in color.

They’re engraved GMD on the top. I’ve heard podium had GMD mfg them, hence the likeness.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a bit of an update on the build. Finally tackled the exhaust fabrication with the help of stock 996 components and stock 1100 headers. After some cutting and careful planning everything was finished welded and lambda bungs added for the o2 sensors.
The pipes were then sprayed in high heat ceramic black paint. The mufflers in the pic are off my 748R and just used them as mock-up until the titanium cans come in.

A new frame cross brace has been tack welded in place as well. The original brace was cut out due to the fitment of the throttle bodies.

Also got the oil cooler mounted and new lines made using Fragola PTFE lines. Really just need a new fuel level sensor for the tank before I can fire it up. Once that’s done, the bike will be torn down, frame cleaned up, resprayed and prepped for reassembly/safety wiring.

Jared

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Coming along nicely! Your 748R silencers have a different tip than the Termis on my 998. Is there something special about them?

Mine are normal rolled tips, yours are turned down and cut ends.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Coming along nicely! Your 748R silencers have a different tip than the Termis on my 998. Is there something special about them?

Mine are normal rolled tips, yours are turned down and cut ends.

Not sure they’re legit Termis. Whatever they are, they’re of good quality.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts