Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I share my time between Hawaii and the Philippines. Recently I found a Euro 998s Bostrom #142/155 in Manila and had to make it the 5th Ducati I have owned after not having one for 2 years. I have bought aftermarket bodywork online and tank from a member here(thanks Mike) so I can ride it how it should be ridden without worrying about bodywork made from unobtanium. All great so far. Now the problem. The bike has been "cared" for by the authorized Ducati dealer for the PI and was serviced shortly before my purchase. I take delivery and set about pulling it to pieces to check everything out, belts, oil change, change fluids, plugs, tyres, check the clutch, grease everything etc. Upon inspection, I am far from confident of the dealers ability to maintain, let alone tune, this bike. Some bolts missing, some replaced with something found in the "bolts tin", both swingarm chain guides missing, 8000klm/10 years old and no belt change. Etc. I'm happy to do and an capable of doing most wrenching but I have no diagnostic equipment or tuning knowhow. The bike is hard to start and coughs and farts very occasionally through the intakes and backfires on deceleration but apart from that performs very well. There are guys here with huge experience and knowledge of these bikes, what should I do? Should I install a power commander or a flashed ECU or an aftermarket high performance one? A stand alone programmable one? Euro 998s/996r motor with 50mm Termi system. Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
A bike that rare is not what I would want to be cutting my teeth on with regards to desmodromic maintenance, but if you have no options then the decision is pretty much made for you.

With regards to the backfiring, if a previous owner had installed 50's without getting a remapped ECU then you are probably seeing the result of a combination of lowered backpressure and an excess of unburned fuel. I would definitely get the ECU taken care of pronto.

Any way you can get her shipped to Hawaii? Must be at least one reputable dealer there...

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have 2 998S's, of which one is a Bayliss, and the other a standard.
They are both EU versions, with the deep sum.

I guess here in China I am in a kind of same situation as you in Manila.
Up until recently we did not have a Ducati dealer at all.
The one we have now, knows how to keep the bikes in the showroom shiny, but that is about it.
Consequently I do all work myself.

2 years ago my Bayliss started to run worse and worse, till action was needed.

After doing the valve settings and new belts, I bought a VDST, as well as a Gunson exhaust tester.
I already had balancing gauges.

With that, I went the full monthy, starting with the calibration of the TPS, then the balancing, the idle setting, all combined with the CO setting / trimmer.
It took my a bit of work, and I actually did it again after a week of thinking, but I should say the bike runs absolutely perfect after all work.
It has a rock solid idle, pulls much better then before, does not sneeze or backfire, and starts at the first push.

Whatever you want to do afterwards (like a PC or other ECU), I can only advise you to first get the basis right.
If you do that very well, I doubt you feel the need to go any further.

E.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts