Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a delema that perhaps you guys can help me with.

I have a bit of extra cash and am looking to make an investment in a new (to me) bike. I usually purchase bikes new, ride the piss out of them and trade them in for something better down the road. However, this purchase will be different. I'm buying this next bike more as a living room sculpture, and hopefully something that will appreciate in value (or at least not loose too much value) over the next several years.

My Current choices are: (purchase prices are comparable)
1. 2002 998S Bayliss replica #378 with, forged magnesium rims and swing arm. This bike also has a 996R engine, among other things. 2044 mi on the clock.

2. 2006 999R Xerox #49 totally stock with 600 mi on the clock.

Since I don't plan to ride either bike very much, which do you believe has greater upside potential in the coming years?

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
ahhh can you buy both!!!!!!!! LOL
really its a difficult choice.....I might go for the 999xerox just cause its seems there are so few around. I was never into the 999 serious, but in person, the xerox is crazy nice....
:D

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would go for Bayliss!
1. 998 design is pure clasic
2. As far as I know more xeroxes were made than Bayliss
3. Do you want to have a copymachine advertisment in your room?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your talking about the one over at PI, I've seen it many times and its pretty... Though its something somebody built from scratch, buying 998 Bayliss bodywork.
Tye:
Your right that the 998 over at PI has been heavily modified, though I was under the impression that it originally started out as a Bayliss. In addition to the body work the bike also has the #378 or 379/400 on the triple camp. I would also expect to receive the certificate that comes with the "genuine 998 Bayliss replicas". However, if your right and it's someones attempt to build up a fake Bayliss then there is no way in hell I'll buy it.

Thanks for the heads up...

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
If you are looking for a bike to appreciate, it has to have the pedigree, and it has to be original. Or at least be easily made original. A Bayliss with a different engine and alot of aftermarket bling won't be a good investment. It could be a fun ride though, depends on what you want.

For the best superbike investment, post 1993, get a clean original documented 916sps. You can find one for less than $10k, which is less than half what it cost new. Alot of room for appreciation, and very under-valued. Superlights sell for roughly what they cost new, and are more plentiful. I don't mean production numbers, I mean bikes left and stock. Alot of the superbikes were race casualties.
A 996R would be cool too. As would a 998 FE.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
I've seen that Bayliss Replica many times and I don't think it's how Tye characterizes it. I believe it to be real (as opposed to "built up from scratch" as if it wasn't I don't think PI would have it on their floor and listed as they do. What I do know is that it's been heavily modified which some collectors may not want, hence the amount of time that it has remain unsold. It also carries a fancy price tag which might dissuade some as well.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Look at the Xerox up close - I mean really look at it. Sidestand, triple clamp, carbon one-piece side panel, sandcase case, etc. Then go look at anything else.:sleep:

If you want real eye candy - MV F4 Tamburini.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I've seen that Bayliss Replica many times and I don't think it's how Tye characterizes it. I believe it to be real (as opposed to "built up from scratch" as if it wasn't I don't think PI would have it on their floor and listed as they do. What I do know is that it's been heavily modified which some collectors may not want, hence the amount of time that it has remain unsold. It also carries a fancy price tag which might dissuade some as well.
I have friends over there and they said it was a custom built 996R with bayliss parts on it. Its a gorgeous bike, I'd buy it in a heart beat, but it ISN'T a 998S, which is what the Bayliss bikes are. IDK about the certificate, it might have one, you should ask.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Take ard look at the 2004 999r Fila. Only 70 imported and 200 built. They are beutiful in person. Actually stunning....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does the Bayliss have the signed tank?
Yes, the Bayliss has the signed tank. Though I don't think that means much. As far as insuring that it's genuine, I'll ask to see the Certificate and the pink slip. Both should indicate "998S Bayliss", if not, then Tye is correct about the bike being a built up 996R. Even so, it's a sexy bitch, but probably not worth the $$ they're asking.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
if its not obvious to you when your standing in front of them ,i'd keep looking.the way the market is, and will be means you should be buying cause your in love with it .the finacial reward will likely be minimal sitting on either for 10-15 years.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
It started as a Bayliss and was then modified to it's present state. The 996r motor was dropped in and the +1" magnesium swingarm was added. I think it may also have lighter wheels.

Hell the swingarm alone was like 5k. BUT, it's no longer original. Is it better or worse, I couldn't tell you.

EDIT: people, you need to learn how to ATTACH pictures instead of IMBEDDING HUGE f'ing images that require scrolling all over the place to read posts.

·
Registered
227 Posts
damn....you guys just made me feel bad about my 999r xerox....I would say none...bikes are a bad investement period. I got my 999r xerox for 15K and 1100 miles, some dude got it for 32K+ at some point in time.

You buy this machine because you like them and they feel good.....don't buy them because it is an investment if you do that you will be very disappointed!!

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Yes, the Bayliss has the signed tank. Though I don't think that means much. As far as insuring that it's genuine, I'll ask to see the Certificate and the pink slip. Both should indicate "998S Bayliss", if not, then Tye is correct about the bike being a built up 996R. Even so, it's a sexy bitch, but probably not worth the $$ they're asking.

My assumption is that Troy Bayliss signed only 400 tanks, if Ducati is to believed. So, either it is an original Bayliss 998 or someone has taken an original Bayliss signed tank and put it on the bike. I think the latter is unlikely. That's the assumption I make. FWIW, wouldn't the VIN # tell you something?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts