Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So bike ran perfectly and just off a 600 mile trip. Made the mistake I believe in giving the bike a lite washing. Ran fine after wash and on a ride three days later then all of a sudden only running on one cylinder. No spark to front cylinder.... swapped coils and no change. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks

·
Registered
416 Posts
Did the plug foul? I just had this problem on a 999 and the problem stayed at the front cylinder, even with a brand new coil and plug. Turned out to be the ECU.

·
Registered
535 Posts
So bike ran perfectly and just off a 600 mile trip. Made the mistake I believe in giving the bike a lite washing. Ran fine after wash and on a ride three days later then all of a sudden only running on one cylinder. No spark to front cylinder.... swapped coils and no change. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks
Take left side fairing off, and locate the crackshaft sensor.
It is located in front of the waterpump.
There is a large, coiled electric cable connected to it, which has a connector before it goes into the cable-loom.
Open that connector, 95% chance there is your problem.
Clean it out, put a dab of electric connection grease on it, and you might be good to go.

E.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the plug foul? I just had this problem on a 999 and the problem stayed at the front cylinder, even with a brand new coil and plug. Turned out to be the ECU.
Didn't pull the plug, just used another plug and there is no spark when grounding it. Hopefully not the ECU.... but that will be next thing to check I guess. Thanks

Take left side fairing off, and locate the crackshaft sensor.
It is located in front of the waterpump.
There is a large, coiled electric cable connected to it, which has a connector before it goes into the cable-loom.
Open that connector, 95% chance there is your problem.
Clean it out, put a dab of electric connection grease on it, and you might be good to go.

E.
I will take a look at this today. Appreciate the tip and hopefully it is as easy as this. Will keep you posted and thanks for the information.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I checked the Crank Sensor plug and all looked good. Took it apart and all was clean and no moisture. Still no spark.... I am out of things to check.

·
Registered
2001 ST4, 2002 M750S, 2008 848
264 Posts
check the connection between the ECU and the harness and look for moisture, corrosion etc... If there's nothing there it very well may be that your ECU has seen it's last day...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked the ECU connection and all is good. Bet the ECU la toast.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it turned out to be a bad ecu... the dealer had a used ecu that he reflashed with a performance tune for the Remus half system that is on the bike. What a difference! The bike has so much more power.... I thought this entire time the bike had a tune in it but apparently the previous owner just put the pipes on.

I have a question though. Is the 5.9 ECU the same for a 998 and 999? The dealer said the one he used was from a 999 but he would make it work. It does work great just curious.
Thanks

·
Registered
572 Posts
When a 5.9 ecu is diagnosed "bad", is there a way to investigate it in order to see what is wrong precisely?

In a shorter way: is there a diagnostic tool?

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have a question though. Is the 5.9 ECU the same for a 998 and 999? The dealer said the one he used was from a 999 but he would make it work. It does work great just curious.
Thanks

From what I am led to believe from guys that know here is that any 59M ECU that has the same HW code as your original is fine.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Well it turned out to be a bad ecu... the dealer had a used ecu that he reflashed with a performance tune for the Remus half system that is on the bike. What a difference! The bike has so much more power.... I thought this entire time the bike had a tune in it but apparently the previous owner just put the pipes on.

Thanks
AFAIK all 59m ECU:s are interchangable. I have a 996R ECU in my monster S4. 5AM is a bit different.

Jocke..........

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AFAIK all 59m ECU:s are interchangable. I have a 996R ECU in my monster S4. 5AM is a bit different.

Jocke..........
Are you speaking of the map being different or the ECU physically being different. What I am looking to do is get another used one on eBay and have it flashed as a spare.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Every engine configuration has a different fuel map according to its fueling needs for optimum performance. Different cams, injector set-ups, engine breathing etc dictate the appropriate fuel map. From what i have been able to learn from those who flash ECU's, whether it be a custom, DP or OEM map to be flashed to an ECU that the HW code on the ECU needs to be the same as the OEM one for your bike. eg: my ECU is a 59M with the 010 HW code and a 59M with a 610HW code will not work for my bike or is more work to change it to the correct HW code or adapt. I'm guessing it's something like a computer OS. If this is all correct then you will need to find an ECU with HW code matching your stock one which can then be flashed with the desired map.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
I've only seen just one HW number on 59M and its 010, that is what you need to look for, peal the top sticker and on the bottom sticker the HW number is usually printed, but not always, that would make it too easy, after all its italian stuff :)
(5AM most commonly have HW number 610 but occasionally 103 aswell.)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Widewalker.... great info. My old ECU was a 010. Interestingly enough it say its for a 999. I guess the FE 998 being a 2004 they must have been using the 999 ECU.... or it was not the original ECU. The mystery continues... thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts