Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fed up with always worrying about wether or not my bike will start or not.

It lives on a quality trickle charger, and every time I attempt to start it, it turns over like a champ, fires and fails
Second attempt is nothing, like it's between gears or something, third attempt is laboured and needs some prays said.

It is as if the battery is not enough or poorly lacking. I have replaced the battery and the leads have been updated to Moto Electric or similar.

I also installed the newer shower type injectors, with a view to less flooding and easier starting. They are great, but no improvement in the starting area.

The other day it failed to start, and I heard relays fluttering and I pressed on all of them to check, one moved a mil or two and the dam thing started.

So my feeling is, the relays need replacing, renewing with something better. Is this the answer or am I missing something?

Craig

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like you're down to clutching at any straw you can find.

has the tps and idle mixture been done? are you using the fast idle lever?
Pretty much Brad.

Cam timing etc was done by Desmo Headquarters. All good.
Starter clutch etc done by Harvey Morris, along with new cables and injectors.
New battery in the mix too.

TPS I am not sure about, but would assume competent people as these would have?
I use the fast idle lever, only after it runs?

What next?

Craig

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Pretty much Brad.

Cam timing etc was done by Desmo Headquarters. All good.
Starter clutch etc done by Harvey Morris, along with new cables and injectors.
New battery in the mix too.

TPS I am not sure about, but would assume competent people as these would have?

What next?

Craig
Burn it.:)

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I can't see slow cranking has anything to do with relays, injectors or TPS. Try jumper leads from a GOOD known battery directly to the starter motor and earth and see how it crank if it's slow it's the starter or sprag which I know you said has been replaced. If it cranks good then try connecting the positive from the jumper pack to the battery end of the starter solenoid and hit the key. If it cranks good then the solenoid is good. Then jump it from your bikes battery leads and if it's slow then it points to the sprag. If you can't figure it out by then, then my best advice was in my last post>:)

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
A video would, to me, clear up what I am attempting to diagnose.

In the end, I believe the brushes on the starter are worn down. Soon, the bike will, w/out warning, not start. Then you will test stuff, knock your head, then check the starter and realize that was the problem all along.

I just recently took mine starter apart for symptoms near identical to what you are describing. I cleaned the starter and replaced the brushes with a $6 set that I acquired from an autoparts store. Modification of the brushes with a Dremmel was required, but ultimately it was a fun time and revealed to me the primary cause of failure in a starter and sluggish starts even on a winded battery.

I waited longer than you did to resolve the problem and it wasn't until the engine could not turn over that I checked the starter. I couldn't even push start The Time Machine once the brushes failed b/c one of the two had come out of its fitting and locked up the armature which locked up the starting gears, etc., rear wheel.

You can check the brushes w/out removing the starter, but it won't be easy if you have not been in there before.

Or, you need to adjust the gap on the spark plugs b/c are now too big.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Not sure what you're saying here since you have a question mark. I always use the fast idle lever when starting on my 748. I used to have to hold the throttle slightly open beyond the fast idle when cranking to get more fuel in there. Then once it fired and died, I would leave it on fast idle and it would start on the next crank. After I retuned it, it starts much better but I still start it on fast idle. Of course this is assuming everything else is working right.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Is the engine just not turning over the 2nd and 3rd time you try it? have you changed the starter solenoid? its not an uncommon failure on these bikes, and I have seen solenoids act like this when starting to fail.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Had similar issues with my 998.
Changed the ecu out to a nemesis.

A lot better starting.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
To all readers. He is having cranking issues, not fuel or ignition problems.
Then to all xracer, I stand by what I said in my post! (emo-icon here)

For crying out loud, try helping the guy out. You have some grasp on how motorbikes work.

It's his starter.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
You have to find out what works for your bike. When I got my current bike, the first Ducati for me, I had a lot of starting problems for a few weeks. Then I started playing with the fast idle, whatever you want to call it. I found that setting it at a position that results in a 2300-2500 rpm idle after starting results in about a 1 to 1.5 second crank and robust start, every single time. I love starting it because it starts so well. Once it's warm, I don't use it at all. Once I was at a friends house up in the hills and it started to snow. We had been working in his shop all day on one of his track cars. When I went out to start it with no fast idle, it started and stalled. Set the fast idle to normal cold position. Started right up like normal. That gave me a time frame for how long it took to get cold again.

BTW, I always turn the key on and wait for the fuel pump to turn off before cranking. That's because I have watched the fuel pressure gauge in my Honda Vtec Mini track day car and the Honda is one of the cars that pressurizes the fuels system and turns off like the Ducati.

Also, BTW, I don't have the problem any more but it it doesn't start, I would cycle the key again because the fuel pump is not going to turn on again until the engine fires, Also, the ECU will time out and prevent starting after something like 15 seconds of not starting.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
No need for violence Jonathan:). We are on the same page. I spoke to Craig the other day and told him it could be the starter motor and how to diagnose the problem. And how to diagnose other possible cranking issues.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I am both very violent and very serious. Please don't profile me on a first name basis. It makes me violent.

And let us know the final solution, OP.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Damn. Here's me thinking we had a special relationship.
There you go ******* up my genuine post! WTF.

Get a room, *******

Geeze, I was only talking about my girlfriend. The bitch that she is! No need to switch teams boys!

Craig >:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts