Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of you guys are tired of my posts on the forum looking for a 998R for sale. Well I thought I had found one in decent shape for a decent price. I have been talking to this guy Jason in New York City about the 998R that is currently listed on Cycle Trader and Walneck's for $22,500. He sent me a bunch of pics of the bike a month ago and I was a little turned off by the rusty chain and dirty state of the bike. I told him I was definitely in the market to buy a 998R and I was ready to go on the deal if he could come down on the price. He told me he had a couple guys interested in the bike so he was pretty set on getting $20,500. I told the guy to let me know if things didn't work out. He sent me an email about a week later and we agreed on a price........keep in mind I've talked to the guy about 9 times on the phone and we've emailed each other a total of about 25 times over the last 3 weeks! I've asked the guy every question you would ask a guy if you were about to throw down on a $20,000 motorcycle. The guy has told me it's a Euro spec, 2001 998R that doesn't have the badge on the triples because it was designated for a race team, it came from the factory with the light kit on it, it has a clear street title.......blah,blah,blah. The guy gave me his work info, his home address and number, his parents address where the bike is(he lives in Manhattan),etc.....I've checked him out and everything seemed legit except for a couple small details on the bike. The guy works for a major brokerage firm and seems like a pretty good guy overall. I was about an hour from Fed Ex-ing a deposit to the guy today so I thought I'd give Jeff at AMS a quick call about the bike and see what he might think about the deal. He seems like a pretty good guy with a wealth of knowledge on these bikes. He checked out the VIN# against some bikes he's sold and informed me that his feeling was this could be a 996R possibly with 998R body work on it!! :eek: After getting off the phone with Jeff I called up to Gold Coast Motorsports where the bike was purchased and serviced. I talked to the manager and asked him if he knew of the bike owned by Jason L***. He said yes and I told him I was thinking about buying the bike from him and wanted to know what model bike it was....the guy said "You should have the numbers on it if your looking to buy it right?". I said he has it listed as a 2001 998R and I'm calling to make sure that's what it is. Dude then says "The computer is shut down and the girl that could look it up is gone. She could look it up tomorrow." I then informed the guy that I was about the send a deposit for this "998R" that he purchased from this dealership and I REALLY need to know..........after holding for a while the guy comes back to the phone and says " Yeah, that bike is a 2001 996R! :eek: but he may not know that it's not a 998R because it does have a 998 engine....(to be honest, he may have said a 998R engine.I don't remember EXACTLY)"..........SOMEBODY put 998R body work on it!?! He bought it new from them so I would say either Jason or they put that fairing on the bike. I'm at a loss. I have mixed emotions right now........part of me is glad I didn't shoot a $1000 deposit to the guy for the bike............and part of me WISHES I had sent the deposit and bought the ticket to go get it, and set up the shipping and taken off work to make this thing happen.......let's just say, when I got there and realized it was a 996R, this whole tranaction would not have gone well for Jason. I just wanted to post this up for anybody who might be thinking about buying that bike. I'm not trying to give anybody a bad name or piss anybody off. I just wanted to hear what anybody with an opinion on the situation had to say about it. Who knows.......maybe somebody will tell me that there was a SPECIAL edition 996R that came from the factory with 998R body work on it??

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm going entirely off memory here, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. In 2001, the bike would have been a 996R. The 998's didn't come out until 2002. However, the R model of the 996 in 2001 did receive the upcoming 998 motor. So, simply by looking at the VIN number, a dealer should be able to tell you the model year and probably manufacture date. I assume that's what Nash did and why he said that it looks to be a 2001 996R. Only caveat to the above statements is that sometimes those crazy Italians have been known not to do whole model year runs and start things early or late if that is what happens to be on the shelf that day. So, theoretically, a bike manufactured very late in 2001 could possibly have started getting a few 2002 parts. Still, I'd be leary of a 2001 996R that has 2002/03 998R bodywork. It would first peak my curiousity as to why bodywork was replaced (crash?). Then I would be concerned that, as a limited collector's bike, I would want it as absolutely original as possible. That said, the owner may not be shady at all. Would be worth confirming with him exactly what he said it was and is and then making your decision...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Smells a little fishy to me... and, if you are having second thoughts it is better to walk away and regret not getting it than getting it and then be pissed at the the bike and yourself for spending all that money on a bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts