Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just purchased an 02 998S Bostrom and I have a question regarding the fairings. Mine has 2pc side fairings, but I have read that the Bostrom got 1pc carbon side fairings? Upon doing some searching I have seen the bikes both ways but mostly 1pc. What is the deal? Pic of my bike below.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Is your bike a US or RoW bike?

It’s an important distinction. US bikes didn’t get the S motor so to make up for it, we got the carbon fairings. I seem to remember their being ONLY 1 piece. If you have a European or RoW bike, you would have gotten the plastic fairings (2 piece) and the S motor.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Wowsa, great looking bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Is your bike a US or RoW bike?

It’s an important distinction. US bikes didn’t get the S motor so to make up for it, we got the carbon fairings. I seem to remember their being ONLY 1 piece. If you have a European or RoW bike, you would have gotten the plastic fairings (2 piece) and the S motor.
The Seller and I are both under the impression it is a US bike, but I'm concerned now that the bike has split side fairings that are plastic. The front fender also does not have carbon on the bottom section like other bikes I have seen, it's painted all the way. However, I have seen that the ROW versions do not have a signed tank, which this bike does... Is there a way to look at the engine and tell if it is an S or not? I assume the bike is a real Bostrom, but now I'm wondering if it's a US bike with UK fairings or a UK bike... OD and Speedo are in miles...

Evan

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
I’ve repaired three Bostroms over the years. All imports (to Australia) and all with standard plastic fairings.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Is there a way to look at the engine and tell if it is an S or not?
There’s no reason to guess: what does the VIN say it is? That will tell you if it’s a US or RoW bike. The engine also has a number on the side of the case as well that should indicate but of the three main differences that I remember was that it was supposed to have a deep sump motor. So the easiest would be just to look for that.

A US bike with plastic fairings would be unusual as it would be a “worst of both worlds” kind of scenario which Ducati was trying extra hard to avoid.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Have a look at bottom of engine....or post a pic of sump with fairings off. The standard 998 (124Hp) is flat across the bottom. The deep sump (136hp) has a upside down triangle shape on bottom....refer pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Oh....and yes as above the US Bayliss/Bostrom bikes got carbon fairings to make up for the lower hp engine. Lovely looking bike you have got.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts