Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After having my bike for 1 1/2 year, I am ready to spend some money for maintenance and upgrading:

1. Adjusting valves as specially the exhaust valves are out of spec. I guess I will need some advise on that but will open an other thread on that one,

2. Re-painting both rims as the top layer is pretty damaged. I also don't like the light grey color of the standard bike,

3. Re-paint some other parts to match the look of the wheels,

4. Upgrade of the fork to radial brakes, as my present fork is one of the non-original parts on this Bayliss.

5. A second set of Chinese fairings for the track-days of next year.

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
These rims have always bothered me. First, I don't really like the color, and besides of that, they were damaged from debris, from the paddock stand, and from polishing.
preparing them was not that much work other then some sanding, fill-up the deep scratches, and protecting the inner works by means of tape.

I considered to have them powder coated, but all powder coated wheels I have seen done here in China are bad quality. So I decided to spray them instead, which I can do myself.

I decided to go for a medium dark grey metallic color, which matches the shiny grey of carbon better then black.

The front came out perfect (just waiting for the new forks & brakes & rotors and some fancy new Marchesini rim-stickers), the rear needs to be done one more time if the present cold front has passed.

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now in the process of prepping and painting several small parts of the bike.

I run a open CF clutch cover on the road, but for the track I prefer a bit stronger piece.
I decided to open up the standard clutch cover a la SBK style.
Painted it in the same gray metallic color as the rims.

Same story for the belt covers. I hate the look of the light grey standard ones, but do not really see the need to change them to CF (not yet at least).
Painted them and they look a different world.

Just considering on the air intakes now, either buy some CF ones, or paint them as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a very nice track-day on the local Shanghai International Circuit I decided to track the Duc a bit more often next year.
However, an extra set of cheapo fairings and some sliders is always helpful for a peaceful mind.

Thought about buying some carbon 998 fairings here in China, but decided that I like the Bayliss replica too much.
So decided to buy a 996 set from the main supplier on e-bay, located in Hong Kong but made in China.

After much correspondence, they agreed on a full race-version with closed upper fairing, closed seat cowl, and closed side fairings.
As I am in China, they further agreed on supplying me the fairings twice, first in primer, then later fully painted.
This allows me to modify the fairings to fit my bike, to cut the bottom out for my belly pan, and to do all other necessary work.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Looks like you got quite a project, good luck! I ordered a nose fairing from China (Fila replica) for my 999 and I think my grandmother could have molded a better fairing. What a waste. I just threw it in the garbage last weekend. Waste of my $140 =(

Chris

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like you got quite a project, good luck! I ordered a nose fairing from China (Fila replica) for my 999 and I think my grandmother could have molded a better fairing. What a waste. I just threw it in the garbage last weekend. Waste of my $140 =(
Chris
Well, I make a living from purchasing and manufacturing in China for European customers, and "upgrading" Chinese products to acceptable levels.
After 15 years I can kind of predict what to get for my money (although Chinese suppliers still can surprise me sometimes...).
That why I went for this "2-stage" approach.

I do agree on your remark on quality for these fairings.
The good thing is that the side fairings are quite thick (for track use at least), the bad thing of course the fitting.
I have cut and changed so much yesterday that I can not really imagine that people who buy these fairings painted can get them fit without an impact on the look.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Started to make the fairings to fit the belly pan.
First cut off the lower part by following the curve, then slowly worked my way up to get the correct curve and fitting.

Still need to do some final work on removing material of the panel, but it came out better then expected.

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Progressed work with the front fender. nothing much more to do then remove material from the inside to make space for the rotors, and have everything parallel.

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also tried to make the front piece of the lower fairing to work, but finally decided to trash it.

It is too thin, out of shape, and flexes after I removed a part of the oil cooler tunnel.

Will keep my carbon fairing piece instead, as it supports the fairings much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finished the fairings today by removing the final parts out of the side fairings, and by fitting everything a last time.
They go back to the supplier now for a final treatment, then painting, decals and clear coat.

I should say that so far I am not unhappy.
By removing some material, it seems the panels are a bit more flexible, therefore fitting better.
There is still some stress to "reach" each other, but as it is ABS, I think it will become better over time, and after getting hot from the engine and sunshine.

Most of the pre-drilled holes are however wrong, and I will ask them to close them before painting. will drill them again if I receive the fairings back.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good sharing and please keep posting!
Looking forward to see the final outcome!
When will you come to Taipei?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good sharing and please keep posting!
Looking forward to see the final outcome!
When will you come to Taipei?:rolleyes:

He Kuan,

Good to hear from you! I actually called u twice during this summer but no reply. Am I having your correct mobile? Still want to see your collection of Ducati's :D.

Actually was about to buy a BMW 650 last summer, and as I know you have / had one, was wondering on your advise as well. Let is pass though, still only a bicycle there haha.

Will be in TW the first 2 weeks of December, if you email or PM me your number again? Will surely visit you this time if you are around.

Eric

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Waiting....

Nothing much I can do this week.
Cleaned and re-painted about everything I could, now waiting for Santa to pass by my house:

- 848 fork and brakes from one of the members,
- Full floating rotors (to be used with my original wheel - bought from Motoparts),
- Valve shim measuring tool (from EMS),
- F&R axle- and clip-on sliders,
- 2nd saddle for the race fairing set,
- Misc. parts for the maintenance.

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Normally if you read on buying / selling on this forum, it is when deals go sour.

This time just some positive news: Bought a 848 front from one of the members on this forum. Didn't know him, had no reference on him, and he was 8000 km away from me.

Still, worked perfect, he arranged safe packaging and shipment after I paid him, and this morning everything arrived without a glitch.
John, thanks!

Eric

1 - 20 of 36 Posts