Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I have a 996R with fewer miles than that on it (well, one fewer mile anyway). It sits in my office and I stare at it lovingly. I have lots of other awesome Ducatis to ride. There's something about looking at an extremely special motorcycle that is exactly as it was when it rolled out of the factory 17 years ago. It never ceases to make me smile.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That’s amazing! I completely understand people doing this with these bikes. I’d love to have a 998 FE with no miles however I’m starting to understand to enjoy my vehicles over saving them for the next person who will.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I have a 996R with fewer miles than that on it (well, one fewer mile anyway). It sits in my office and I stare at it lovingly. I have lots of other awesome Ducatis to ride. There's something about looking at an extremely special motorcycle that is exactly as it was when it rolled out of the factory 17 years ago. It never ceases to make me smile.

Wow! Beautiful! You even still have the safety sticker on the tank.

Reactions: Sherpa23F

·
Registered
51 Posts

Beautiful bike. Do you ever sit on it and make vroom vroom noises?

I have 18,000miles on my 998FE and love the bike as long as I'm not riding it in the city. It gets real hot real fast when not moving.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Wow! Beautiful! You even still have the safety sticker on the tank.
Thanks. I bought it from a great member on here and I can't express how awesome it is to have something like this. It's like a piece of history and artwork all wrapped up in one: THE bike that homologated the Testastretta motor and the slab sided carbon bodywork for WSBK. Near the bike, I have a signed photo of Troy Bayliss racing the WSB version that year. It's pretty cool to see.

Reactions: Micah.Berry

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Wow Never Licensed.
Super "meh"--wouldn't buy it at half that price. The US version was just a regular 998 with some jewelry. At least these days with the Panigale (V2) Final Edition it's a real-deal R.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I couldn't agree more... they are MEANT to be ridden. Bit like being married to the most beautiful girl in the world but not sleeping with her.

I love riding my newly acquired 998S FE. Has around 23000 kms on it and plan on doing many more. Us guys in the southern hemisphere get the deep sump motor too :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Well, I have 7 SP and R bikes (I consider the Superleggera one of those, too). Other than the 996R they all get ridden a lot and I do take a couple to the track. Sometimes, I just wish I could spend more time in my garage looking at them because they're so amazing. But my garage is full and when I'm at home, I can't any work done in there so this is a great way to have my cake and eat it too.

Everyone can have their opinion but there's no singular right way to enjoy a motorcycle. The fact that I use one of the seven in a different way and that's the way I choose to enjoy it does nothing to diminish this bike, my love of riding the other bikes, or what the future holds for this bike. When I die if my kids want to take it Boulder Motorsports and have them prep it so my kids take it to the track for track days along with all of my other bikes, good on them.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Well, I have 7 SP and R bikes (I consider the Superleggera one of those, too). Other than the 996R they all get ridden a lot and I do take a couple to the track. Sometimes, I just wish I could spend more time in my garage looking at them because they're so amazing. But my garage is full and when I'm at home, I can't any work done in there so this is a great way to have my cake and eat it too.

Everyone can have their opinion but there's no singular right way to enjoy a motorcycle. The fact that I use one of the seven in a different way and that's the way I choose to enjoy it does nothing to diminish this bike, my love of riding the other bikes, or what the future holds for this bike. When I die if my kids want to take it Boulder Motorsports and have them prep it so my kids take it to the track for track days along with all of my other bikes, good on them.
So it’s like you have seven supermodels, 6 in bed with you and 1 in the kitchen permanently satisfying a different need.
I get that! ??
(No chauvinistic values intended my fellow feminists;))

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
So it’s like you have seven supermodels, 6 in bed with you and 1 in the kitchen permanently satisfying a different need.
I get that! ??
(No chauvinistic values intended my fellow feminists;))
I might have to make that my signature...

:D :D :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love reading about bikes like this 998. I lusted after a Superbike for years and finally got a 2002 yellow 998 biposto from WA last year, and even though I only got out on it half a dozen times this year I too am one of those guys who can just go downstairs in the garage with a martini, sit, and stare at it. Yes it seems criminal to see bikes, and cars, sit with low miles and not rode/driven, but if any of us had a Renoir, Monet, a box of gold bars, or yes even a supermodel, do they have to be taken outside to be enjoyed? Now if I had a supermodel and classic along with the gold bars sitting on my bike in the garage........well, use your imagination........

Attachments

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
OMG! Filthy! Just filthy!

But the lever does need to be adjusted properly. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 27 Posts