Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '02 998 with 50mm Arrow Carbon slip-ons. I'm not happy with the tone and the volume of my exhaust. It doesn't seem to "roar" like I remember my 748 with Leo Vinci's did (although it may be just a whimsical memory).....

Is there another exhaust out there which will give me an "insanely" loud baritone? If so, what brand, where can I find one? I understand that this era exhaust may be hard to find.

I already have tinnitus so, bring on the decibels!!!!

Please advise.
Tony

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
So you have to inflict the rest of us with a painfully loud bike because of your pleasure. Why do you think there are laws for this?

·
Registered
266 Posts
You can screw the exhaust off the heads and leave it complitely off the bike. Saves weight and should have some noise.

Or you could use that one from picture. I think its Yoshi-noni. Very rare.

Attachments

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have GPR Deep Tones on my 996 and that are definitely more throaty. Had FBF Carbon slip on's before...my brother has Termis on his 996 and the GPR pipes are double the sound output of either one......

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
intersting.

My 996 had Arrow 45mm slip on and it was the perfect sound for me. A friend of mine had cheaper slipon and the sound was completely different; arrow being much "deeper" tone.

No idea about the 998

It's a different motor the 998 does doesn't have the thump my 999R sounds like bees pashing my 996 SPS sounds like hippos humping
Both have the race pipes it's just how it is my friend

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hey Thumer

What does GPR stand for?
Don't know besides its the name of the Itialian company that makes them...see them eBay or on Google. They have npbeen around and sponsored some WSB riders.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I have an '02 998 with 50mm Arrow Carbon slip-ons. I'm not happy with the tone and the volume of my exhaust. It doesn't seem to "roar" like I remember my 748 with Leo Vinci's did (although it may be just a whimsical memory).....

Is there another exhaust out there which will give me an "insanely" loud baritone? If so, what brand, where can I find one? I understand that this era exhaust may be hard to find.

I already have tinnitus so, bring on the decibels!!!!

Please advise.
Tony

You can dis-assemble the cans and wrap part of the inner perforated pipe with this; THERMO-TEC Exhaust Insulating Wrap: Copper 1 inch
The more you wrap the louder it gets. It is reversible - just remove it if you don't like it.

-M

·
Registered
865 Posts
Core a set of stock 996 cans, install the end caps but leave tha cans empty.
The noise will break your ear drums

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Anybody ever see that youtube clip of that naked, yellow, 748 racebike going for a boot around the block for what seems like a quick shakedown to see that everything is tickity boo?
Anyways, that bike is the most beastly, nasty sounding Duc, bike in general, that i think i've ever heard, its just insane! I have no idea what pipes its running but if you want loud n nasty those are the ones you want!
If i wasn't on an ipad right now i'd try n find the clip and embed it here to be somewhat helpful

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I've seen that video and that sound isn't made by the exhaust alone. It's a high compression motor with other modifications that produce that sound.
https://youtu.be/8ZQgNZ3gBmM
Yeah, that makes sense, but my 996 is only some head work away from having pretty much everything a road going desmoquattro would have done, it breathes through 54mm Arrows, and it doesn't sound near as nasty as that bike in that clip!
And I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. I mean that beastly sounding bike in that clip sounds great to me, but i'm fairly certain it would piss off 99% of anyone else who might here it. I'm all for solidly audible bikes, but the really loud ones just piss people off and that ain't good!
Good find btw Secret Squirrel, and thanks for posting.

·
Registered
865 Posts
That You Tube clip ( One Loud Ducati) was shot in London Ontario in 2003 and it is my brother Steve and his 2001 748/853. Other than the Pistal 853 kit the motor is stock
The exhaust is a cored 50mm slipon from Paul Hewitts 748R, It is completly empty, no baffles of any kind
The young lady is Kate and her hubby Jeff was the camera man

1 - 17 of 17 Posts