Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
looking for advice on an 03 S with an 05 engine.
The bike was running fine on a moderate and dry day, when it was reported to start misfiring and eventually dropped to 1 cylinder. It was limped home and now I'm digging through it and checking things off.
The first code was 10.2, horizontal coil shorted to earth (ground), so I pulled the coil, swapped it with a spare, and still no change. I pulled the plugs and the vertical one was a little oily, and the horizontal one was blackened, but fairly ok seeming. They are NGK Iridiums, with little mileage.

I moved the coil from the vertical cylinder to the horizontal and put the spare to the vertical, and cleaned the plugs up a little just with a cloth, so pretty minimal. It fired up and ran on both cylinders, but very quickly dropped the horizontal one again, and threw the 10.1 code (horizontal coil short to power supply).
So, it's a problem with the horizontal cylinder, exclusively, with no effects by coils, maybe... I have new plugs arriving tomorrow morning and will try those along with the current coil arrangement that it has.

Anything else it can be aside from plugs at this point? Wiring problem, ECU?

I have a Nemesis ECU hanging around, but it has a 1098 map loaded on it, so I'm not sure if that would even fire the bike...

Any help is mucho appreciated!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would try stock Champion plugs....the peeps that race/work on these things only use the stock plugs... its a cheap fix it if works.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already ordered the replacement plugs and they'll be in tomorrow, and I didn't even consider running stock ones. But, if I did, I probably could have gotten them today! :(

This is the 3rd xx9 bike I've run with the same NGK's without problems (except for this one) and one of the bikes has over 6k miles on the NGK's so far. I run them in everything I can now after I had bad experiences with standard plugs in my Agusta. The Iridiums made a noticeable difference in that bike.

If I do have fouling issues in the future, I'll give the Champions a shot and see if I notice a difference. I trust your advice on the input from racers though, I'm sure they'd work just fine if I hadn't ordered other ones.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Make sure all your grounds are free and clear? The wiring on the 999 honestly is probably one of the worst design aspects of the bike. Simple, but horrible.

Clean wires, make sure all connectors pins are where they need to be. But first I'd check the ecu ground and the case ground to cleanliness and connectivity.

What voltage are you running at?

After my overhaul it is running at a 14.3 - 14.4 for me. Was at 13.9 - 14.1 max.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Having issue's with the horizontal misfire seem to be a common occurence. Ducati had upgraded their coil design to a sealed version with the connector no longer at the stick coil but relocated where the front tire won't spray it with water and debris. I have an 03' also, changed the horz.cyl. to an 05'sealed coil and placed the connector behind the battery box. Check the connectors, give it a good cleaning with WD 40 and a small soft paint brush. See if that cures it.
FYI....it's my understanding that iridum plugs come "pre gapped". Checking the gap is OK provided you don't damaged the iridium electrode. If you start fussing with the plug, cleaning it, etc, it could damage the electrode causing it to break.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good advice, I'll check the grounds and the pins on the coil connector. The coil that was on it was an '05, oddly enough.
The voltage was about 13.9 on a battery that sits on a trickle charger whenever not in use... It might have hit 14.1 or so, but I'll check that when I put the new plugs in a see what happens.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, just put in a brand new coil and plug in the horizontal, and it didn't even try to fire that one.
So, I guess the next thing I'll try is an ecu/gauge/key set. I just bought another (but demolished) 999, so I can pull those pieces off of that bike and test, assuming they're good.

Oh yeah, I also checked the wires at the female end of the coil connector, the harness side, and they were in there pretty tight. I guess if the ecu doesn't show an improvement, maybe the wiring harness is next? I sure hope not...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well, just put in a brand new coil and plug in the horizontal, and it didn't even try to fire that one.
So, I guess the next thing I'll try is an ecu/gauge/key set. I just bought another (but demolished) 999, so I can pull those pieces off of that bike and test, assuming they're good.

Oh yeah, I also checked the wires at the female end of the coil connector, the harness side, and they were in there pretty tight. I guess if the ecu doesn't show an improvement, maybe the wiring harness is next? I sure hope not...
What do you have left over from the demolished 999? Where do you buy such a thing? How much did it run you?

Sorry for all the questions:eek:

·
Registered
124 Posts
So you have an 03 bike with an 05 engine? I bet that the original wiring harness from the 03 Engine was used, and the 05 coils were retro-fitted to the original wiring harness. The 05 coil as previously mentioned is hard wired into the stick coil and plugs into the wiring harness, where the 03 coils plugged in at the stick coil. If the 05 coils are being used currently with an 03 harness, then they plug(snap) together away from stick coil. However if the plug is against the engine, the vibration will cause the contacts to lose contact and create your problem. I know because this was my situation and have moved the plug from against the engine and away a few inches and all problems are gone. My recommendation is to unplug and replug and locate it away from the engine a few inches. The vibration of engine is the issue of the contacts.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ben,
It is an 03 that I've put an 05 engine in, with 05 coils, so they have a lead on them.
When I pull parts for testing this week, I'll have another update.

African,
I bought this particular one at Pick N Pull, a nationwide chain of junkyards that make you pull the parts off the cars yourself, for very low prices. They happened to buy this bike at auction and was the only bike they've ever bought. I can't tell you what I paid for the sake of other people's blood pressure, but I plan on rebuilding it. I've turned a heap of an 03 (not this current coil-problem one) into a pretty nice mild custom, and I hope to do the same with this one. I'm thinking I might put race bodywork on it with hidden headlights and keep it street legal. Who knows, maybe I'll build another streetfighter 999, I do have the parts laying around...

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After more diagnostics, I pulled the ecu/dash/ignition switch bits off of one my other 999s, and bam, fired right up and ran great.
Just ordered a new ECU from Gotham. Hopefully the fix will stick and this all helps someone else someday. Thanks guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts