Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I noticed a waterleak on my 998, it was some coolant under the bike one day. I checked coolant tank, hoses and so. What I saw, was some small leakage from nut-threads on headbolt. I dismantle cambelt cover and there was same leak at that side as well. Today I stripped down more of the bike, I see some waterdrops on the rear cylinder headbolt as well. First I thought it midt be the headgasket, but it feels strange that both headgasket is blown. The bike works as normal, only has this waterleak... The bike has not been used much in the later time, only 12000km on speedo. Tried to run it 1-2 trips each year... When I drained coolant, it looked a bit dark, maybe there is some oil in it? Cannot see any creamy stuff in coolant hoses and so.... Any suggestions?

·
Registered
335 Posts
check the coolant filler tank! they have a habit of splitting open! if you went out for a run.....atomised coolant will collect wherever it can! check that tank at the top first!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply👍 Today I filled the system up with water and pressurized it, near 1bar. Right before the coolant filler top open on high pressure. After about 30 min it came a water drop on the right lower headbolt of the cylinder in front. I did not check the other cylinder because I had put the cambelt cover on. So there is some leak somewhere, Think it must be the headgaskets....

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
Clean the engine THOROUGHLY. START AND RUN THE BIKE IN COMPLETE darkness and shin a UV light where the leak is likely to be. COOLANT will fluores under the UV. So you will see it just where and when it starts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for smart tips. But I know where the coolant leaks, it is through the headbolt threads. I have a feeling that If I do the big job changing headgaskets, it will not be Ok. Have you heard any about cracks in cylinder og head, as a common problem od ducati?

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
I’ve seen bad corrosion on gaskets and water jackets in track bikes that I’ve serviced when they don’t run coolant but never a cracked head or cylinder.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 749 where when I took off the head found 2 of those copper expansion plugs (welch plug) that blank off the water ways corroded resulting in a leak where you describe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts